What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

Lovely refurbished SD1 rear light

That looks fab! I wonder if it would work on a discoloured headlight?

I made some front mats for the Yaris today using an Aldi hall runner and some electrical tape. Chuffed to bits with the results, and how easy it was to do.

6810032574_82fe36b89b_z.jpg

Project 365+1 (63) by routemaster2345, on Flickr

They look a bit rough round the edges, but should stop grit and muck and other shite getting to the carpets...

The wife is home! This is very grin-worthy. However, as this is a motoring forum, I shall focus on the Mini. It seemed to cope with the 600 mile trip without too much bother, no bad considering it's been used very little for over a year. It does occasionally misfire quite heavily though apparently. Time to check that points gap again - though I have an in-dizzy electronic ignition to try as well.

Lovely refurbished SD1 rear light

That looks fab! I wonder if it would work on a discoloured headlight?

+1 - One of the Ashtray's headlights was replaced just over a year ago, and the other one is so obviously yellow and clouded that it's mildly embarrassing. Although I imagine it'll be a royal PITA to get the actual lens off of a sealed unit anyway.

Outside my friends tyre garage the council have gone mental with double yellow lines. Even across the entrance to his garage, they've put double yellows in the loading bay outside (which has been a loading bay since 1889). It's insane, they want him to buy a parking pass for his vehicles and even then they're only allowed in allocated bays, for a certain amount of time. It's mental.

Mysteriously, someone has been taking the piss since.

426326_10150658595634644_804084643_8930100_956296400_n.jpg

I swear to God this is true: the local fuckwitt (or one of the local fuckwitts, to be more accurate) has just offered me a part-exchange for his spaz chariot against mine. Naturally I intend to take him up on his offer.

Outside my friends tyre garage the council have gone mental with double yellow lines. Even across the entrance to his garage, they've put double yellows in the loading bay outside (which has been a loading bay since 1889).]

This kind of thing absolutely boils my piss! Some cretin in the council justifying his job by solving a parking "problem" that doesn't exist, massively inconveniencing the people who actually need to park there.

In October I left a seething post on the 'Grump' thread about my cat going missing, presumed poisoned. At the time, I'd put up laminated posters all around the estate, and Mrs_Duke kept on at me to take the last remaining one, right at the entrance, down as it made her upset whenever she saw it.

This evening, after a random phonecall from a nursing home about 10 miles away, he was returned, which is easily the best thing that has happened to me since, well, sometime in 2010 I guess :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Turns out the girl saw that one last poster this morning; he's been living at the home for 6 weeks, and one of the staff was about to adopt him. I am unreasonably and quite pathetically overjoyed. I should really make a concerted effort to get a life. :D

Thanks for the warm fuzzy vibes, people :D Here's a suitably shite photo of the little brat, as of 10 minutes ago:

Sion.jpg

I would have changed the camera settings and taken a better one, but I've had too much vodka to really care.

Anyway, this is a grin thread so here are some grin worthy (to me anyway) stuff:

Rolled my way down to the quint town of Milton Keynes, it looks sort of like a big flat version of Telford, only a little more upmarket, some double roundabout with a huge curb between the 2 was quite a laugh to get around. The Rover behaved impeccably, a soft smooth run is what I expected and what I got. Tried to spot some shite down there but time was against us so had to leave it.

Yesterday I was quite bored having spent Sayurday at home doing absolutely nothing, so spent the day looking for a Rover 800 in Oldbury, didnt get to see the 800 but the amount of shite around that area was absolutely breath taking, I couldnt drive a couple of yrads without seeing rammle parked up outside various houses, its almost as if Oldbury still lives in 1993 (Probably does actually, not alot has changed)

$(KGrHqZHJBIE8e0!J9P5BPMU0QKIPg~~60_12.JPG

Snaffled this little beauty up off ebay last week. It's a collection of road tests, articles and adverts from said cars starting in 1975 with the Alpine launch, to '83 and a scathing What Car? write up on the Tagora SX where it was pitted against the new Volvo 760GLE and Granada GhiaX.....although only as a last minute afterthought when BL were unable to supply a Rover 3500SE.

What I found interesting and confusing was that those who had a Tagora on long-term test had almost universal praise for the car, whilst those doing a one-off comparison didn't. It was as if they were testing two completely different vehicles.

MOTOR magazine did 12,000 miles in a 2.2 GLS and gave it 5 out of 5 in EVERY category ( reliability/ on delivery/ servicing/ running costs) bar one, which was Living With The Tagora which scored 4/5. They marked it down on ventilation.

What Car? were just pre-occupied with its 'blandness of style' which I would dispute, rather than its practicality. Twats.

It seems there was a whole series of these books produced, I think they date from the mid-nineties, covering virtually every model of car available from the 70s and 80s. Well worth a punt if you see one!

I used to have a copy of that (bought in the mid-90s so you're right on the date), I remember thinking the Tagora V6 was a bit of a rocket and IIRC even What Car were surprised by the performance, 0-60 in 7-odd seconds or something?

I believe the fella producing (Trevor Alder - he had a custom-built Opel Senator estate BTW) them only did so for a couple of years; I think I bought my copy in 96 and he wrote to me soon after saying he was ceasing printing. Not sure whether there was a copyright issue? They seem to be mighty similar in content to the 'Brooklands Road Test' jobs by the ubiquitous RM Clarke (albeit covering much more autoshite) so perhaps there was some kind of legal contest.

I've got one of those books too - the one for the Fiat Panda. Agree that they are excellent :D

Also, last night on BBC4, Dirk Gently and his Princess made me grin 8)

Got the Scimitar running again today after work. After a while of fruitless pissing around in the dark, a spark plug borrowed from the Volvo revealed that the source of the issue was not fuelling or loss of compression as I'd thought, but lack of a spark. Further pissing around revealed that the live feed to the coil was shorting out against one of the distributor cap retaining clips - I must have pulled the wire when I was removing the air filter. A bit of electrical tape around the exposed connector and the old crate spluttered back into life. This was good, as it meant I could move it into a better position so I don't have to lift my pushbike over the top of it every morning on the way to work. It also means that the engine isn't completely fucked, as I (being my usual slightly paranoid self) was beginning to think it might be, so hopefully once I put everything back together minus the knackered thermostat and fill the thing back up with water it should be driveable again. That will have to wait until the weekend though.