The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Thinking the CLK's gearbox was goosed from yesterday's pothole nightmare (#grumpythread) I couldn't resist dropping the oil pan. Very happy to see no chunks of broken gearbox nor filings. Fluid was pretty rank (though I'd dropped pan for fluid change 40,000 miles ago without draining TC). Pan rusty so sanded it down + kurust and a lick of paint. New filter arriving tomorrow & fingers crossed new fluid does the job. Also checked for OBD codes on my basic reader and there was nothing transmission related - am I correct in thinking these cars generally throw up an engine light if something's amiss in the trans?

PXL_20240227_143847538.jpg

PXL_20240227_145203083.jpg

PXL_20240227_150012894.jpg

PXL_20240227_150158858.jpg

PXL_20240227_152516249.jpg

PXL_20240227_153110095.jpg

New project truck has arrived, will I be joining the tax dodging, self employed pickup driving crowd (who clearly don't need a pickup for you know IT work etc) .......

Nope its a bit smoll....

IMG_20240227_151746317.thumb.jpg.898b080e889679056d163d0a0b68bf05.jpg

I appear to have inherited a Tamiya monster truck, needs a new battery pack and a bit of fettling, Woot!

1 hour ago, Jazoli said:

Are you sure about that? Its 10 years for vehicles with more than 8 seats and only if they are on the front axle but there are no checks on private vehicles at all.

Screenshot_20240227_181001_Chrome.thumb.jpg.d4d7ee3936e1f9ad3bbdaff956dcf194.jpg

Screenshot_20240227_181215_Chrome.thumb.jpg.46b8845745211d77ac110db82a0f10a3.jpg

That's the HGV regs - is somebody mixing them up with normal stuff?

5 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

These Avons were 5 years old:

20240227_122017.thumb.jpg.a91df33bb7e86d4b8debb22b1d7edfa4.jpg

20240227_122001.thumb.jpg.54d72f474fc2e0c2e58d89443cf32f9c.jpg

20240227_122037.thumb.jpg.8820e0a07c74c2b1d499a9f7516dca1b.jpg

20240227_122042.thumb.jpg.7486e4515b71f3584197d89cf2bf685e.jpg

Falkens on tje front were fine but I wasnt happy with the amount of tread left. These need to steer and stop 1.7 tons+

20240227_122053.thumb.jpg.80c9019fe68cb20a7f756a567246f12a.jpg

New shoes all round now :)

GT Radials, A rated for wet grip

20240227_141611.thumb.jpg.e97bf337ec0dcb3f5b5629fa22c35089.jpg

I blame the 45 profile ;-) - just pulled four 205/45 off a Bini we picked up last week. All are 2020 manufactured (with three different DitchFinder brands!) and they are all either cut, scrubbed or cracking like your Avons. No idea what the previous owners have done (or not done) with them since 2020 -  they would (probably) get just an advisory for the MoT but I'm not at all happy with them.

Today's non-news from here - an Italian Job Part Deux tribute scene as the 2 x R56 waved bye-bye to the R50
image.thumb.png.4921e18d84aa4f98a8f993c6d2df1f3d.png

4 hours ago, barefoot said:

I don't think that any tyres are designed to last very long at all. The MOT stipulates 7 years max, and I've just replaced the set of four Hankooks that I put on my Rover 75 as soon as I bought it in July/August 2019. I suspect it's something to do with the fact that they are made of recyclable shit rather than the proper rubber and infinite-life hydrocarbons like they were in the good old days. 

Ten years for mot it says, which is news to me as the 2022 mot on the x1/9 certainly went through ok on 14 year old tyres.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-inspection-manual-for-private-passenger-and-light-commercial-vehicles/5-axles-wheels-tyres-and-suspension#section-5-2-3

4 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

Ten years for mot it says, which is news to me as the 2022 mot on the x1/9 certainly went through ok on 14 year old tyres.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-inspection-manual-for-private-passenger-and-light-commercial-vehicles/5-axles-wheels-tyres-and-suspension#section-5-2-3

It's 10 years on the steering axle for HGV/PSV plating.
It's also for 8 passengers plus on smaller stuff (I'm guessing Class 7 but don't quote me on that)

2 minutes ago, EyesWeldedShut said:

It's 10 years on the steering axle for HGV/PSV plating.
It's also for 8 passengers plus on smaller stuff (I'm guessing Class 7 but don't quote me on that)

I thought I hadn’t heard anything new on car tyres. 

2 hours ago, NigeT said:

Thinking the CLK's gearbox was goosed from yesterday's pothole nightmare (#grumpythread) I couldn't resist dropping the oil pan. Very happy to see no chunks of broken gearbox nor filings. Fluid was pretty rank (though I'd dropped pan for fluid change 40,000 miles ago without draining TC). Pan rusty so sanded it down + kurust and a lick of paint. New filter arriving tomorrow & fingers crossed new fluid does the job. Also checked for OBD codes on my basic reader and there was nothing transmission related - am I correct in thinking these cars generally throw up an engine light if something's amiss in the trans?

PXL_20240227_143847538.jpg

PXL_20240227_145203083.jpg

PXL_20240227_150012894.jpg

PXL_20240227_150158858.jpg

PXL_20240227_152516249.jpg

PXL_20240227_153110095.jpg

Not always with the EML but there's no mistaking limp home mode...

16 hours ago, cobblers said:

Talking to one of the lads at work, he's in his late 20s. Mentioned how I bought a 106 S1 Rallye for £900 about 15 years ago.

He was fairly gobsmacked. Loves em as much as I do.

Then a couple of hours later, this drove past my window:

image.png.ff6bd6e59c8d68a7b07a1df979db31e8.png

Piloted by what looked like a fairly elderly couple (although it was quite dark so I hope I haven't offended anyone)

I was in two minds whether to sprint after it and offer them £900 for their "Auld Peugeot" . Then I noticed the plate.... 03 is late for a rallye.

Comes up as 1100cc on the DVLA, so it's a replica!! How dare they!

Funnily enough, I parked next to it at Tesco in Chesterfield on Sunday.

20240225_104804.thumb.jpg.14ec7908637ab7ea98fb01e0ef1aba66.jpg

It did look quite convincing close up but I too was doubting whether they made them that late, hence the photo, I was going to look it up when I got home.

23 hours ago, barefoot said:

I don't think that any tyres are designed to last very long at all. The MOT stipulates 7 years max, and I've just replaced the set of four Hankooks that I put on my Rover 75 as soon as I bought it in July/August 2019. I suspect it's something to do with the fact that they are made of recyclable shit rather than the proper rubber and infinite-life hydrocarbons like they were in the good old days. 

The nearside rear tyre on my Volvo turns 34 next month and is still going strong.

Princess has been collected by the transporter and is winging its way north to the new house.  It'll arrive at new house tomorrow morning so folks have plenty of time to amuse me by papping it on its journey north like they did on its journey south a few years ago.  Or not.  I'm not your Dad.

As an experiment we have just replaced the gearchange linkage on the 2cv with a pair of rose joints

.https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201635139941?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=y95qAWuXR5e&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=xypGSnHgQ7K&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

the gearchange itself is now snick slick positive action, but the whole thing buzzes / rattles through the lever.

anyone got a source of thin nylon washers as I think putting a pair each side may stop the metal on metal vibration. It’s like hundreds of metal wasps.

IMG_0954.png

3 hours ago, Rust Collector said:

This morning my mrs told me to sound the alarm and get us to the hospital.

An hour’s brisk driving in the Disco of Doom and amazingly we had no FTP’s and no major traffic and found ourselves at Hastings Conquest in good time.

Even more amazingly, my partner wasted no time in bringing child number two into the world.

IMG_7196.thumb.jpeg.65e71acacc8db55163a3e6f7faf3f0d2.jpeg

I got to name our son (Jensen), and my mrs has settled on Amélie for our daughter.

I’m absolutely over the moon, couldn’t be more proud of my partner and I’m incredibly grateful for the excellent care once again by the maternity team here in Hastings.

All being well then they’ll both be home tomorrow!

Congratulations to both and little one. But Is that the “come near me with that thing again and I’ll kill you look?” Honestly if men had to give birth I think it would be totally painless by now, rather than ( as my eldest neice described when her sister was due ) bursting out ( images of alien to me and her father).

Went out at lunchtime today, as it was dry, to have a look at the MOT failures on the Rover.  First job was to adjust the handbrake up.  This flummoxed me somewhat - I adjusted the shoes right up so that they were actually dragging slightly, but I still had to pull the handbrake lever up into my armpit before anything happened.  Surely if all the free travel at the shoes is taken out then there shouldn't be any free play at the lever either?  Anyway, I pulled the cable right up on the lever adjuster as well, and the travel is now roughly where it should be and the handbrake definitely seems better than it was, although still not fantastic.

Side repeater was an easy job - the cheap eBay LED bulb I fitted a couple of years ago was on its last legs, but I found a "normal" amber 501 bulb in my stash and fitted that.  Offside headlight beam pattern was a bit more of a puzzler - I'd noticed a while back that the beam looked a bit odd, but the bulb was still seated properly and the reflector hadn't come loose inside the unit.  Today I removed the bulb (H7) and found that the filament had actually drooped inside the bulb - they're very slightly off centre anyway but this one was nearly touching the glass.  Never seen that before.  I fitted one of the old H7s I'd pulled out of the Z4 and the beam pattern looks a lot more like it should do, although still not fantastic - I'm going to treat it to a shiny new bulb which will hopefully sort matters.

Other than the nearside headlight aim (which I've wound down) that's all it failed on - not bad for a 21-year-old car with nearly 200K on the clock.

53 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

Today I removed the bulb (H7) and found that the filament had actually drooped inside the bulb - they're very slightly off centre anyway but this one was nearly touching the glass.  Never seen that before.

was the lamp a no name sort? it sounds like to me  someone fucked up the metallurgy of the filament, or it was not properly stabilised during manufacturing  if you get that wrong and the filament goes all sorts of wonky, something that plagued early coiled filament lamps for exmaple

http://www.lamptech.co.uk/Spec Sheets/IN WC Philips HalfWatt 100W.htm

could also be on top of that you managed to hit some specific resonant frequencies at some point, as briefly touched on here

hopefully the time stamp works, but if it dont, its well worth watching in entirety, if nothing else just because the way people act in it "tell us what you know about that electric light there" " what I know? well it lights what more do I want to know?!" I think sums up most of the forum when I suddenly spot a nice vintage Thorn popular pack in their garage or something such and I start asking about it :mrgreen: 

and if you really want to get into the nerdy details that the pain a collapsing filament can cause, this is worth a read :) 

https://eprintspublications.npl.co.uk/3039/1/DQL_OR3.pdf

(warning its *very* detailed)

46 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

Went out at lunchtime today, as it was dry, to have a look at the MOT failures on the Rover.  First job was to adjust the handbrake up.  This flummoxed me somewhat - I adjusted the shoes right up so that they were actually dragging slightly, but I still had to pull the handbrake lever up into my armpit before anything happened.  Surely if all the free travel at the shoes is taken out then there shouldn't be any free play at the lever either?  Anyway, I pulled the cable right up on the lever adjuster as well, and the travel is now roughly where it should be and the handbrake definitely seems better than it was, although still not fantastic

It'll be the pivot on the shoe expander seized up, I can almost guarantee you. 

image.thumb.png.702c9370eeb4f9685a500cbf2b69f515.png

(Above is a BMW part, I assume it's probably identical to an E46 but I'm only guessing)

It's a bit of a pain but if you take the disc off and get someone to apply and release the handbrake while you look at the lever you will see it's barely moving if at all hence the excess handbrake lever travel with very little parking brake action. You'd "just" need to strip the shoes off, free off the expander with WD40 and it will transform it, and most importantly it will work properly. 

Adjusting it might just be acceptable for MOT (or maybe not, time will tell)

It maybe a case of TADTS, they do, but here's the solution for it because it's not right :)

10 hours ago, Rust Collector said:

This morning my mrs told me to sound the alarm and get us to the hospital.

An hour’s brisk driving in the Disco of Doom and amazingly we had no FTP’s and no major traffic and found ourselves at Hastings Conquest in good time.

Even more amazingly, my partner wasted no time in bringing child number two into the world.

IMG_7196.thumb.jpeg.65e71acacc8db55163a3e6f7faf3f0d2.jpeg

I got to name our son (Jensen), and my mrs has settled on Amélie for our daughter.

I’m absolutely over the moon, couldn’t be more proud of my partner and I’m incredibly grateful for the excellent care once again by the maternity team here in Hastings.

All being well then they’ll both be home tomorrow!

I hope his middle name is Interceptor ....