Unpopular Motoring Opinion Thread

UltraWomble

4 minutes ago, Supernaut said:

learners aren't allowed on motorways.

I think this relates to

26 minutes ago, MiniMinorMk3 said:

1,000,000 drivers out there who have not picked up a Highway Code in over 40 years

Because they can and should use motorways now

4 minutes ago, Supernaut said:

That holds water, as learners aren't allowed on motorways.

Thus, how is one to learn how to use a motorway before gaining a full license and being let loose on the world?

I'm sure my first few expeditions onto motorways weren't exactly perfect.

I think they've changed the law, I'm fairly sure that learners are allowed on the motorway now.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Rust Collector said:

I think they've changed the law, I'm fairly sure that learners are allowed on the motorway now.

Yes, this is true. I think only with a proper driving instructor rather than with parents/older siblings on L plates

• Agree 2

I was very lucky to live in a town with a 3-lane 'Dual Carriageway' (the A2 just outside of Gravesend) so before learners were allowed on the motorway, I could learn on what was effectively a motorway.  Those few lessons were absolutely invaluable and I'm so glad the law has changed.

Retesting everyone would be a massive PITA. Spend the money on more traffic police, if needs be incentivise them on convictions. Picking off all those 8 year old Audis with Madri and cocaine fuelled driver’s would be like shelling peas. Make the fines big enough to deter.

Problem is this will never happen as unfortunately we’ve gone down the road of being too easy on people, unfortunately sometimes you don’t get the best out of people by promising them ice cream after dinner. 

31 minutes ago, horriblemercedes said:

Yes, this is true. I think only with a proper driving instructor rather than with parents/older siblings on L plates

Yep.  Only with an ADR registered instructor.

Which, quite frankly, is a bollocks rule.  I've taught a few people to drive, and it would have been beneficial to take them on a quick hop on the motorway for experience before the test.

You're either competent to supervise a Learner or not.   And most people are not..  3yrs and over 21 is just not enough qualification to supervise a Learner.

45 minutes ago, juular said:

Does Germany have any motorway specific training / test involved in getting licences? I found it a lot easier and more relaxing to drive there, even doing 100mph in a van!

German test is significantly more extensive than UK test.  it involves motorway driving, night-time driving and I think also some wet weather experience is needed.  It's a much more involved process.

• Like 1

Sorry @sierramanI have sinned. I've just put the bins out and it ain't 5pm yet.  But not sure Canterbury Council has any rules about it.

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, egg said:

Sorry @sierramanI have sinned. I've just put the bins out and it ain't 5pm yet.  But not sure Canterbury Council has any rules about it.

Don’t go near any windows for at least 48 hours until I’ve calmed down. 😂

• Haha 3

17 hours ago, Metal Guru said:

Why are wheelie bins so noisy? Our bin lorry has changed its route and now turns up before 7am instead of around 11 am, so I have to put my bin out the night before. Trouble is I nearly always forget until I’m going to bed , usually sometime after 11. When I do, every house I can see has no lights on and looks like everyone has gone to bed. As a result , ever revolution of the bin wheels , sounds like a  big bass drum of a marching band.

(Halfway through writing this it dawned on me, that everyone goes to bed early, because the bin lorry will wake them up shortly after 6).

Saw this and immediately hit the quote button to tell you the secret to quiet bin maneuvering, but then... 

2 hours ago, Talbot said:

Try this one wierd trick:  (no really, this actually works...)

Balance it on one wheel while rolling it.  I know that sounds utterly stupid, but a wheelie bin (especially when empty) balanced on one wheel is noticeably quieter than when on both wheels.

Absolutely no idea why.  It just is.

Not recommended when it weighs as much as a small moon, or if you're trying to move it over gravel or some other impossible surface.

Yup, it works. 

42 minutes ago, sierraman said:

Retesting everyone would be a massive PITA. Spend the money on more traffic police, if needs be incentivise them on convictions. Picking off all those 8 year old Audis with Madri and cocaine fuelled driver’s would be like shelling peas. Make the fines big enough to deter.

Problem is this will never happen as unfortunately we’ve gone down the road of being too easy on people, unfortunately sometimes you don’t get the best out of people by promising them ice cream after dinner. 

Fuck living in a police state. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, yes oui si said:

Fuck living in a police state. 

It's better than living in a retard state.

• Haha 2
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Rust Collector said:

Driving across Germany in the V8 Lexus was an absolute joy.

'Twas so even in a 2.0HDi Blingo!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Cavcraft said:

Audi TTs.

Soz, but they're not a nice car to own or drive. Whoever (in the motoring press, imho) called them a poor man's 911 had either taken a life threatening amount of hard drugs in one go, or the 911 is a crap car.

I agree about the TT and was seriously underwhelmed with the 911 I drove.....

7 minutes ago, Urko said:

I agree about the TT and was seriously underwhelmed with the 911 I drove.....

Fair play that you stuck it out and gave them of the benefit of the doubt and even after trying 910 TTs, you still tried one more

• Haha 8

9 minutes ago, Urko said:

underwhelmed with the 911 I drove.....

Took a tiptronic 911 for a test drive about 2007and felt the same way. It wasn't as quick,  comfortable or responsive as the 2002 Impreza WRX we drove down there.

Unlike the Impreza, I'm reasonably sure that 911 still exists.😁

1 hour ago, nev_jr said:

Ford haven’t made an aesthetically pleasing car since the Mondeo ST220. 

I hated the Mustang Mach E at first but at side of some of the aberrations I’ve seen especially from BMW, it looks well. 

29 minutes ago, sierraman said:

I hated the Mustang Mach E at first but at side of some of the aberrations I’ve seen especially from BMW, it looks well. 

They're fucking huge though. Although I accept that that's a modern car thing.

2 hours ago, nev_jr said:

Mk6 fiesta in zetec s or st150 spec? Though I suppose we are talking same period. 

2 hours ago, nev_jr said:

I find the MK4 Mondeo alright.

4 hours ago, Bazfr69 said:

A Smart in all its varieties can be a fun and rewarding car to drive. 

The 3 second wait between every gear change doesn’t annoy you ?

1 hour ago, twosmoke300 said:

The 3 second wait between every gear change doesn’t annoy you ?

If you have one for a while your driving style adapts to the gear box.
I always found them an engaging drive and if the shift does annoy you, you can drive around it with the paddles or in manual mode very effectively. 
The roadster gearbox feels quite different to the fortwo as well not to mention our last one had a DSG box that was almost as decent as the current one in our VW. 

Ofc I love them as a car so biased. 😊

5 hours ago, Garythesnail said:

Took a tiptronic 911 for a test drive about 2007and felt the same way. It wasn't as quick,  comfortable or responsive as the 2002 Impreza WRX we drove down there.

Unlike the Impreza, I'm reasonably sure that 911 still exists.😁

I did one of those track days where you get to drive a few supercars. I have a WRX too and drove a 911 that day, and would have to say I agree.

On 25/03/2024 at 18:13, nev_jr said:

Ford haven’t made an aesthetically pleasing car since the Granada Ghia Coupe

Corrected for factualness