Save Lancia!

holbeck

I'm shocked they were given the time of day after the Phedra.

lancia-phedra-l-01.jpg

They've put out some of the most oddball shite since the 2000s that I can only appreciate on the merit of how godawful they all looked.

YOU CAN JUST HEAR THE WITCHES STANDING ROUND THE CAULDRON CACKLING CAN'T YOU; "BODY OF PRAIRIE AND NOSE OF VELSATIS....."

The Ypsilon also comprehensively outsold the entire ranges of both Alfa Romeo and DS across Europe over the last couple of years, which amuses me greatly.

With the way things are going for Fiat-Chrysler at the moment, I wouldn't be surprised if the rest of the business followed Lancia into oblivion by the end of the decade.

With the way things are going for Fiat-Chrysler at the moment, I wouldn't be surprised if the rest of the business followed Lancia into oblivion by the end of the decade.

Yep, FCA are not in great shape really, Marchione is always trying to arrange a merger but the only part of the business with any value is Jeep and Ram trucks.

A shame about Lancia but the writings been on the wall for ages.  Last great good Lancia?  Thema turbo?

Bit of a shame really. Lancia clearly still has some worth in it's home market but sales have been in a constant decline, and a new Ypsilon would have cost £££ and probably eaten into 500 sales. That's probably the reason behind the canning. The cheaper method of selling the brand as Chrysler's dependant on the market fell flat.

The Thesis was probably the beginning of the certain end. A 21st century Tagora.

Those Yipsies  were FIAT Punto's in drag.

I really liked them though, looked better on the road than in pictures, saw more of them in Italy than 500's.

I don't think FCA have a clue about branding, apparently their South American sales are dwindling, what you don't want a Uno anymore!!!

They’ll be back hopefully, probably as a luxury trim model for dealers to try and flog.

A more luxuriously appointed Alfa Guilia with suspension tuned more for comfort would have made a fine luxobarge, more so with a Lancia badge on it (Aurelia?) The 124 could have made a nice basis for a new Fulvia.

Knowing Fiat the name will reappear as a limited edition Tipo estate sadly

….

A shame about Lancia but the writings been on the wall for ages.  Last great good Lancia?  Thema turbo?

I'd agree. 

Lancia died years ago to me, the recent rebadged whatever were horrendous.

I loved my Thema, and would definitely have another, pref station wagon.

I've also had a later Delta HPE turbo (same motor) but the Delta wasn't great.

The price of Delta Integrales, even the 8v seems to have doubled in price in the last year, I'd expect the price to keep going up.

I need to try and get a Fulvia before the prices go silly, they've been increasing over the last year or so, but they've not  quite got there yet.

Obviously I have a Beta and they are still thought of as the undesirable Lancia, between the rally winning Delta and Fulvia/Flavia era cars.

Shite scholars are likely to notice how history repeats itself...

1. Car maker A, renowned for its unconventional engineering, gets into financial trouble due to high development costs and poor sales.

2. Car maker A is bought by car maker B, the latter renowned for its conventional but reliable and profitable products.

3. Car maker B tries to make car maker A profitable again.

4a. Car maker B gives up, shuts car maker A down, and uses their factories to produce their own models [see : Panhard, Rootes Group].

4b. Car maker B forces car maker A to make their products increasingly conventional, which eventually results in car maker A making re-badged versions of car maker B's cars, sold at a premium price. Nobody wants to buy them. Car maker B pulls the plug. [see : SAAB and now Lancia].

4c. Car maker B forces car maker A to make their products increasingly conventional, which eventually results in car maker A making re-badged versions of car maker B's cars, sold at a discounted price. [see : Citroen].

RIP Lancia

1972-lancia-fulvia-1-3s-zagato-front-2.j

I've had a quick look at that Save Lancia facebook page and I can't understand a word but thought it was conspicuous that none of the photos show a Prisma with rusty rear arches, which is how I'd like to remember the marque.

you knew time was up as they were fucking awful cars

Did you own or drive a Delta III in order to state that comment though?

Well I did. Quite liked it, rear viewing ability aside. Still looking to buy one into next year.  

I have a soft passion for anything Lan-cha since a boy.  Two Betas Berlinas and a Trevi didn't spoil that.

I will always remember Lancia for the fleet (3) of new W reg Betas lined up in the taxi rank in town.

My mates dad was something to do with the taxi firm. I think the Betas pretty much bankrupted them.

Also there was my mates step dad who was a trader and briefly had a HPE. He took us for a spin in it. WOW!

My dad had a maxi and drive sedately. That HPE was without a doubt the fastest thing is ever been in during my 14 years.

Come on, they died back in the 1980s really, like all cars built in Italy ever, build quality has only been approximate & half arsed, and when they started nailing Chrysler stick on chrome on cars for markets that no longer sold Lancias, you pretty much knew it was game over for the brand, Fiat are in a right old muddle now, and are circling the drain, GM weren't happy with them over the fragility of the JTD engines, and it's cost them dearly over warranty claims.

Seeing the range with Chrysler badges on, well, they were no lookers before hand, they looked horrid & cheap afterwards, but prices were far from it. The boil should have been lanced when the Integrale died, same goes for Alfa Romeo, sales of that brand get worse every year, as people nowadays won't put up with the woeful quality. The Italian car industry may as well surrender, because Chrysler is a seriously poison chalice, Fiat have had to turn to Japan to make their Spyder, mainly for financial reasons, as they didn't have the cash to develop a new platform for the volume, and look what happened when the Germans got in to bed with Chrysler. 

Bye Bye Fiat/Chrysler, you will not be missed

Come on, they died back in the 1980s really, like all cars built in Italy ever, build quality has only been approximate & half arsed, and when they started nailing Chrysler stick on chrome on cars for markets that no longer sold Lancias, you pretty much knew it was game over for the brand, Fiat are in a right old muddle now, and are circling the drain, GM weren't happy with them over the fragility of the JTD engines, and it's cost them dearly over warranty claims.

Seeing the range with Chrysler badges on, well, they were no lookers before hand, they looked horrid & cheap afterwards, but prices were far from it. The boil should have been lanced when the Integrale died, same goes for Alfa Romeo, sales of that brand get worse every year, as people nowadays won't put up with the woeful quality. The Italian car industry may as well surrender, because Chrysler is a seriously poison chalice, Fiat have had to turn to Japan to make their Spyder, mainly for financial reasons, as they didn't have the cash to develop a new platform for the volume, and look what happened when the Germans got in to bed with Chrysler. 

The new Giulia is meant to be a fantastic car, on par with the germans and Jags!

Respectfully, I disagree with all of that.  GM are just as bad as Chrysler, had to be bailed out and survive by selling 3 tonne trucks to take children to school in America. 

I would much rather have something Italian with a bit of style and some innovative engineering than something dull that's perceived as quality because the doors shut with a solid clunk.

The new Giulia is meant to be a fantastic car, on par with the germans and Jags!

The big boss chief at work has a Giulia.  Had another Alfa before that.

She got out of her car, saw my look of approval and just said: 

'Eight-speed automatic.  Very smooth.'  With a big grin on her face.

That's when I knew I was working in a good place.  Rather than buy an anonymous Audi, BMW or Merc, she'd plumped for the 'enthusiasts choice.'  In red, of course.  Lovely thing.