What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

my incontinent and fuddled elderly neighbour got his daughter to shout at me over the garden fence this t-time, while i was burning garden waste (sensibly placed in holed-dustbin with a stove pipe lid and watched over at all times)

" your fire has tainted my washing (she lives at least 8 houses away) and my husband is disabled (so fckin what?) so im reporting you to the environment agency, as you are not supposed to start fires until dusk"

I ignored her.

"Oi i'm talking to you" she screached

still being ignored, "Oi Oi" walks away mumbling.

a quick look on google brings me to here: http://www.environmental-protection.org ... -bonfires/

where it clearly states

It is a common misconception that there are specific byelaws prohibiting garden bonfires or specifying times they can be lit –there aren't.

Print the above off and post it through their letterbox..............I'm sure they can find someone to read it to them

my incontinent and fuddled elderly neighbour got his daughter to shout at me over the garden fence this t-time, while i was burning garden waste (sensibly placed in holed-dustbin with a stove pipe lid and watched over at all times)

" your fire has tainted my washing (she lives at least 8 houses away) and my husband is disabled (so fckin what?) so im reporting you to the environment agency, as you are not supposed to start fires until dusk"

I ignored her.

"Oi i'm talking to you" she screached

still being ignored, "Oi Oi" walks away mumbling.

a quick look on google brings me to here: http://www.environmental-protection.org ... -bonfires/

where it clearly states

It is a common misconception that there are specific byelaws prohibiting garden bonfires or specifying times they can be lit –there aren't.

Print the above off and post it through their letterbox..............I'm sure they can find someone to read it to them

i have printed it and have it with me ready for the knock on the door during the 'investigation', but as there is now a huge fire belching black smoke about 10 houses from her's and blowing in her direction, i don't think i will be bothered by officialdom today. shame really, i'm all ready to stand up for my rights. :(

Someone mentioned online that apple are recalling the 1st generation iPod nanos, cos they set on fire or something. Dug mine out of the man drawer, sent it off to apple and 6 weeks later I get a brand new 8gb touchscreen ipod nano as replacement.

It's no use to me, so I boffed it on ebay for £64.50 (50P cheaper than the cheapest one on there) and it sold in 45 seconds. Nice touch, really.

Mine's just arrived! I also got the current model. Really good result that, send off five year old iPod expecting it to come back with a new battery, instead get a brand new one with eight times the capacity.

Finally got my broadband up and running, which means I can now have all 3 consoles online. Being a child of the early 90's, it still feels weird seeing Sega Megadrive games on a Nintendo system, but I can't afford to be buying any new games right now OMG THEY HAVE CHRONO TRIGGER AND FINAL FANTASY III WHERE IS MY CREDIT CARD!?

Someone mentioned online that apple are recalling the 1st generation iPod nanos, cos they set on fire or something. Dug mine out of the man drawer, sent it off to apple and 6 weeks later I get a brand new 8gb touchscreen ipod nano as replacement.

It's no use to me, so I boffed it on ebay for £64.50 (50P cheaper than the cheapest one on there) and it sold in 45 seconds. Nice touch, really.

Mine's just arrived! I also got the current model. Really good result that, send off five year old iPod expecting it to come back with a new battery, instead get a brand new one with eight times the capacity.

A similar grin - 4 years ago, almost to the day I bought a fancy logitech keyboard for about £49. I've used it probably 10 hours a day, 5/6 days a week since then. In the last couple of months, the volume down button has got a bit worn and sometimes sticks.

I emailed their customer services to ask if maybe they could sell me the spare parts to fix it. It's been a bloody good board and I've no reason to want to change it. I got a reply asking for proof of purchase which obviously I don't have but I managed to find the transaction on my online banking, so I sent them a screen shot.

They couldn't get me the parts, but I can have 50% off any new keyboard!

Shame I can't really justify spending even £25 on a half price keyboard just to sort this volume button out, but it's a pretty nice offer considering it's 4 years old and I volunteered the fact that it's done more miles than Phileas Fogg

Well done Anthony!

In other news, our wedding anniversary was on Tuesday. I phoned in the local radio station for a competition in the morning (I know, sad...) and got an Elvis song played for Mrs R; then in the evening we went for a meal (at the restaurant offering the prize) and the chef phoned in for another comp while we were there (we were the only customers) and got us another mention! :D

(Rather a lot of brackets in that; 3 sets in one sentence is probably excessive!)

Cyprus has "one-stop shops" for official admin-type services, and today we experienced the new one in Paphos. Walked in, said to nice lady behind desk "we want to transfer a car" and she produced a very pleasant young man who took us to a desk and went through the routine smoothly and efficiently. 8.54 euros later Tony had a new logbook for the X1/9. The shop offers all kinds of other services too: ID and medical cards, passports, property paperwork, etc. Mostly for Cypriots, in fairness, but also for expats. All conversation that involved us was in English too. We were in and out inside 15 minutes. Most impressed.

Built an Autoshite play area for my Nephew at my mums house. expensive fencing ... nah £13 bright orange plastic safety fence, cheap metal poles a danger to children... solved, with pipe lagging and cable ties. Expensive safety flooring ... nope mother natures cheapest bark chippings will provide all the protection needed. Now building a playhouse for them, cheap ply but better than those on ebay.

Kids love it, parents not so over the moon..

where it clearly states

It's still a bit inconsiderate to have a bonfire on a lovely warm day when folk have washing on the line and windows open.....to be fair, I would have had a moan too. Whats wrong with waiting until later in the evening when it will cause less friction with neighbours?

Despite moderation unpleasantness, several good things have come out of today.

1. Got commissioned at work. It was terrifying but somewhat educational. Every station (ironically bar one, located somewhere up North) approved my demos. So I'm back on a wage, of sorts, doing something related to my degree. A bit of a turn up, that.

2. Went to the EventCity Classic Car Show to find it massively improved from last year. Everything is arranged across two large halls rather than the sprawling poorly lit bollocks they had last time. The entry fee is still dear and the food expensive, but the tat stalls were kept to a minimum and there was some great cars there, as well as some absolute pearlers in the car park.....

DSC_0959.jpg

Gilbern GT, which was clearly loved and used on a regular basis.

DSC_0968.jpg

Truly rancid 505, which was belonged to an exhibitor.

DSC_0981.jpg

1976 called, it wants its Rover 2000 back.

I have some clearer shots of the Gilbern when I was on my 18-55. These were taken on my hipster 'being a dickhead's cool' HL-N lens, which was a £18 special off eBay.

where it clearly states

It's still a bit inconsiderate to have a bonfire on a lovely warm day when folk have washing on the line and windows open.....to be fair, I would have had a moan too. Whats wrong with waiting until later in the evening when it will cause less friction with neighbours?

I'm glad it wasn't just me who was thinking that, my neighbours has the habit of burning stuff in his garden on a sunny afternoon whilst the washing is out as well, it fucks me off no end.

I live in a corner house, so the smoke drifted onto open fields, and nowhere else

Picking up new shite, always makes me grin :)

lets see if it qualifies as shite...

worst british car ever made ? check

worst colour available ? check

worst version and trim ? check.

its fantastic.

1 previous owner, atwell wilson motor museum. 35k miles. 1 year test.

photo1fgu.jpg

photo4zd.jpg

I've got an FSO*!

Bit of a bidding war earlier on and, as always with eBay, I paid more than I originally wanted to. Still, excitement has hit me like a tidal wave and I expect to be taking ownership mid-week some time!

*Badge that is.

$(KGrHqF,!qUE88fkHRKJBPZh8LQSe!~~60_12.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... SA:GB:3160

Finally bought new camera... in true shite fashion I bought a run out model at knockdown price because everyone is rushing to buy it's replacement.

That is not my grin. Bought camera, walking back to the car, and I stumble over my first spot with the new camera.

7014617163_56d7ef2d1c_z.jpg

J518 HGD by cms206, on Flickr

Awesome. Never seen it before, but exactly as miserable as I remember them.