Maestro perverts. I know you're on here...

motorpunk

11 hours ago, JMotor said:

Got some more pics of the Ledbury from the last owner.

received_2020341524986511.thumb.jpeg.ad5a6104db68acb6f4e16e432fcf9f1f.jpeg

It's been lowered. Did ask if he had the original shocks. Unfortunately he didn't have them.

So far this is the extent of the arch rust. Doesn't look toooo bad I think?

received_222094163852166.thumb.jpeg.10bee1b4fd6d1e37ad4357946ffb743a.jpeg

received_6090784987693893.thumb.jpeg.0ae5c59f9f0bba25248f4bf1436b0dd6.jpeg

So I'm hoping I can scab some repair sections from the extra pair of  front wings I'm getting with it.

@andy18s cheers for the heads up and also exposing my lack of self restraint for sodding Maestros 😆.

Those arches look way better than mine were. @vulgalour is our resident expert on Maestro rear arches. 

I have some standard* shocks but no standard springs unfortunately. 

*Fronts taken from an EFi but they're Sachs/Boge so not original fit. I also have some unused pattern rear ones that would be perfect. Yours for going rate minus shiter discount. 

On 9/9/2023 at 8:02 AM, grogee said:

Those arches look way better than mine were. @vulgalour is our resident expert on Maestro rear arches. 

I have some standard* shocks but no standard springs unfortunately. 

*Fronts taken from an EFi but they're Sachs/Boge so not original fit. I also have some unused pattern rear ones that would be perfect. Yours for going rate minus shiter discount. 

Hopefully they won't be utter litter to sort. They have been filled before, so hopefully the grot doesn't go too far in. 

I shall bear the shockers in mind. Going to wait until the car is with me. That gent known as @worldofceri is fetching it up for me. I'm stupid, but not THAT stupid to drive it home 😆.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, JMotor said:

Hopefully they won't be utter litter to sort. They have been filled before, so hopefully the grot doesn't go too far in. 

I shall bear the shockers in mind. Going to wait until the car is with me. That gent known as @worldofceri is fetching it up for me. I'm stupid, but not a THAT stupid to drive it home 😆.

Welcome. 

You'll never leave. 

Depending on the quality of the repair, you might find yourself having to redo those arches completely.  Looks a functional repair in the photos, just depends on how they dealt with the inners really.  You might just need to whizz a flap wheel over the outside and splash a little filler and paint on.

3 hours ago, vulgalour said:

Depending on the quality of the repair, you might find yourself having to redo those arches completely.  Looks a functional repair in the photos, just depends on how they dealt with the inners really.  You might just need to whizz a flap wheel over the outside and splash a little filler and paint on.

After seeing the *joy you had with yours. I'll try to mentally prepare for the misery that will unfold when I dig into mine.

The Nexia I owned taught me a hard lesson about that. Damn lucky I could get panels to sort that mess out. Visually it was only a very small section that was rotten. 

DSC_0015.thumb.JPG.e6bbade938391c10081c4ae7c2d5f9c2.JPG

Think for now, I'll leave mine alone for the short term. Because no doubt there be other issues to sort first.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JMotor said:

ess out. Visually it was only a very small section that was rotten. 

DSC_0015.thumb.JPG.e6bbade938391c10081c4ae7c2d5f9c2.JPG

Think for now, I'll leave mine alone for the short term. Because no doubt there be other issues to sort first

Ah it'll be reet. Been using an ancient austin all weekend as family transport (fucking useless fiesta) and its been grand.

• Like 2

Here's my dear departed Dad's '85 Maestro with my half brother and sister poking out of the sunroof. 

I used to really look forward to riding in this car. It was fairly well behaved too, AFAIK it didn't "do a Leyland" on him. 

45154237_IMG_20210207_1616248502.jpg.77b65134c47da2e9cc2ffe5380b7f278.jpg

Great thread. I managed to acquire a 1.3 Maestro for my son's first car for the princely sum of £100, okay it was 20yrs ago. Cost us £80 to get it through a MoT and looked utterly shite. It was red, with partial hand painted doors and sills in red primer. Ran that thing for years. Simply refused to die. His mate laughed at him when he got it. Thet didn't when their cars broke down had his was the only one running. Great little car. [Sorry, no photos.]

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, JMotor said:

On the Nova?

Yeah no bother. It is a project tho. Might do a for sale ad on here. Then I can post all teh pics then.

Good god no. I meant the maestro. The state of my finances, I can barely dream of a maestro. A novas far too rich for my blood 😆

12 hours ago, grogee said:

@JMotor you're truly one of life's winners.

There's two types of people in this world, Maestro owners and wannabe Maestro owners. 

May your indicators remain functional. 

I feel as if joined a very exclusive club. That no sane person wants a part of. Which I like. 

12 hours ago, Matty said:

Good god no. I meant the maestro. The state of my finances, I can barely dream of a maestro. A novas far too rich for my blood 😆

Hahah, no worries. I shall get more deets and photaes this coming week. A-Series is a sweetie too.

22 minutes ago, motorpunk said:

Tell us MORE!

I worked in parts for Caffyns at branches that had AR group franchises. For some reason I got paid to go to both Maestro & Montego launch events, had a new Acclaim demo to drive up to one IIRC.

@JMotor here are some "stock" (but MG) springs for sale. This is the second time they've been listed so the guy is probably open to offers.

MG springs are probably stiffer than cooking models but not necessarily lower. So will restore your ride height. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/335043421392?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=VCA9B9tZS2u&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=2Z40wC2iSsq&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

@grogee

Cheers for the heads up. I'll have a ganders at them. 

I got mine insured and taxed at the weekend. 

What a good going thing it is! Then discovered a patch of oil under it....

Was very lucky to spot that the oil filter was slack. Because it was the wrong one! It wouldn't tighten. Found the right number on the Mann Hummel site and luckily the factors had one in stock.

• Like 3

On 9/19/2023 at 8:46 AM, motorpunk said:

Tell us MORE!

(I went to the launch of the MG6 at Longbridge, the teacups were stuck to the saucers with mould. I like such details.)

So did I..

I've also owned a load of Maestros

1 hour ago, JMotor said:

@grogee

Cheers for the heads up. I'll have a ganders at them. 

I got mine insured and taxed at the weekend. 

What a good going thing it is! Then discovered a patch of oil under it....

Was very lucky to spot that the oil filter was slack. Because it was the wrong one! It wouldn't tighten. Found the right number on the Mann Hummel site and luckily the factors had one in stock.

Blimey. That's a rescue from certain death, well done. Hopefully you can get some miles under your belt now. Happy maestro-ing. 

Found on the Monstro FB page. 

FB_IMG_1696277838991.thumb.jpg.97c6b272d92babc2b5e685a1d8a06d1d.jpg

So that's a Vauxhall ZLET or LEH in a Montego/Maestro engine bay. 

Still looks as if there'll be plenty of room left when it's done too. As I was surprised at how large of a space there is! 

• Like 3