New members, introduce yourself here.

Wilko220

Hi everyone,

I'm from the UK originally but now live in Mexico. I've owned a wide variety of old sheds over the years, and often ship UK cars over here to play around with and sell on when I'm bored with them. Over the past 10 years or so I've had:

1997 Volvo 850 T5

2x MR2s, 1 turbo and 1 non turbo

5x Jaguar XJs 2003-2006

3x Range Rovers 2006-2008

4x Rolls Royce Silver Shadows 1975-1979

More Land Rover 110s than I can count

My current fleet consists of a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 5.7 hemi, a 2003 Lincoln Town Car, an ex military 1987 Land Rover 110, a 1994 Land Rover Defender 110 and a 2013 Cayenne.  I've read these forums for years but never signed up until now. I'm not a mechanic but I do have a lot of experience buying old sheds so hopefully I can help a few people out along the way.

I was hoping to be able to access the classified ads but it looks like I'm not able to, maybe because I don't have enough time or posts? I'll leave a few pictures below of some of my past and current cars.

IMG_9388.jpeg

IMG_9361.jpeg

IMG_9239.jpeg

IMG_8997.jpeg

IMG_8959.jpeg

IMG_6990.jpeg

Hello everyone,

Self-identified Alfista and serial basket case purchaser here. Some of the people on here may know me from the different venues of the internet. People usually have problems remembering the cars they had for these, but I have no such issues - I've never sold a car 😄

I have, in no particular order:

2007 Alfa 159 1.9 16v

2003 Alfa 156 1.9 8v

1992 Alfa 155 1.8 TS 8v

1992 Mazda 626 2.0i

1976 VW Beetle 1200J

2003 Peugeot 307CC 2.0

1979 Mini 1300

2003 Yugo 1.3

1992 Yugo Cabrio

2x Citroen BX Break - 1.7 and 1.9 diesel

1984 Golf I 1.6D

2003 Fiat Bravo 1.6

1998 Citroen Saxo VTR

1,5 x BMW E21 1.5

No, they're not all driveable, let alone insured and registered, why? No, I don't own a huge estate and storing them is a PAIN. 😄

Pleasure meeting you guys!

1 hour ago, IronStar said:

Hello everyone,

Self-identified Alfista and serial basket case purchaser here. Some of the people on here may know me from the different venues of the internet. People usually have problems remembering the cars they had for these, but I have no such issues - I've never sold a car 😄

2007 Alfa 159 1.9 16v

2003 Alfa 156 1.9 8v

1992 Alfa 155 1.8 TS 8v

1992 Mazda 626 2.0i

1976 VW Beetle 1200J

2003 Peugeot 307CC 2.0

1979 Mini 1300

2003 Yugo 1.3

1992 Yugo Cabrio

1984 Golf I 1.6D

2003 Fiat Bravo 1.6

1998 Citroen Saxo VTR

1,5 x BMW E21 1.5

No, they're not all driveable, let alone insured and registered, why? No, I don't own a huge estate and storing them is a PAIN. 😄

welcome.. That's some list. would love to know more about the Yugos

Hi everyone,

I have a number of classic cars that I have restored and am in the process of restoring and daily drive a 2007 Ford Fiesta known as 'The nailesta' because of its general rundown state and rusty bodywork.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, wesacosa said:

welcome.. That's some list. would love to know more about the Yugos

I live in the homeland of Yugos, so whilst they are a highly endangered species, there are still some around, mostly in different states of disrepair. There's been a sort of Yugo renaissance for the last couple of years, with prices of parts soaring and prices of actually nice or special ones exploding.

I bought the '03 one in 2021,  to steer my thoughts away from some stuff that was happening at that time, which is a common theme with the cars in the fleet(*). The original intent was to do it up a bit and drive around. I realized the stuff from the first paragraph, and that if I want to have one, the time is running out to find one that isn't rusted to hell at a reasonable price. I ordered a bunch of parts, some of which I had to wait for months for, nicer interior, the lot, but rapidly ran out of time (and honestly, arsed a bit) to finish it up.

Parallel with that, and all other cars really, I've been looking for a Yugo Cabrio for years. Zastava made only 500ish of them, with a bit under half being exported outside of ex-Yugoslavia. They rust as bad as normal ones, probably even worse when the roof inevitably leaks, and they were treated as disposable, as any other Yugo, so there's next to none left. Whilst the front end is the same as a regular Yugo, there are a bunch of differences and cabrio-specific parts that can be only sourced from another one or what little Zastava had in stock when they closed the doors in '08 and sold off everything. They are commanding crazy prices when they crop up for what they are (upwards of 6-7k for one that needs work but can be driven), so I took a gamble on a really leggy one that was mostly complete in July last year. All the parts I bought for the first one and didn't go on the car ended up on a Cabrio, plus a bunch more that needed to be added to the list. I was really hoping it would be - get someone to sort out the mechanicals quickly, replace the leaking roof as the bodywork looked decent, and drive it to a vacation.  However. It was in a crash at some point and terribly repaired, and under the factory bodykit, floorboard reinforcements and carpets were shoddy repair work, bent structural parts, and rust. LOTS of rust.  Almost every panel on the car needs replacing, welding, patching, or some sort of re-fabrication. 

It's been sitting in a bodywork shop since December. It's priority 999 in the shop as there's so much work and they can't make next day money on it, so it's taking forever. So far, another completely rotten Cabrio shell was cut up for bits, another whole regular Yugo was used for bits, and we ordered every single available NOS panel for it. ETA? No one knows.

As for the regular one, it's sitting in front of the garage, interior partially disassembled for me to find time to deal with it to find it's way on the car priority list so I pay someone to work on it. Oh and I need to order all the parts that were ordered for it originally, again.

Oh, they are both 1.3, twin-barrel carb. Some 65HP when new.

Bonus photos of a collection pic of a regular one and a pre-bodyshop pic of Cabrio.

IMG_20210919_133446.jpg

IMG_1217.jpg

• Like 9

8 hours ago, IronStar said:

I live in the homeland of Yugos, so whilst they are a highly endangered species, there are still some around, mostly in different states of disrepair. There's been a sort of Yugo renaissance for the last couple of years, with prices of parts soaring and prices of actually nice or special ones exploding.

I bought the '03 one in 2021,  to steer my thoughts away from some stuff that was happening at that time, which is a common theme with the cars in the fleet(*). The original intent was to do it up a bit and drive around. I realized the stuff from the first paragraph, and that if I want to have one, the time is running out to find one that isn't rusted to hell at a reasonable price. I ordered a bunch of parts, some of which I had to wait for months for, nicer interior, the lot, but rapidly ran out of time (and honestly, arsed a bit) to finish it up.

Parallel with that, and all other cars really, I've been looking for a Yugo Cabrio for years. Zastava made only 500ish of them, with a bit under half being exported outside of ex-Yugoslavia. They rust as bad as normal ones, probably even worse when the roof inevitably leaks, and they were treated as disposable, as any other Yugo, so there's next to none left. Whilst the front end is the same as a regular Yugo, there are a bunch of differences and cabrio-specific parts that can be only sourced from another one or what little Zastava had in stock when they closed the doors in '08 and sold off everything. They are commanding crazy prices when they crop up for what they are (upwards of 6-7k for one that needs work but can be driven), so I took a gamble on a really leggy one that was mostly complete in July last year. All the parts I bought for the first one and didn't go on the car ended up on a Cabrio, plus a bunch more that needed to be added to the list. I was really hoping it would be - get someone to sort out the mechanicals quickly, replace the leaking roof as the bodywork looked decent, and drive it to a vacation.  However. It was in a crash at some point and terribly repaired, and under the factory bodykit, floorboard reinforcements and carpets were shoddy repair work, bent structural parts, and rust. LOTS of rust.  Almost every panel on the car needs replacing, welding, patching, or some sort of re-fabrication. 

It's been sitting in a bodywork shop since December. It's priority 999 in the shop as there's so much work and they can't make next day money on it, so it's taking forever. So far, another completely rotten Cabrio shell was cut up for bits, another whole regular Yugo was used for bits, and we ordered every single available NOS panel for it. ETA? No one knows.

As for the regular one, it's sitting in front of the garage, interior partially disassembled for me to find time to deal with it to find it's way on the car priority list so I pay someone to work on it. Oh and I need to order all the parts that were ordered for it originally, again.

Oh, they are both 1.3, twin-barrel carb. Some 65HP when new.

Bonus photos of a collection pic of a regular one and a pre-bodyshop pic of Cabrio.

IMG_20210919_133446.jpg

IMG_1217.jpg

very nice thanks 

On 03/06/2024 at 10:20, IronStar said:

Hello everyone,

2007 Alfa 159 1.9 16v

2003 Alfa 156 1.9 8v

1992 Alfa 155 1.8 TS 8v

1992 Mazda 626 2.0i

1976 VW Beetle 1200J

2003 Peugeot 307CC 2.0

1979 Mini 1300

2003 Yugo 1.3

1992 Yugo Cabrio

1984 Golf I 1.6D

2003 Fiat Bravo 1.6

1998 Citroen Saxo VTR

1,5 x BMW E21 1.5

So glad you're on here - finally!

Now get a garage project thread up - it's much easier to keep track of all your shenanigans in one place 😅

4 minutes ago, fatharris said:

So glad you're on here - finally!

Now get a garage project thread up - it's much easier to keep track of all your shenanigans in one place 😅

I have absolutely no idea where to start though. Last year? Year before? BX #1? Alfas? Mazda? Golf? The story of registered* Saxo with bald summer tires that wasn’t driven for 2 years that has been driven back through some 30cm of snow? The story of BX with a working brake, singular, through Belgrade’s rush hour? 😄

Hi, I'm Tim. I have a Fiesta. 12 plate. Rubbish car. 3 cylinder non turbo, povvo spec. I'm here to live vicariously through all you lot.

In days gone by I had an R reg MX5 (MK1). I still weep on seeing MX5s in the wild, as mine long succumbed to the cursed tin worm. I now have kids, and despite the desire to get the wind through what little hair I have left, necessity dictates I need an estate. I thought estates were rubbish, til I had kids. Now I just think new cars are rubbish instead.

Ta!

1 hour ago, Taint said:

Hi, I'm Tim. I have a Fiesta. 12 plate. Rubbish car. 3 cylinder non turbo, povvo spec. I'm here to live vicariously through all you lot.

In days gone by I had an R reg MX5 (MK1). I still weep on seeing MX5s in the wild, as mine long succumbed to the cursed tin worm. I now have kids, and despite the desire to get the wind through what little hair I have left, necessity dictates I need an estate. I thought estates were rubbish, til I had kids. Now I just think new cars are rubbish instead.

Ta!

Estates are awesome and I have no kids 😄

Welcome aboard