Unnatural Desires

Dobloseven

A couple of Shiters have admitted becoming aroused to some degree by Morris Itals.As someone who actually experienced one in the eighties,I find that pretty unnatural.But live and let live,I say,each to their own.What's yours?Mines currently a MK4 Mondeo.Ideally an estate,but it must be dark blue with cloth seats and those milk bottle top wheel trims.Did see one the other day,think it belonged to a volunteer at the local steam museum.None of this Tit tanium nonsense.Snowflake wheels are for snowflakes!Realised over twenty five years too late,that despite being by no means a Labour voter.in many ways I am Tony Blairs Mondeo Man.The Blair,and later,Brown,years were a bit of a purple patch for me.Self employment,new cars and caravans.Children did well at school and in further education.Buy to let property etc.,things did get better as the song suggested.And now I should pay homage.Come on you lot, your secret's safe.........

I look at a Morris Ital and I think "Poor Man's Volvo 240".

I have a thing for those utilitarian 4x4s like the UAZ Hunter (or whatever the communist era code number was for it) and the Lada Niva. Perhaps the current Suzuki Jimny counts as well. I have absolutely no use for a 4x4. Do they count?

Another Vectra, but I'd like a doom blue Envoy 1.6 8v (the 75hp one). Or a Mk3 Astra Merit.

I also quite liked @JMotor's T-reg Maestro, in all its grim-ness.

30 minutes ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

Another Vectra, but I'd like a doom blue Envoy 1.6 8v (the 75hp one). Or a Mk3 Astra Merit.

I also quite liked @JMotor's T-reg Maestro, in all its grim-ness.

Ohhh you poor sod 😆.

Aye the Maestro is peak grim for me. But by golly it does car without fuss.

It also doesn't punish you. It starts first time, easy to fix, cheap to run and will transport you to your destination. 

I'd love to try a Lada Riva sometime to compare it to the Maestro.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

you are one very sick person!

• Haha 2

Talbot Alpine, an early one with the white bumpers.

Mk2 Avensis saloon in black.

Moskvich 408 or 412

FSO Polonez

Hyundai XG30

• Like 2

1.8 TC Marina 2dr, or a posh landcrab.

Edit: I really mean the green, 1 owner 2-litre Vitesse I saw in Waitrose carpark some years ago.

Everyone should experience a messrina/shital to understand why we no longer have a motor industry in the UK .

The all-round awfulness has to be driven to be believed so as to understand that Clarkson wasn't just being  sarcastic, listen to people who lived through the bl plughole of doom era , then drive a competitor especially something Japanese of the period only the rampant rust slowed  the inevitable onslaught . which once sorted drove the final nails in.

Unlike the rest of the industry that realised it had better up it's game bl continued as be fore using 30 plus year old tech in 20 year old designs relying on a dwindling clientele.

8 hours ago, eddyramrod said:

Another vote here for the Polonez.  Also, hearses.

Ditto Polonez. Am curious about what they were like to drive.

8 hours ago, High Jetter said:

1.8 TC Marina 2dr, or a posh landcrab.

Edit: I really mean the green, 1 owner 2-litre Vitesse I saw in Waitrose carpark some years ago.

Jubilee i hope.

I had one really early in my motoring life, it was a Jubilee but the Vinyl roof was a dark blue rather than black and it had really blue sundym glass in it 

image.png.21f7ecfa99fa2c89c73df0e255f5652b.png

• Like 2

Whatever happened to the 60hp family estate car?

spacer.png

One of these might be nice but they're an awful lot of money and I'd need to drive one before I committed, because they could be brilliant or the worst shite ever to drop out of a Japanese arsehole.

Failing that, an HC with its distinctive whine wouldn't go amiss.

spacer.png

• Like 3

9 hours ago, sheffcortinacentre said:

Everyone should experience a messrina/shital to understand why we no longer have a motor industry in the UK .

The all-round awfulness has to be driven to be believed so as to understand that Clarkson wasn't just being  sarcastic, listen to people who lived through the bl plughole of doom era , then drive a competitor especially something Japanese of the period only the rampant rust slowed  the inevitable onslaught . which once sorted drove the final nails in.

Unlike the rest of the industry that realised it had better up it's game bl continued as be fore using 30 plus year old tech in 20 year old designs relying on a dwindling clientele.

I think it was that mentality of ‘we know best’ that caused them problems. The Chris Cowin book is quite an objective look at those times. 

Honestly, i thought this was going to be a thread about fancying the redhead Anni-Fred from Abba rather than the blonde Agnetha 

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, ProgRocker said:

Ditto Polonez. Am curious about what they were like to drive.

Heavy and old-fashioned, but not in a bad way; more reassuring than that.  Considering the rear was leaf-sprung, they were remarkably comfy.  You could viably compare one to an Austin A60, for example.  Being a hatchback, when you folded the back seat down the resulting space was cavernous.  I had a kitchen table and two chairs in one, along with two full-sized bicycles.  I don't know if this applies throughout the model's life, but our two (built in the mid-80s) had four-wheel disc brakes, which were very nice to have!

A Polonez with a 1.8 MX5 engine, auto box and power steering would be a terrific daily.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1