The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

11 minutes ago, anonymous user said:

I like your style, fuel panic so takes V12 Jag out.

I started the 2cv for the first time in six weeks. Went to ascot to the farmers market.  Queueing traffic on the a30 to get into the one Esso that has fuel. Must have had a delivery as it was closed y sterday,

54A9BDA0-130B-4947-AE88-D7CCAEC5378D.jpeg

42 minutes ago, anonymous user said:

I like your style, fuel panic so takes V12 Jag out.

I had it in my head it was low but apparently I'd fuelled up recently, so no issue!  By the time I need more everyone who's panic buying will have done so and it won't be an issue.

Only a local run anyhow.  If I hadn't been needing to carry bulky things back I'd just have walked.

4 hours ago, Cord Fourteener said:

I didn't realise it was a real place, albeit anglicised in the film to Arendelle. 

And yes I have a little girl otherwise I would not have ever seen this film. 

Now I understand. Did not understand a shit of the other post you wrote earlier as I do not have kids or watch such movies.  And Arendal is a real place it is a small town with about 45,000 inhabitants.

After 20 months of this

2143914860_214ingaragejan20.thumb.jpg.e3a03efd0946f282dd2e04d0501bd50e.jpg

I did this today

1545828733_620ingaragesep21.thumb.jpg.3da01e3b4323c11789c468d1d22e8698.jpg

The Streetwise also spent 30 minutes in there, as I'd taken that one up with a load of tools, jump leads, tyre inflaters and all sorts of other shizzle, as the 620 needed loads of shit pulling out of the boot before storage occurred, and I wasn't even sure it would start.

Any road, 214 battery flat as a pancake unsurprisingly. Stuck my Chinese £20 jump pack on it. Started first time. Blimey. Drove it home, somewhat* illegally (no MoT), but needed to move it today because (a) the tax runs out on 30 September, and if I didn't move it today it would have been forever locked in the garage and (b) the rozzers are a bit preoccupied with OMGFUELKAOS, so chances of being stopped on the 3 mile journey home were slim to nil.

Drive pretty uneventful, but took it slow, but gave it the beans on the 40mph stretch - still got it. Mind you it doesn't have any fuel in it. Logistical problem there.

Jury is 75/25 in the 'scrap it' camp.  This car is fucked. There's a godawful vibration which has been there since I got it (fucked clutch, bottom end gone, who the fuck knows ?), it idles fast, it's got K-seal in the coolant (previous owner but one admitted it to me on Facebook), one tyre has a puncture (don't worry I put the spare on before I stashed it away), the CV gaiters are rotten, and there are spots of rust all over the outside - cosmetic not structural.  I just don't have the capacity or the enthusiasm to do anything with it.

Anyway, did give it the dignity of a wash to blow all the accumulated garage dust away.

Dirty bastard

612580382_dirtybastard.thumb.jpg.eb2b2b2cc61ea93854796bc8b888f5cd.jpg

Clean bastard

1217981605_cleanbastard.thumb.jpg.e93a4d574f842e8d16b3b3862c0b82a3.jpg

Still got a  mouldy seat to deal with, but have to say after 20 months of doing fuck all, it looks okay really.

Shuttled the 620 over to the garage, via dropping a heavy ratchet handle on my bare foot (ouch). 620 has a blowing exhaust and a seized brake caliper, along with a few other annoyances, most particularly a serious case of lacquer peel all over the bonnet, roof and boot. The previous owner had spent £2,500 on a respray. Seems they used clingfilm as lacquer. Pondering what to do next, but chances are it will be scrapped (original cat, ker-ching), mainly because I just don't get the chance to drive one car let alone four - scrap it jury at 50/50. Mothballed for now, battery off, handbrake off, door closed.

Streetwise took exception to being temporarily stashed in the garage by throwing its passenger door into my face and splitting my lip. Ouch, again.

Smug bastard

2064716684_smugbastard.thumb.jpg.3f894f3c419caa2a32105b601669c4cb.jpg

1 minute ago, cort1977 said:

You mean... there's an alternative?

When I sell, I usually like to break even on what it owes me or a very small loss and very rarely a profit. None of this factors in my labour and if it did, I'd be on a sub third world salary. Kinda ignore that as often I do the work for learning/enjoyment. Also not including insurance, storage, road tax, etc...

But yeah, if I sold the Mini now I'd realistically be loosing ~50% of what it owes me. That hurts too much for me to even consider doing that. 

Did the swaparoo

d22636b9d73379539827db97848a0317.jpg
cba095616095f29eec073b42ea1e4790.jpg
af2b007df9704b464538392b513b187e.jpg
cdc9241ea5b671a23e0c4c71be9ad3b8.jpg

This Mini is just a bit too clean and tidy to throw away. Most awkward thing is that in July, when the Bristol Clean Air Zone comes into force, it'll not be useful as a car to me anymore. Would make a good track day toy though... 🤔
b9aa32778bdc5dd7906682105cde4370.jpg57a6851d5637de6e9db11b6f1e25759b.jpg3ed5a18c19eb9cf07eb97ac57d409646.jpga419f624d552b7b1cbb616e9df8e9d34.jpg

4 minutes ago, SiC said:

When I sell, I usually like to break even on what it owes me or a very small loss and very rarely a profit. None of this factors in my labour and if it did, I'd be on a sub third world salary. Kinda ignore that as often I do the work for learning/enjoyment. Also not including insurance, storage, road tax, etc...

But yeah, if I sold the Mini now I'd realistically be loosing ~50% of what it owes me. That hurts too much for me to even consider doing that. 

I was just joking I always seem to lose money. Although broke even on a couple lately.

3 minutes ago, cort1977 said:

I was just joking I always seem to lose money. Although broke even on a couple lately.

I think it usually helps that I usually have to get a bargain and so buy well below bottom market value. By the time I've sold it, I sell at bottom market market value for least hassle, despite being in better condition than usual bottom market stuff! What I should do is retail stuff at its true worth...

9 minutes ago, SiC said:

This Mini is just a bit too clean and tidy to throw away. Most awkward thing is that in July, when the Bristol Clean Air Zone comes into force, it'll not be useful as a car to me anymore. Would make a good track day toy though... 🤔

I'd probably have a Bini as a modern if they weren't so fucking needy. My parent's always needed something doing, even from brand new they were in and out of the dealers for warranty repairs.

I only ever tried an early 1.4, it was slow and I couldn't get the seating position to work for me. I feel the 1.6 cars must be better.

@Crackers, being the top bloke he is, delivered my ramps in his versatile new car
PXL_20210926_103338432_MP.thumb.jpg.8f3677c08cfd4885d32a5c9a019e9e1f.jpg

Which were duly swallowed by the BX's huge boot. Cheers @The Moogfor the ramps! They really are strong things!
PXL_20210926_124857031_MP.thumb.jpg.53e0c41d33435bb2f42a46d92f973025.jpg

The MX5 sounds absolutely lovely. Like, very, very nice. We may* have found an underpass to test this...😁

Rented a Transit van over the weekend for my house move and filled it up at the local co-op station as it's going back in the morning. 

It was a decent lump to be honest, only a SWB Transit custom but there's a limit of how high you can stack household items in cardboard boxes before it gets wobbly so a hi-body didn't seem worth it. But it all got there. Wasn't the quickest, but it was quick enough to keep up with traffic, suspect it was around the 100bhp mark. 

The remarkable thing was that it did 43mpg, doing the math after filling up. And I was plodding along at an indicated 75mph on the hilly bits of the M62. That's as good as my old C5 would have got in those circumstances. Except in the C5 I'd still be moving house as big as it was. 

Remarkable from a van. What a good drive. 

Drove in to Norwich earlier.  One garage had diesel and a quarter mile queue of cars waiting to get in - thankfully there was a bus lane on that bit of road so the queue wasn't blocking traffic, apart from the dozy bint in a Bini who was trying to push her way into the line, until the chorus of horns behind her got loud enough to make her give up.  The Tesco near the university was closed but there was a tanker on the forecourt as I drove past, and a line of hopeful cars queued up waiting.

My local Tesco is back open again but for petrol only, which is fine with me as I'm running around in the Micra at the minute.  I treated it to half a tank - I wouldn't normally have bothered but I need to go into the office for a meeting on Tuesday and a 40-mile round trip bike ride doesn't really appeal.

19 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

Drove in to Norwich earlier.  One garage had diesel and a quarter mile queue of cars waiting to get in - thankfully there was a bus lane on that bit of road so the queue wasn't blocking traffic, apart from the dozy bint in a Bini who was trying to push her way into the line, until the chorus of horns behind her got loud enough to make her give up.  The Tesco near the university was closed but there was a tanker on the forecourt as I drove past, and a line of hopeful cars queued up waiting.

My local Tesco is back open again but for petrol only, which is fine with me as I'm running around in the Micra at the minute.  I treated it to half a tank - I wouldn't normally have bothered but I need to go into the office for a meeting on Tuesday and a 40-mile round trip bike ride doesn't really appeal.

I drove from Swaffham, to Thurrock, back home yesterday and then out to Wells to walk the dogs this morning, back through Fakenham then tried Waitrose in Swaffham too.. not a single garage I passed (Brandon/A11/A14/M11 etc yesterday) had diesel.

Had all but given up with the 335D having 40 odd miles left on the range and was heading home when I noticed the BP garage at McDonald’s had about 4 or 5 vehicles in the queue which all looked to be diesel 4x4s so I waited 5 mins and managed to get £65 worth which will last me the week luckily. The owner was working and she’d said they were the only ones in the area with a  guaranteed supply as they’re classed as a priority station due to having the HGV pumps too.