The grumpy thread

outlaw118

This is why the UK is so great; there's nothing here that wants to eat or kill me, except possibly domestic cats.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, myglaren said:

I have had a couple like that, it wasn't the fault of the sender but RM's cockup with identifying stamps as fraudulent (they weren't).

I did collect them as the sorting office is only a couple of miles away, but there was also an option to go online and make the payment and they would deliver as normal.

Yeah, I’ve got the pay online option but I don’t know then when they’ll deliver it and whether I’ll be here! Collecting in person is ideal for me, and you’d think they’d prefer not to have to faff about putting the thing back out for delivery. But the way the form is structured makes it quite clear that they really don’t want you going to collect stuff, it’s properly ‘last resort’ as far as they’re concerned.

• Agree 1

I have also had the option to collect from a local PO of my choice.  There is one 100 yds from me.

I am a bit spoiled as the couple who live across the street are our posties for most things.  Only gets awkward when they are on holiday.  I do have a secure place for most packages and they and the Evri man know and use it.

Ma busy having a meltdown, so of course it's my fault.

Idiot sister has arranged for one of her "bezzie mates" to come and dewax Ma's lug holes, rather than you know choose your own professional. Big surprise, no sign of the bint 90 minutes after time, so mood = on.

Ma then fires up pressure cooker, except she's blown up the fusible plug in it and it's just jetting steam everywhere. Well why can't I fix it right now? 'Cos I can't magic spare parts out of thin air! 

38 minutes ago, chadders said:

Adders /Vipers?

If you can find an adder they mostly just want to be left alone, degradation of habitat means there aren't many to find. Wikipedia tells me the last fatality in the UK was in 1975, so it must have been the fault of Harold Wilson. 

14 minutes ago, somewhatfoolish said:

If you can find an adder they mostly just want to be left alone, degradation of habitat means there aren't many to find. Wikipedia tells me the last fatality in the UK was in 1975, so it must have been the fault of Harold Wilson. 

Last adder I saw, I ran over 

I thought it was a piece of rope left in the road, a country lane, didn't realise it was just sunning itself and sent right over it.

Felt bad about that, poor bastard 

• Sad 2

I was bitten by one in about 1970.  Was miles from anywhere looking after my boss' cottage.  A five mile walk to the nearest 'shop', a newsagent with a few basic odds and ends at the beach.

My leg swelled up and was painful but not much to be done.  All OK 24 hours later.  A mosquito bite a couple of years later was far worse.

4 hours ago, SunnySouth said:

Continuing the ‘all postal/delivery services R shite’ theme from slightly earlier in these pages, an Ebay seller has sent my item sans adequate postage, resulting in a card through the door from His Majesty’s finest to tease me into settling the debt. No problem, shit happens. It’s only a couple of quid, no qualm with the Ebayer who seemed decent enough. RM, however, are unhelpful bar stewards. WTF are these opening times?!

IMG_0064.jpeg.d076564b6e63dce492241b6da5d0422e.jpeg

So you can collect your item, but only during the exact hours that the entire population are busy rushing about doing the morning school run, sitting in traffic and trying to get to work. Unless it’s thursday, when the opportunity is also generously offered to collect it while everyone’s doing exactly the same thing in the evening.

Who the f’ck is collecting parcels between 8 and 10 in the bastard morning?! The answer of course is no fucker, which no doubt will provide ample excuse to close it altogether most of the week, and only open the desk between 2 and 4am on the fifth sunday of every second month…

If ever an organisation was showing all the distress signals of being on the verge of collapse, it’s RM. They give the NHS a run for its money, only without the safety net of being saintly and untouchable. RM is f’cked!

As a postman, and quite local to you too I think, I think it is disgraceful. It wasn't that long ago we started opening the callers office on Sundays and late night Thursdays on top of the usual hours. Every office had its own opening times but as a big city office we had the longest hours. 

Then we had an edict from above enforcing these hours on every office in the country regardless of how busy they are. It's not our decision. I quite often see people peering through the closed callers office doors and then they see me in uniform and ask what's going on and I can't defend such a ridiculous decision, so I don't. 

Part of it is down to another new way of working where we now have to try all packets twice. If your not in one day, I have to take it out with me the next day too, which is great, just what I need. I mean, if you're at work on Monday you're probably going to be at work on Tuesday aren't you. But occasionally it works so that makes the callers office slightly less busy so the upper management think it's justifiable. There was a plan to close the callers offices completely and I think they'd love to this if they could. 

They are also leaning on us to try and leave packets without actually telling us in those exact words so I do always try to find somewhere to hide them if I can, but it is left to the postman's individual discretion and some posties are idiots. Probably no worse than anywhere else really but we have about 140 people at our office and if you take any group of 140 people a fair few of them are going to be idiots. 

It's not going to get any better either. 

It is 4:36am.

I woke up with a jump half an hour ago because in my dream apparently I was jump starting an office chair with a jump pack (?) and evidently it went wrong or something. Can't get back to sleep.

Fuck it, I'll have a coffee and just get on with work. Honestly the annoying thing is mostly that I'll have to wait longer for my amazon delivery than I would have if I woke up at 8:30 like I planned.

9 hours ago, Yoss said:

As a postman, and quite local to you too I think, I think it is disgraceful. It wasn't that long ago we started opening the callers office on Sundays and late night Thursdays on top of the usual hours. Every office had its own opening times but as a big city office we had the longest hours. 

Then we had an edict from above enforcing these hours on every office in the country regardless of how busy they are. It's not our decision. I quite often see people peering through the closed callers office doors and then they see me in uniform and ask what's going on and I can't defend such a ridiculous decision, so I don't. 

Part of it is down to another new way of working where we now have to try all packets twice. If your not in one day, I have to take it out with me the next day too, which is great, just what I need. I mean, if you're at work on Monday you're probably going to be at work on Tuesday aren't you. But occasionally it works so that makes the callers office slightly less busy so the upper management think it's justifiable. There was a plan to close the callers offices completely and I think they'd love to this if they could. 

They are also leaning on us to try and leave packets without actually telling us in those exact words so I do always try to find somewhere to hide them if I can, but it is left to the postman's individual discretion and some posties are idiots. Probably no worse than anywhere else really but we have about 140 people at our office and if you take any group of 140 people a fair few of them are going to be idiots. 

If the average intelligence is what I have that makes half of the people more stupid than me. 

On 14/10/2024 at 20:03, Yoss said:

Just to add balance, I did indeed venture out during the morning rush hour to collect said item, and the fella on the desk was very decent indeed, nice guy. As always, good people being led by crap management. Grrr.

After months of shouting at my PC and being denied access both at home, and at my previous employer, I've got on.

But, whilst I have a few bits to update, I'm sorry to say a long time member (more recently lurker) and my oldest mate @Autoplas passed away last Monday, after battling cancer. He was given 3 months about 4 years ago, and he fought, but it got him in the end.  He was 54, and we'd been mates since we were at school at 11. 

Still can't believe it. RIP Sean.

9 minutes ago, outlaw118 said:

After months of shouting at my PC and being denied access both at home, and at my previous employer, I've got on.

But, whilst I have a few bits to update, I'm sorry to say a long time member (more recently lurker) and my oldest mate @Autoplas passed away last Monday, after battling cancer. He was given 3 months about 4 years ago, and he fought, but it got him in the end.  He was 54, and we'd been mates since we were at school at 11. 

So sorry to hear this, condolences to you and his family.

1 hour ago, outlaw118 said:

That's no age, tragic. Autoplas...aftermarket plastic car parts, wipers, rear screen louvres etc - any connection?

That's shit. Even more so when it's a contemporary of a similar age, I've lost a few mates recently who were all within a few years of me. :(