Opinions on thread deletion…let’s try again…

NorthernMonkey

Members delete options  

114 members have voted

1. 1. Do we change the delete settings as described?

• No deletion of threads
    • No deletion of threads AND posts
    • Step back and leave it well alone

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 27/04/24 at 19:00

5 minutes ago, loserone said:

It's also been mentioned several times before that the eBay tat threads have been key resources in gathering a cars history 

I ended up with my ZAZ 968 by opening the ebay tat thread and not realising that I was reading a page about 6 months behind where the last post (that I'd seen on the activity screen and had prompted me to open the thread) and managing to track down the advert in an obscure Facebook group.

IMG_1084.thumb.JPG.1e8c35672e87b4fe7557a269b99c049f.JPG

I've also read and enjoyed some ancient/dormant threads on here, for example I found @Mr_Bo11ox's thread detailing the work on his car trailer helpful, as he converted it from rods to cables which is a job I need to undertake. If we binned off old threads then all that useful info and pictures, or even just entertaining content that shaped the forum, would be lost. That defeats the point of a forum IMO.

I think we should be able to delete our own content if we feel the need to (I'm struggling to think of a reason why but I'm sure there are valid ones), but by the same token people should be grownups and not just bin off all their content/entire threads to spite everyone else whilst in the throes of a tantrum. The way things are set currently should work to be fair, if we could all be trusted not to be dicks.

2 hours ago, Rust Collector said:

The way things are set currently should work to be fair, if we could all be trusted not to be dicks.

This is the problem though, can anyone be trusted to never act like a dick?

One moment of anger/drunkenness etc could see a whole thread, of mostly other people's posts, deleted.  Regretting it the next day won't bring that thread back.

1 hour ago, adw1977 said:

This is the problem though, can anyone be trusted to never act like a dick?

One moment of anger/drunkenness etc could see a whole thread, of mostly other people's posts, deleted.  Regretting it the next day won't bring that thread back.

Although it does look like a mod can reinstate a deleted post as it was just done with L1s demo strop thread about cheap electric cars.

I guess if we decide not to do anything, as the poll seems to suggest, we could always just request a modmin to reinstate a thread if it's got a decent amount of contributions on and will be missed?

Either way we are not going to see the scenario too often but FWIW I voted for post deletion but not threads. If you want to flounce, you can still delete/edit your posts in a thread, arguably this gets you even more attention than just deleting the whole thread so it's a win/win

8 minutes ago, Dave_Q said:

Although it does look like a mod can reinstate a deleted post as it was just done with L1s demo strop thread about cheap electric cars

It's only available for undeletion for 30 days. So if it was forgotten about longer than it, it'd be gone for good. Apart from those on this part of the forum where they are archived by archive.org.

In terms of GDPR, I believe there are exemptions for "Processing for archiving purposes in the public interest, scientific or historical research purposes or statistical purposes"

So presumably that means any posts or threads about recording the history of a car (basically this main part of the forum) is exempt from right of deletion.

51 minutes ago, SiC said:

It's only available for undeletion for 30 days. So if it was forgotten about longer than it, it'd be gone for good. Apart from those on this part of the forum where they are archived by archive.org.

And presumably if it wasn't just me having a strop to make a point, it wouldn't have been undeleted if I or whoevers thread "it was" - whoever started it - didn't agree to reinstatement.  

7 hours ago, loserone said:

And presumably if it wasn't just me having a strop to make a point, it wouldn't have been undeleted if I or whoevers thread "it was" - whoever started it - didn't agree to reinstatement.  

Within the 30 days there can be reinstatement on request, but yeah if it hadn’t been requested it wouldn’t have been reinstated. 

Yes, I can see uncertainty on how to interpret these results, if the votes stay as they are now.  Leave alone has the most votes but not a majority.  

Presumably all those voting "no deletion of threads and posts" would also support "no deletion of threads" ?

In terms of GDPR, I believe there are exemptions for "Processing for archiving purposes in the public interest, scientific or historical research purposes or statistical purposes"
So presumably that means any posts or threads about recording the history of a car (basically this main part of the forum) is exempt from right of deletion.

I’ve worked a lot in this area and that’s a leap. The rules are qualified further re ownership and that layer trumps the interest. The forum owners need to pass their opinions as they are ultimately responsible.

Back to the is it still the same original owner/registrant as that’s also webtrawled before they went anon.

Gzongenflatch

On 20/04/2024 at 21:20, Spiny Norman said:

I've said that about the three eBay threads on here for ages, I get there are one or two people who get itchy at the thought of losing content but links to eBay ads more than a few weeks old are pointless, and the threads run on for hundreds of pages. They are literally a waste of space.

True, but the amount of space that the posts take up is tiny.  Really very tiny indeed.  The overwhelming majority of storage on AS is images.  (it was overwhelmed by videos at one point too, but that's been fixed a while back).  The amount of data that the forum itself takes up is essentially insignificant compared to the image storage, so keeping the several million posts that we have on here is really not an issue.

As I've mentioned before, deleting threads makes absolutely bugger-all difference to the storage we have.  Please don't do it!

However, if you've got a 3.4GB file stored on AS servers, absolutely delete that. (actually, I would already have removed it!)

• 3 weeks later...