Ask a Shiter

warren t claim

Try South West Salvage in Tewkesbury - I bought my Cat C van from there and apart from the fact it's a bit beaten up it is brilliant and was buttons compared with a straight one

Having met this chap Mair than once.. disregard the above;)

• Like 1

Try South West Salvage in Tewkesbury - I bought my Cat C van from there and apart from the fact it's a bit beaten up it is brilliant and was buttons compared with a straight one

Thanks, It's a dropside pickup I'm after, one with dents would be great but straight ones for reasonable money are hard enough to find

When I say hard enough to find, this is what I'm talking about.

post-20755-0-27870500-1541697430_thumb.jpg

Reasonable mileage , £10k

Guy rings me, sounds good so he goes away to get a ballpark figure for a well used transit

while he's doing that I check the MOT history

Repair immediately (major defects):

• Offside Rear fog lamp lens defective such that emitted light is adversely affected showing white light (4.5.1 ( B) (ii))
  • Oil leaking excessively from engine (8.4.1 (a) (i))

So that's what 25k service intervals does , nobody lifts the bonnet for months because the wheels are still going round

I'm not even ringing him back

• Like 1

Been quoted £quite a lot by my one-garage town to fit a new pair of front springs to my Focus, so I've looked up the part number and I'm presented by 23 manufacturer options! Can someone give me a lowdown on a recommended brand close to OEM and also who to avoid out of this lot?

• RIDEX KAMOKA KYB MAPCO STARK LESJÖFORS CS Germany MONROE FAI AutoParts Magnum Technology SWAG NK RUVILLE METZGER KILEN BILSTEIN DIEDERICHS MEYLE FEBI BILSTEIN SUPLEX TRISCAN EIBACH JP GROUP SACHS SPIDAN OPTIMAL TRW

Edit: or anyone else that you can recommend!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-WAY-SIEMENS-INJECTOR-LEAK-OFF-CONNECTOR-FOR-5WS40677-/182006873020?redirect=mobile

How do these work?

Someone else popped them off my car, when they diagnosed a leaky injector seal.

I cannot figure out how they go back on, they push onto a spigot and somehow lock.

The answer has to be simple, but I'm buggered if I can figure it out, I have already broken one.

Anyone of you lads and lasses in the 'Shite masseve any good at photoshopping? Need some ideas on ye olde 403 before I commit myself to paint!

Is this the estate, is there a thread on it? Can someone photoshop a trompe l'oeil 403 cabriolet on the side so it looks like Columbo's car

Is this the estate, is there a thread on it? Can someone photoshop a trompe l'oeil 403 cabriolet on the side so it looks like Columbo's car

There is...............................ancient Peugeot in search will reveal all

• Like 1

I don't know where else to post this. I switched on my TV Freeview box adaptor at the wall socket this evening and it exploded - see attached photo of grinning electricals. It didn't blow a fuse in the fusebox and the socket is working normally. Anyone know what could have caused this?  

post-17977-0-71336400-1541791500_thumb.jpg

I don't know where else to post this. I switched on my TV Freeview box adaptor at the wall socket this evening and it exploded - see attached photo of grinning electricals. It didn't blow a fuse in the fusebox and the socket is working normally. Anyone know what could have caused this?

Adaptor 003.JPG

Shit, dangerous Chinese design with crap quality parts. I bet there isn't even a proper fuse in it either.

Looks like something in the bottom left corner - picture doesn't show enough detail to say exactly. Possibly a drive transistor for the high voltage side given the mess. They tend to fail short circuited, which then causes a catastrophic failure with the energies involved.

• Like 2

What do you recon the chances of me getting 4 grand for my Cortina are?

I don't use it and if I'm honest (don't tell anyone) I've had way more fun in my Z4 than I have had in this even though I love looking at it.

Prices are all over the place.

Plus:

MOT and Tax exempt but MOT'd until May next year.

2 door

converted to 2.0 pinto race car/transit van engine

5 speed box

mega scene tax fishnet recaro seats

new water pump and fuel pump

electronic ignition

Mostly solid.

New subframe bushes and all the other ones that are a bastard to replace

new -1 springs

Minus.

Paint is shite in places, grinder rust in bonnet and I make a complete dogs breakfast of painting the wing and door

Needs new shocks

has had quite a lot of welding.

Is a shit to start sometimes

Interior is a bit crap

Has the wrong 1.3 diff in it

I wonder if it's worth spending a few  hundred quid and getting the paint fixed properly?

True to form here's a completely out of date picture

13648384633_ecc76190f3_c.jpg

• Like 1

Saw a new RAC towing system today, as per pic, do we know if this sort of system can be used to transport or just for recovery, seems like a good solution for those without storage for a transporter trailer..a7931a8afdf1ba5f81e2d3e30172ae69.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Shit, dangerous Chinese design with crap quality parts. I bet there isn't even a proper fuse in it either.

Looks like something in the bottom left corner - picture doesn't show enough detail to say exactly. Possibly a drive transistor for the high voltage side given the mess. They tend to fail short circuited, which then causes a catastrophic failure with the energies involved.

I find with Chinese electricals, it often isn't the parts that fail first, it's the installation. Usually crappy soldering causing shorts/overheats and eventually something burning out.

It's effectively an unbraked 2 ton trailer now isn't it? From memory I think in that situation one pair of the rear wheels should be braked as well as the fronts.

No mudguards - construction and use offense

No lights another offense but easily sorted.

I doubt you could make it legal to use in anyway other than an emergency recovery

attachicon.gifAdaptor 003.JPG

Looks like the transformer has failed - possibly a winding has shorted. Capacitors look OK. It's scrap.

• Like 2