Opinions on thread deletion…let’s try again…

NorthernMonkey

Members delete options  

114 members have voted

1. 1. Do we change the delete settings as described?

• No deletion of threads
    • No deletion of threads AND posts
    • Step back and leave it well alone

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 27/04/24 at 19:00

Since the original poll has gone tits up due to me adding another option, let’s try again.

Basically three lines of thought…

a) No deletion of threads once others have joined in, except by request to a member of staff in certain circumstances. Posts can be edited and/or removed by the OP as is currently the case.

b) No deletion of threads OR general posts, comments etc once again as above.

c) Leave it as it is.

Thoughts, views welcome as before 🙂

I think self-deletion of threads is fair game if let's say it's in the FAQ section and maybe a question has been answered and probably is no longer needed to be up - so other threads can therefore take precedent on the page etc. However this seems to be the minority of cases and thread deletion seems to be a vehicle for deleting whole conversations, which is a bit annoying.

My idea: stop _all_ deletion of all content (other than mod/admin deletions), but keep the edit function. If somebody wants to remove their content for whatever reason, they can edit it all out so you just have an empty post itself.

I vote no deletion of threads on the basis of a few times in the past spending a reasonable amount of time and energy gathering my thoughts/answering a question only to find the whole thread deleted a day or two later.  I’m probably a bit less likely to put the effort in knowing it could all amount to nothing. 

1 hour ago, willswitchengage said:

I think self-deletion of threads is fair game if let's say it's in the FAQ section and maybe a question has been answered and probably is no longer needed to be up - so other threads can therefore take precedent on the page etc. However this seems to be the minority of cases and thread deletion seems to be a vehicle for deleting whole conversations, which is a bit annoying.

My idea: stop _all_ deletion of all content (other than mod/admin deletions), but keep the edit function. If somebody wants to remove their content for whatever reason, they can edit it all out so you just have an empty post itself.

However, in the example of the FAQ section, the record is as useful for future people reading the forum as it is in the moment for the OP. And how often have there been useful further discussions or things added to, by somebody who's stumbled upon a question that might already have been answered, but can add some context/further advice/an amusing anecdote...

41 minutes ago, inconsistant said:

I vote no deletion of threads on the basis of a few times in the past spending a reasonable amount of time and energy gathering my thoughts/answering a question only to find the whole thread deleted a day or two later.  I’m probably a bit less likely to put the effort in knowing it could all amount to nothing. 

That's....life though. 

People should be able to delete their own threads if they see fit, period. They don't need a reason nor should we remove the function. 

If you're less likely to put content or posts into a forum because the OP might delete the thread forums probably aren't for you. That's like worrying about spending time finding a good takeaway in case they decide to shut up shop. 

4 hours ago, willswitchengage said:

This seems a reasonable middle ground to me. 

10 hours ago, CGSB said:

Why does everything need meddling with? Its worked fine for years - leave well alone.

No it hasn't.  People have gone back and deleted long standing threads, or deleted all their posts in a thread, making bits of it unreadable.  We had a fairly significant thought process on ensuring that all photos remain visible on old threads as otherwise they become unreadable, the same should (IMO) be true of comments and posts.  When you remove parts of the conversation, it makes no sense.

Yes, posts need to be able to be edited for spelling and other errors for a while, but once it's been up for a bit, IMO it should stay.  It's "published" at that point.

12 hours ago, worldofceri said:

It’s not ‘your’ thread though is it? Even if you started it, you only have ownership of your own contribution, not other people’s replies.

This 100%. Once a thread has replies it no longer belongs to the OP but has become communal property and every contributor has an equal stake, so it's not right that only one of those contributors has the power to delete everyone else's posts. No ordinary user (moderators excepted) should be able to delete any content other than their own, but there are valid reasons why someone might want to delete their own posts. The fairest policy would be to allow deletion of posts but not threads, and if a thread starter really wants to have an entire thread nuked then they should have to justify that to the moderators.

It's happened before on other forums and was mightily annoying when I'd spent time writing a reply, only to find my effort wasted as it disappeared with no warning when the OP unexpectedly and without explanation deleted the thread.

Nothing wrong with self moderation.

Occasional foot/mouth gathering happens and people should be able to retract/change /delete there opinion or post.  Like a prominent member who we shall call Daphne  (not his real name) recently who wanted to retract some of his posts for personal reasons.

19 hours ago, SmokinWaffle said:

That's....life though. 

People should be able to delete their own threads if they see fit, period. They don't need a reason nor should we remove the function. 

Exactly .

We don't need our nappies changed over things like this.

I deleted my own fleet threads because there was little to no interest and it was just taking up bandwidth. But I'd never touch any thread that I created and I can see people care about. Even the LCBL Audi thread as my ownership is just a part of its appreciable history on the forum.

Anyone who isn't grown-up enough to act in this way or is just attention seeking quickly gets flushed out and either ignored or they move on.

Has anyone in “authority” read the GDPR regs for personal data? By having registration the data is usually deemed personal and therefore either a user can delete or a mod would have to delete everything upon request including quotes so be careful what you wish for.

Gzongenflatch

21 hours ago, bangernomics said:

Has anyone in “authority” read the GDPR regs for personal data? By having registration the data is usually deemed personal and therefore either a user can delete or a mod would have to delete everything upon request including quotes so be careful what you wish for.

Gzongenflatch

This is not true, as a forum owner I have had to fully investigate this. In law, anything posted on a public forum becomes the property of that forum (my forum makes this clear in the sign up agreement).  Under GDPR regulations, the forum owner or administrator must remove anything that can identify the poster on request in a reasonable time frame. Deleting the user but leaving the posts in place will satisfy GDPR regs.

I’d disagree if that user is identified let’s say via a post a pic of yourself thread then they are identified.

Anything that you state in the t&c is not enforceable especially if it’s a click n ignore.

If you want to play the publisher role then you’re also ultimately liable for the content and I can’t see anyone who owns the domain wanting to be liable for content somehow.

What is the official position re copyright from the domain owners? Who are the domain owners?

Gzongenflatch

18 minutes ago, Minimad5 said:

If the thread dies off, and it's picture heavy - I vote bin.

This'll save space on Autoshite HDD, for further allegro pictures 😅

I've said that about the three eBay threads on here for ages, I get there are one or two people who get itchy at the thought of losing content but links to eBay ads more than a few weeks old are pointless, and the threads run on for hundreds of pages. They are literally a waste of space.

And yet we've just had a thread restored which is literally eBay tat for EVs.

It's also been mentioned several times before that the eBay tat threads have been key resources in gathering a cars history