The grumpy thread

outlaw118

Covid had culled my yearly trip to Tesco for my "get on the way" trip.

Aimlessly wonder around with a trolly blocking the asiles ,best years was when i could take my son in a wheel chair and he could enjoy winding up the fussy ones who got on the way any other time of the year ... And the footplates were deadly !

Perhaps next year ..

49 minutes ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

I'm very tired of the problems I've had with the Audi to have the carburetor replaced on it. Feels like every time I try to do something about it it kicks me in the balls and takes my money without anything positive happening.

Cars are ungrateful bastards like that. All vehicles in fact. The only vehicle I've ever had that didn't cause problems was a fixed gear bicycle and they're fairly impractical if you don't have legs of steel.

I can't remember if it's your daily or not, but if it's not don't be afraid to step away from it for a while. That's what I've done with my 205, I haven't even looked at it for a month or two, it'll probably be after my birthday in January before I look at it again. Taking a step back can give you a clearer view of the problem when you come back to it.

26 minutes ago, reb said:

Cars are ungrateful bastards like that. All vehicles in fact. The only vehicle I've ever had that didn't cause problems was a fixed gear bicycle and they're fairly impractical if you don't have legs of steel.

I can't remember if it's your daily or not, but if it's not don't be afraid to step away from it for a while. That's what I've done with my 205, I haven't even looked at it for a month or two, it'll probably be after my birthday in January before I look at it again. Taking a step back can give you a clearer view of the problem when you come back to it.

Luckily it is not my daily have a modern Hyundai for this. And yes they can be but I have so far been lucky with most of the cars I have owned. The last car of the same age I owned was a 240 I owned it for almost 3 years with almost no problems. But is a good idea as you say with taking a break I have already taken a month break from this and possibly I will take another.

9 minutes ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

Luckily it is not my daily have a modern Hyundai for this. And yes they can be but I have so far been lucky with most of the cars I have owned. The last car of the same age I owned was a 240 I owned it for almost 3 years with almost no problems. But is a good idea as you say with taking a break I have already taken a month break from this and possibly I will take another.

Volvos don't count, I've had less problems with moon mileage 850s than I have with the rest of my cars. The first one I had was low mileage and had endless problems though.

Supermarket waste 

Went into Sainsbury's , big pile of cabbage reduced to 10p because it had 21st on the plastic bag and the leaves were yellowing 

20211222_180443.thumb.jpg.ecc10231aefb4f207d3f0eaae6b473a4.jpg

I worked on markets for 15 years , you'd see the veg traders with a knife cutting the outer leaves off and this is what was underneath , clean and fresh , not in the bin because of a date stamped on a plastic bag 

20211222_180454.thumb.jpg.919d29cfed90d2e5a45f656874a7653b.jpg

1 hour ago, Wack said:

Supermarket waste 

Went into Sainsbury's , big pile of cabbage reduced to 10p because it had 21st on the plastic bag and the leaves were yellowing 

I worked on markets for 15 years , you'd see the veg traders with a knife cutting the outer leaves off and this is what was underneath , clean and fresh , not in the bin because of a date stamped on a plastic bag 

same at Tesco , they left a box of raw carrots out for Santa's Reindeer , so I picked one up and eat it much to some nosey Parker's withering looks , then in the q to get out of the car park I eat my main course of pork pies , which to the person stuck behind , demonstrated I really did not give one  , even if they were in a rush !!

Not grumpy more fucking heartbreaking and heartwarming really, I'm a member of a local facebook page which is basically people giving away stuff, last week or two it's been full of people sorting through their kids toys and clothes for a clear out which is nice but the sheer amount of people who are struggling and are clamouring for bits to give to their own kids is bloody awful.  

Seems there is also a trend for people buying extra shopping to make up a Christmas dinner kit for a hard up family and offering that up, it really shouldn't be needed in this day and age but sadly it is :(  I fucking love my city 

Not sure what is up with me lately but this kind of stuff brings out the tears easily 

Have a friend middle aged woman (teaching assistant) lives in a one bed flat, drives a 96 Micra, salt of the earth. Does some cleaning on fiddle.

Not to have a big screen TV , latest iPhone etc but to make ends meet makes me fucking sick,remind me what year is it in a couple of weeks??? Oh yes 1922!

What was she doing at one point during pandemic ??? Delivering food parcels to the "less fortunate" in her car!

She's spending most of Christmas at her mum's as she can't afford heating on in her flat!

Regularly lie to her re cost of work done on her car she's no idea on price etc.

She'd kill me if she knew real cost. Even though it's not much anyway.

But it's worth it to keep this unsung angel mobile.

Merry fucking Christmas Boris enjoy the party!

1 hour ago, sheffcortinacentre said:

Have a friend middle aged woman (teaching assistant) lives in a one bed flat, drives a 96 Micra, salt of the earth. Does some cleaning on fiddle.

Not to have a big screen TV , latest iPhone etc but to make ends meet makes me fucking sick,remind me what year is it in a couple of weeks??? Oh yes 1922!

What was she doing at one point during pandemic ??? Delivering food parcels to the "less fortunate" in her car!

She's spending most of Christmas at her mum's as she can't afford heating on in her flat!

Regularly lie to her re cost of work done on her car she's no idea on price etc.

She'd kill me if she knew real cost. Even though it's not much anyway.

But it's worth it to keep this unsung angel mobile.

Merry fucking Christmas Boris enjoy the party!

Lovely stuff mate 

5 hours ago, Wack said:

Supermarket waste 

Join a site called Olio , it is mainly about food waste , end of day ,stuff gets disposed of for free , from mainly Big Tesco's and Tesco express , round here anyway. Someone collects it and posts it on a website , members request and collect ... some in need ,some just saving food waste . Surprisingly horrendous how much food gets wasted every day by even a small Tesco Express . Good for needy people and for those trying to be green and eco-friendly . But mainly good for Tesco because they don't have to pay for rubbish removal as often !!! My partner did the collection from a local shop and had 5 huge bags full of sandwiches, cakes, bread and then asked if there was any fruit and veg ...... 3 whole crates of bananas , still fresh ,never been on show, not bruised ....36 kg of bananas !!!! Pretty much everything was re-distributed by the following day !!! Nationwide site , adjust your settings and have a look . I think Tesco staff ,then food banks get first pick but often plenty of choices

I inadvertently shaved a third of my moustache off, because I was in a rush and didn't notice the plastic length attachment thing had fallen off the clippers.

Evening up the other side to match resulted in a stunning likeness to one of European history's more notable political leaders of the first half of the twentieth century.

So I've had to take the lot off.

There are no pictures, before you ask.

2 hours ago, Datsuncog said:

I inadvertently shaved a third of my moustache off, because I was in a rush and didn't notice the plastic length attachment thing had fallen off the clippers.

Evening up the other side to match resulted in a stunning likeness to one of European history's more notable political leaders of the first half of the twentieth century.

So I've had to take the lot off.

There are no pictures, before you ask.

I did something similar , had to trim a beard into a goatee after the guide fell off and I ended up with a stripe