Soundwave's selection of scabby stuffs - MOT time

Soundwave

Sticking with the Saab... both the sunvisors have developed a bit of a problem. They've gone floppy, and there are no little blue pills which can help. Various Saab boffins were consulted and the consensus was that it's a known and incurable issue with 9000 visors once they reach a certain age. Only solution is replacement, and since the driver's side is the worst affected, I sourced one of those first. Apparently no point buying secondhand as they will also fail relatively quickly, so £fuckinghell later, a new NOS driver's side visor has landed...

20230615_140453.thumb.jpg.2f261d38f221e1b384b9e85ea8c0f7c4.jpg

43 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

Possibly cardboard stiffeners, that have wilted? 

Apparently the sunvisor itself is made of foam, which decays over time. Eventually the foam around the mechanism decays and the main visor body can move independently.

Excellent work on the Saab! Somehow I've missed these updates but the rear facia panel is a big improvement. 

Dare you start further cosmetic alterations? I remember looking for a front wing but couldn't find a pre face-lift one for less than £200 I think. 

• Soundwave changed the title to Soundwave's selection of scabby stuffs - exhausting work

Decided to finally tackle the Saab's dodgy exhaust this week. What appeared to be a simple procedure turned into a complete pain in the ringpiece...

Though the exhaust system is in four sections, and all four had been repaired at some point, the front two were still holding up OK. So, I decided to just focus on the absolutely rotten rear two sections, which actually make up the bulk of the system's length anyway. Purchased the required parts, lead time was bloody ages because nobody makes them any more, but finally got hold of them.

Removing the old exhaust was very easy, since I'd opted for the "destructive component removal" method. Whereby I just took the grinder and sliced everything off. The bolts were too rusty to remove with a spanner anyway, and I frankly couldn't be arsed wrestling the hangers out of the rubbers. So off they all came, and out dropped the exhaust.

Awful, isn't it?

20230709_140945_compress18.thumb.jpg.c164ea05c5cd65277d8c1178572c0f6a.jpg

Then came the palaver. Like an idiot, I just assumed everything would fit in as it came out, so I started with the mid section, got it hooked onto the rubbers and then connected the front end pipe. Turns out this is NOT the way to do it, mounting it onto the rubbers before the front pipe will hold the mid section flat. But it turns out the mid section actually needs to be canted to the left slightly, or the end that goes onto the backbox will be in the wrong place. I discovered this after nipping up the mid section and finding out the fucking backbox wouldn't line up. At all. I must admit, got a touch of the red mist at this point and forced the damn thing to go on, whether it wanted to or not. The end result was an exhaust that blew at both joints despite copious quantities of fitting paste, and exited under the rear bumper instead of the exhaust cutout. Decided to back away, sleep on it, and try again in the morning.

Disassembled the entire thing again the next day, which was a lot tricker this time as I had to grapple with the hangers and rubbers - I couldn't just use the grinder this time, plus I had to Dremel* away all the fitting paste from the mating surfaces. After doing this, I started from the backbox and worked forwards instead. Using jacks and stands, I got the backbox roughly where I wanted it... then attached the mid section to the backbox... and then put the backbox on the hangers.

20230709_132335_compress84.thumb.jpg.12343bf1aded8355116af2230d6f35e8.jpg

Having the backbox attached and where I wanted it meant the mid section was now being held at the correct angle, so I moved the jacks and stands under the mid section and apply the same policy - get it lined up, attach to the front pipe, and then worry about grappling with the hangers and rubbers. The rubbers were more of a pain to get on using this method, but it was worth it. All in, all lined up.... the only blow being from a slight pinhole I'd made in the mid section silencer from being a bit heavy handed with the jack. A glob of paste soon put that right, and now I have an exhaust which doesn't blow and fits correctly! Huzzah!

20230709_141001_compress65.thumb.jpg.731c06d99923951b7f67b2797b6ce910.jpg

Sounds so much better, and is so quiet at 50mph now, all I can hear is the dashboard rattles!

Between my various struggles with the exhaust, I was browsing eBay for 9000 parts. In particular I was looking for a passenger side wing, but hadn't had much luck. Wings for this year of 9000 are hard to find, and are usually very expensive when they do come up. There's one currently up for sale which, with postage, is well over £200, and would need painting as it's a totally different colour.

Why was I looking for a wing? Well, a few years back the car apparently had a slight* issue with a front balljoint, which led to the car trying to run over its own front wheel. This caused damage to the lower part of the arch, as seen here:

20230709_141019_compress85.thumb.jpg.4369162d1082959b3ca1a2e265659bdd.jpg

I'd initially asked a metalworking acquaintance if they'd be able to make a new lower section for this wing, so I could cut out and replace the damaged sections rather than the whole wing. Further investigation revealed this wouldn't be practical; even the seemingly undamaged parts of the wing were bent, as can be seen from the swage line and the tapering panel gap...

20230709_141016_compress52.thumb.jpg.01ac9fcbddb65db3c10d364222886d77.jpg

(That's the wing up top, and the door down below. No, I don't know why the forum upload has flipped the image sideways.) In addition to all this, it was rusting heavily around the front.

20230709_141022_compress64.thumb.jpg.7b84641fbc5bd3fc82ab2ffaf4d35e33.jpg

Imagine my surprise when I found this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/195855049182

Cheap? Reasonably local? A similar colour? Not a bent and rotten piece of scrap? Sold to the short beardy bloke! So went over to Derby yesterday to collect...

20230709_140652_compress61.thumb.jpg.f6b428e083b0a8251d69898d8807bff7.jpg

An extremely close colour match, I think it's meant to be the same colour! Exactly how close will really only be clear once it's on the car. It does have some scratches from storage...

20230709_140515_compress84.thumb.jpg.04dae26fa906a66800edb9a276cc17fd.jpg

20230709_140511_compress25.thumb.jpg.cf529225e78de30eac76a986b5d15588.jpg

... but I'll take scratches over bent and rusty any day of the week! Absolutely made up than I managed to find a decent wing for a comparatively decent price. Next job will be getting this on, but that's a story for another day, when I can be arsed. At the moment I'm just going to bask in my victory with the exhaust...

Good work man.

Fitting/working on exhausts is always fun* especially * for those of us blessed without a lift. Had a whale of a time trying to fit some pipe work to our old Leon fought for ages with same red mist kicking in before I realised that the sub frame needed to be dropped as my axle stands were a good too many feet too close to earth. 

Then there was the trauma of patching up an xj6 on the drive and refitting the snakework straight. Drama. 

Think this is why i'm yet to tackle the Berlingo blows and pops. Might just live with it till it falls off/fails test.

Nice score on the wing.

19 minutes ago, grogee said:

Superb! Like an old pensioner nobody likes, this Saab simply refuses to die. That's a good few more years of motoring you've salvaged there, excellent work. 

Do you drive this much? I remember it being pleasant to drive, not fast but comfortable. 

I do drive it, but perhaps not as much as I should. Fleet is currently 5, with a minimum of 3 on the road at any time, plus I work from home. So all my cars are somewhat under-utilised at the moment! It's an excellent cruiser once it gets up to speed, and actually masks its size very well through the twisties. Doesn't feel unwieldy or barge-like. I do find it glacially slow getting up to speed though! I like it, think I'll be hanging onto this one for a bit.

Well done on your patience.  Saab exhausts are always an absolute pig to work on.  For all the system on the 900s isn't complicated it always ended up causing me way, way more swearing than it should have every time I had to touch one.

Seem to recall the 9000s being a bit prone to rotting out the rear of the system.

59 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Well done on your patience.  Saab exhausts are always an absolute pig to work on.  For all the system on the 900s isn't complicated it always ended up causing me way, way more swearing than it should have every time I had to touch one.

Seem to recall the 9000s being a bit prone to rotting out the rear of the system.

It looked so ridiculously simple... shallow flanges on the ends of the pipes, with a larger adjustable flange on the outside to hold it all together. Fit pipes together, bolt outside flange. Bobby dazzler, job done.

What caught me out was the very specific angles everything needed to go in at, with nothing on the car to assist in finding and maintaining those angles while you assemble it...

• Soundwave changed the title to Soundwave's selection of scabby stuffs - winging it

So, prior to FOTU next weekend, decided I should probably get the Saab's scabbier front wing changed over, having already purchased the part.

Jacked up and wheel off, so I can get at the arch trim/arch liner bolts... bodyside trim is already removed, as I've swapped it onto the replacement wing (it came with a slightly later trim which doesn't match - luckily the mountings are the same).

20230723_111927_compress21.thumb.jpg.48527b1b80eff7d78043a2da93677689.jpg

All of which came out easily enough, bar the one in the rearmost corner of the arch. Mind you, that corner is the mangled corner, so that's hardly a surprise. We'll see just how mangled in a few moments. Prised the outer trim away to release the liner, and... yeah, the arch has seen better days! Also the photo uploader seems intent on flipping everything sideways for some reason.

20230723_114622_compress17.thumb.jpg.c6f6a6cf02f821c7efea9aa149786e89.jpg

I removed the structural gaffer tape at the bottom of the wing, and found...

20230723_114641_compress26.thumb.jpg.8252694c938164b305d4dca7868a5cab.jpg

Also some soggy paper fell out from behind the arch liner... fortunately this all seems to relate to the wing and none of the car's inner structure.

20230723_114558_compress78.thumb.jpg.59dc7b3a025fa915d1f625b47bddd4af.jpg

Wing off... actually came off with a lot less resistance than I was expecting.

20230723_121311_compress29.thumb.jpg.428aed7f9bfacbbc7ef0cfe5d1dcb79c.jpg

And finally, I've very roughly offered up the new wing. Sure, it's scratched, but it's solid unlike the old one. Colour match seems nigh-on perfect too!

20230723_122932_compress8.thumb.jpg.c72006eb484f20597c3b17558c035fea.jpg

I can't fully reattach the wing yet, as some of the fixings didn't survive the removal process. With some of them now NLA, I'll have to get creative with the remains of the old ones!

And all bolted up, which actually managed to be a bigger ordeal than taking it off. Still not 100% happy with some of the gaps, it'll need fettling down the line. But the main thing is that it's back together and drivable for FOTU. And not rotten like the old wing. 

20230727_122256.jpg

1 hour ago, Soundwave said:

And all bolted up, which actually managed to be a bigger ordeal than taking it off. Still not 100% happy with some of the gaps, it'll need fettling down the line. But the main thing is that it's back together and drivable for FOTU. And not rotten like the old wing. 

20230727_122256.jpg

Doubled the value there, great work. 

Can I have my gaffer tape back please?! That has held up far better than any of my more professional* body repairs. 

With FOTU in the bag, the Saab is having a rest. It's got a few bits it needs underneath, and its MOT is up soon. So it's SORN and stored, and I'm making a shopping list of bits. 

So since that's not going to be costing me anything for now, I decided to dig the Rover out of storage, and use it for the remainder of its MOT. Though it's clearly poorly, it still runs and drives absolutely fine. 

Amid the clutter, where it's languished for the last few months... 

20230801_195926.thumb.jpg.be7e4034f2b37b825d39c07beebc8aef.jpg

Needed a bit of electrical assistance from the MX-5 to get it going, but fired up and ran just fine after that. Hasn't lost any of its fluids, although the coolant is still a mess of course. Planning to use it for light duties and tip runs, here it is on a test drive to Sainsburys... 

20230802_195709.thumb.jpg.84723ffcdbd468b694fde44494420d26.jpg

Honestly, I do like driving this thing. Just a shame it needs too much to be economically viable. 

1 hour ago, grogee said:

Remind me/us what it needs? Is it OMGHGF? 

HGF (see the coolant below), plus it needs a clutch, and is overdue a cambelt. Even with all those done it's pretty scruffy body and interior wise - lacquer peel all over, disintegrating door cards, questionable central locking. I'm all for saving old cars, but sometimes it's just not worth it. There are still quite a few immaculate R8s, and this one will yield valuable parts to help keep them going. Can't save 'em all. So for now I'm just driving it until the MOT is up.

20230417_185013.thumb.jpg.f824b51276699c229dcd0f79676aa204.jpg

... all that being said though, I still remember how bad I felt about fragging that rotten Laguna. So I might end up being a soft-headed twat and actually doing something with it anyway. :D Whatever happens, I'm prioritising the Saab currently.

1 hour ago, Noel Tidybeard said:

may i suggest on saab rear panel a satin black finish ?

Actually, I've got a different solution for that currently on its way... I shall elaborate when it arrives.

• Soundwave changed the title to Soundwave's selection of scabby stuffs - precious plastic

So, the man from Parcel Farce bought something to my door today. The culmination of months of searching, and a moment of madness. 

The repairs I'd made to the Saab's rear decor panel were, even when they were initially carried out, 10-footers. And the intervening months have done nothing to improve them - the cracks have begun to reopen in places, and the whole thing doesn't fit properly due to warping. Ideally, it needs replacement. But as previous owners of the car will know, decor panels for CDs are ridiculously rare. And due to a slight revision in 1990, the decor panel for this one is a one-year-only part, for 88-89 CD models, making it rarer still.

Saab 9000 decor panels for any year and model are expensive, but when early CD ones come up they typically cost £400-500. And they sell fast.. almost everything I could find on the Internet was either already long sold, or for the wrong model year. I did find a correct panel for sale in America... but with taxes and shipping added to the already eye-watering price it would have cost more than I paid for the car. I'm not that desperate for the back end to look decent...

That was, until a couple of weeks ago. I stumbled upon another one for sale on the German website "Kleinanzeigen". Which, imaginatively enough, means "Classifieds". A few emails exchanged with the friendly English-speaking vendor, who runs a Saab parts business called Skanmobile Classics, and it was purchased and on its way to me. Today, this landed:

20230807_101746.jpg.fa293b9d449cf7eb584ae2158b036122.thumb.jpg.6ce796b73a94fa12e8d61091e1195f29.jpg

Yes, that's right, it's an original, unused one still in its original Saab packaging! Which, admittedly, has tape stuck all over it now so it'll probably go in the bin. Bit of a shame, but never mind. The real treasure lies within...

20230807_101716.thumb.jpg.e15d6e7e17581df970bca1a52a53efc5.jpg

Look at that... and it's the black plastic version instead of the reflective 'backflash' version, which I prefer and helps emphasis the base-model nature of my particular car. With the added bonus that the black version is made of a far tougher plastic than the brittle reflective one. Also notice the natty little chrome trim up top... I didn't know they came with those. A quick Google reveals that is indeed the case.

1990_Saab_9000_CD_rear.jpg

saab-9000-cd-back-side-2-261546.jpg

Also note the badge, which reads "16 valve" instead of "Turbo 16"... denoting this as a specific part for a non-turbo car like mine.
20230807_100041.thumb.jpg.413a2119e6d1c14b3aafdb2d8d2d7aa6.jpg

The right year, the right colour, the right badge... everything is right with it! I'm chuffed with it. As tempted as I am though, I'm not fitting it yet. I'm instead using it as motivation for getting the Saab looking good... if I'm going to blow the wrong end of £250 on a plank of plastic, I want to make a car worthy of wearing it.

Yeah, it was a lot to pay, even though it's less than they typically go for. But... can't take it with you, and all that.

21 minutes ago, grogee said:

This thing is crossing the line from 'survivor shite' into 'treasured classic'. Spending £££ on sun visors and the rear facia show an impressive commitment. 13th owner lucky...

Commitment, or stupidity? The line isn't always a clear one...

I'll admit, I'm probably going to completely ruin the "survivor" ethos of this car with what I've got planned for it. My excuse is that with the tinworm creeping in, it won't survive that many more years if action isn't taken. Plus, I genuinely like the car, it's unusual on multiple fronts (being an 80s Saab, and an 80s Saab that isn't turbocharged), and it gives me a nostalgic feeling for the late 80s/early 90s when I drive it. 

I'm very deliberately not keeping count of what I'm spending on it, because by the time I'm finished I dread to think what sort of actual, respectable classic I could have bought instead... :D

3 hours ago, Soundwave said:

Commitment, or stupidity? The line isn't always a clear one...

I'll admit, I'm probably going to completely ruin the "survivor" ethos of this car with what I've got planned for it. My excuse is that with the tinworm creeping in, it won't survive that many more years if action isn't taken. Plus, I genuinely like the car, it's unusual on multiple fronts (being an 80s Saab, and an 80s Saab that isn't turbocharged), and it gives me a nostalgic feeling for the late 80s/early 90s when I drive it. 

I'm very deliberately not keeping count of what I'm spending on it, because by the time I'm finished I dread to think what sort of actual, respectable classic I could have bought instead... :D

That's the cowards way. 'Buy nice' is the preserve of the monied among us. Case in point: my semi employer bought a Mk2 Golf GTI for somewhere around £15k. I'm fairly certain it hasn't been anywhere in six months. It's sitting in its plastic bubble alongside 2 911s, a 914, '67 Mustang, 8,000km 924 and a couple of others I've already forgotten. None of them get driven really. 

In his defence he races a 911 RSR and I spend quite a bit of time just changing fluids in it. 

I can't really talk, in his position I'd have filled a barn with shonky old Citroens and never get around to actually making them work. 

'Buy shite' and you embark on a very special journey where you bond through the art of searching for parts, buying parts, then fitting parts. 

That's proper dedication, personally I totally approve of taking what's generally a rough example of a rare but overwise unremarkable car and turning it into something great again. It wouldn't be around for much longer if owners like this wouldn't be around, especially in the UK.

Germany is generally a good source of parts and Kleinanzeigen the first place to look. Parts availability can look pretty dire for many cars, especially after brexit (as Alfa 166 ownership proves), not so in Germany where most of them sold.

• 2 weeks later...

Decided to take a break* from buying ridiculously expensive spare parts for the Saab, and enjoy the sunshine with the MX5. Took it for a ride out to a local meet earlier, was a pretty good turnout. I managed to park with a load of other sports* cars, most of which also had pop up lights!

368638617_10160937171189642_8926529056787640216_n.thumb.jpg.f00f43d003af49d1f71ec3dd010c6789.jpg

It's actually a really good meet, loads of different eras and classes, no judgement, no bollocks, just a bunch of petrolheads and their respective vehicles. Literally everything from a Model T to a new Lamborghini, via a host of kit cars, hot rods, drift machines, Americana, sports cars and yes, even some shite. I might throw up some more pics in here if anyone is interested?

368675738_10160937170629642_3543051757980473291_n.thumb.jpg.2501ef66d8cf4bfa7ede9b08db3633ca.jpg

* = I lied, I've actually got a pair of rear arch panels on order for the Saab.

6 minutes ago, Soundwave said:

Decided to take a break* from buying ridiculously expensive spare parts for the Saab, and enjoy the sunshine with the MX5. Took it for a ride out to a local meet earlier, was a pretty good turnout. I managed to park with a load of other sports* cars, most of which also had pop up lights!

368638617_10160937171189642_8926529056787640216_n.thumb.jpg.f00f43d003af49d1f71ec3dd010c6789.jpg

It's actually a really good meet, loads of different eras and classes, no judgement, no bollocks, just a bunch of petrolheads and their respective vehicles. Literally everything from a Model T to a new Lamborghini, via a host of kit cars, hot rods, drift machines, Americana, sports cars and yes, even some shite. I might throw up some more pics in here if anyone is interested?

368675738_10160937170629642_3543051757980473291_n.thumb.jpg.2501ef66d8cf4bfa7ede9b08db3633ca.jpg

* = I lied, I've actually got a pair of rear arch panels on order for the Saab.

That looks good.  Where is it and what's it called?

3 minutes ago, Erebus said:

That looks good.  Where is it and what's it called?

It's the Heart of England Retro and Classic car meet, takes place in Fillongley on the 1st and 3rd Thursday of the month during the summer. There's lots of regulars, but always something new to see each time the meet runs.

8 hours ago, Soundwave said:

It's the Heart of England Retro and Classic car meet, takes place in Fillongley on the 1st and 3rd Thursday of the month during the summer. There's lots of regulars, but always something new to see each time the meet runs.

Sounds very much like our local show - no judgement, just turn up and have a natter. Unfortunately it clashes I think as we're also the first Thurs of the month. 

20230810_180507 (1).jpg

• Soundwave changed the title to Soundwave's selection of scabby stuffs - local meet spots

Decided to lob a few pics of the more shite-centric stuff I was sharing a field with yesterday. Sure, there was plenty of fast, loud, and properly posh stuff too but I thought these were the most appropriate for here.

image.thumb.jpeg.2d201a3666ef179264a00b1f727588ad.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.99680e4075c3384309dccec18630108e.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.79df2dab8bdcf08a59c08f800c197d8f.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.efc542b7e3343b4205335d409688f04f.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.fd25c871fcef869e35ea726dbbcd04fd.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.9261adc5acd48b11af6d929780293899.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.1746fd9059ef78a76aa1bf062a124aee.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.0c0d1a4cb10ed58dbce1b5294716f0f9.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.c06a015191a946d7d39fc1be66a0ddd2.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.8a0d488fafe4529e45925edb5fdc6f5a.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.91c906829587a612230fb1fff8275235.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.3d268f67eddf6732c66c5d620c063ba4.jpeg