What makes you grin? Antidote to grumpy thread

outlaw118

Hypothetical scenario:

You know when you buy a car from someone, you kind of hope that they’re, say, a retired RAF Wing Commander living in a big, posh house in the Cotswolds and has had every service done at a main dealer and has only ever used the car for, say, going to church on Sundays hence the tiny mileage and flawless condition, and, for example, insists on knocking money off the asking price which you were trying to pay, just because “you seem like a nice chap who’s really going to enjoy it”, and is only selling because he can’t get in it any more, so it sits under a dust sheet between weekly valetings, while his wife serves fresh coffee and cake and the birds sing and the sun shines, and, hypothetically, he encourages a lengthy test drive following a map he’s printed of the best local B roads, just for you, in the rare and beautiful car which you vowed to buy when it was launched almost 25 years ago and never thought you’d be able to afford, but, fuck it, you’re a long time dead and I’m sure it’s worth a load more than the asking price. Yes, please, another slice of cake, sorry I can’t stop looking at the car. That sort of hypothetical scenario?

Well. Exactly that happened to me, yesterday. And I’m still pinching myself.

My credit card company have refunded the flights to Canada I had booked. AirFrance/KLM had cancelled them and were refusing to refund despite it being against EU law. 

I built a case, sent it through and it was refunded within a week. 

If anyone is in the same situation I can send you the notes/case to use as a template. 

4 hours ago, Volksy said:

My credit card company have refunded the flights to Canada I had booked. AirFrance/KLM had cancelled them and were refusing to refund despite it being against EU law. 

I built a case, sent it through and it was refunded within a week. 

If anyone is in the same situation I can send you the notes/case to use as a template. 

Will beat this in mind, BA have cancelled my flights to Costa Rica in October. A friend booked for the four of us and she’s determined to get the monies back.

1 minute ago, Tayne said:

Will beat this in mind, BA have cancelled my flights to Costa Rica in October. A friend booked for the four of us and she’s determined to get the monies back.

FYI, B.A. will try and palm you off with a Voucher - valid for a year and refundable (only after the year has elapsed) if unused in that period.

This is against EU law, what airlines are trying to do, sneakily, is get a years interest free loan from its customers. 

You are entitled to a refund, in full within seven days of the airline cancelling the flight. Obvs they are 'understaffed' so this is taking longer than normal. But they are dragging it out as long as possible.

Remember if you accept the voucher, that it is only valid for the price you paid for your original flights. I can guarantee that international travel costs will go through the roof as airlines will be desperate to re-coup their losses. Also, if the airline goes belly up, the voucher is then worthless. 

3 hours ago, Volksy said:

FYI, B.A. will try and palm you off with a Voucher - valid for a year and refundable (only after the year has elapsed) if unused in that period.

This is against EU law, what airlines are trying to do, sneakily, is get a years interest free loan from its customers. 

You are entitled to a refund, in full within seven days of the airline cancelling the flight. Obvs they are 'understaffed' so this is taking longer than normal. But they are dragging it out as long as possible.

Remember if you accept the voucher, that it is only valid for the price you paid for your original flights. I can guarantee that international travel costs will go through the roof as airlines will be desperate to re-coup their losses. Also, if the airline goes belly up, the voucher is then worthless. 

Expedia have now agreed to refund but cannot hand back monies until BA have refunded them, apparently this can take 8-12 weeks.

Not sure whether or not i believe they've already paid BA or that BA isn't being really cheeky with the 8-12 week crap.

Just been out in the van for the first time since I started tearing apart and rebuilding the kitchen a few weeks ago.

One of my goals was to reduce the amount of squeaks and rattles back there.  I'm being realistic in my goals... it's still a camper van so there's a bunch of stuff in there that's going to rattle and there's only so much you can do.  However it previously sounded like a tumble drier full of spoons being dropped down a flight of concrete stairs while in motion.  I'd hoped my work would have at least helped (even though I've still some work in the rattle reduction department to do).

I was not expecting the apparent ~90% reduction in racket in the back.  That's as big a night and day difference as I've ever seen... suddenly a lot of the work seems more worthwhile!

...Even if it really has highlighted a few rattles in the cab now.

Hypothetical scenario:
You know when you buy a car from someone, you kind of hope that they’re, say, a retired RAF Wing Commander living in a big, posh house in the Cotswolds and has had every service done at a main dealer and has only ever used the car for, say, going to church on Sundays hence the tiny mileage and flawless condition, and, for example, insists on knocking money off the asking price which you were trying to pay, just because “you seem like a nice chap who’s really going to enjoy it”, and is only selling because he can’t get in it any more, so it sits under a dust sheet between weekly valetings, while his wife serves fresh coffee and cake and the birds sing and the sun shines, and, hypothetically, he encourages a lengthy test drive following a map he’s printed of the best local B roads, just for you, in the rare and beautiful car which you vowed to buy when it was launched almost 25 years ago and never thought you’d be able to afford, but, fuck it, you’re a long time dead and I’m sure it’s worth a load more than the asking price. Yes, please, another slice of cake, sorry I can’t stop looking at the car. That sort of hypothetical scenario?
And..........

Sent from my R19 using Tapatalk

18 hours ago, motorpunk said:

Hypothetical scenario:

I was going to say a Honda Accord, but realised that a retired RAF WingCo probably wouldn't buy any Japanese motor after what the Japs did in WW2.