Jump to content

The new news 24 thread


Father Ted

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

I have realized that I have spent much of the evening looking and drooling over ads on 80's vag products for sale. Do not know if this is good or bad.

80s Scirocco or Jetta for me.
Although I'd love a Mk1 Golf GTi Cab.

Or indeed a Polo G40, although I probably can't afford one of those and they're LHD rocking horse shit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Polo G40s were produced in RHD, as was the Corrado G60.

You may have been thinking of the Golf G60 which was LHD only.

I was thinking of the Mk2 Polo G40 that came out in '87.
The RHD ones were the Mk3 in 1991 or 2 (I think?).

Always preferred the Mk2 Polo.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, TheOtherStu said:

....The RHD ones were the Mk3 in 1991 or 2 (I think?).....

Yes, the Mk.3 were RHD, and available from the end of 1990.

I thought you were thinking of the Mk.3, but it turns out that you were thinking of something different to what I thought you were thinking....errm...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, TheOtherStu said:

80s Scirocco or Jetta for me.
Although I'd love a Mk1 Golf GTi Cab.

Or indeed a Polo G40, although I probably can't afford one of those and they're LHD rocking horse shit.

I'm pretty boring so the Scirocco or Golf cab is not for me. I mostly looked at the Audi 80 B2 as I have the Passat B2 and Golf 2 and Jetta. Was surprised at how many 80 B2 were for sale on  www.mobile.de  and even more that the prices were often higher than here in Norway.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

A pass for the Cavalier.

Screenshot_20210915-112036_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210915-111802_Chrome.jpg

Just picked it up, the tester said he was really impressed at how solid it was underneath,  especially the rear inner arches.

I had already had a look in there back when I bought it so I had an idea of it's condition but it's great to know that the tester was able to confirm this 100%.

Once it cools down I'll see where we are at with the coolant situation. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, TheOtherStu said:

I was thinking of the Mk2 Polo G40 that came out in '87.

Pretty sure one of the staff at Loomies had a RHD Mk2 Polo G40. I remember it being parked outside for a year or so whenever the place was open.

I always lusted after a G40 when I had a povvo spec 1.0 Fox breadvan

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had a slight accident earlier this evening. Urban dual carriageway, Dudley by pass, where they are doing some resurfacing. Right lane coned off coming up to a round about. I was in the left lane behind a line of cars waiting to get to the round about and numpty comes up the right lane and decides there is enough room between the cones and me to barge in. Unfortunately there wasn't enough room and my offside corner met his rear arch. Big shaven headed guy jumps out and starts shouting and generally being aggressive. I thought, look out road rage. He tried to open the passenger door, mines lhd, which was locked, coz I don't have any friends and therefore don't carry passengers. Starts to come round the other side so I locked the door. I thought he was going to attack me. After a bit he calmed down enough that I got out, keeping my distance just in case. He had a minor scrape on his rear arch area and I had no damage. Can't beat a 305 steel bumper. I took photos and exchanged details. I have never made a claim or had one against me in 50 years of driving so I was well pissed off. 

I'll give everyone one guess what make of car he was driving.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

the recommissioning of Cocopop is continuing.

the front cones are done, and the front wheels are back on.

it is proving to be one hell of a job to do, turns out the top arm on the drinkers side has been off before, and who ever put it back on fitted  the bolts in the WRONG way round. which then made getting it back apart close on impossible due the clearance in the subframe. in fact who ever was responsible for this "kwaliti" repair had bent one side of the subframe to make it fit.

idiot.

well George has put that right, and has moved onto the back, though we need a new gaiter thing on the steering rack putting on, cos guess what, its been rubbing on that wrong way round bolt.

George thinks that while the back subframe isn't very clever, there is still some life left in it before it needs changing, not  that its a problem as i have a brand new heritage one upstairs i got for that car, several years ago!

oh and  i hope the suspension will settle on the car, cos currently its like the front axel on a gasser!

20210915_135217.thumb.jpg.6a80dcf3c4e518b477dafbed60cc9e9b.jpg

though i have definitely had my moneys worth out of the original cones.

20210915_140326.thumb.jpg.8a6f96f80688e8e4efa195c8a7f305aa.jpg

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wonder how the insurance company will view it.  If there's no damage to your elderly fragile old classic and a gurt big scrape on his fancy new car, it might look a bit insurance fraudy so it's anybody's guess what the outcome would be.  If you've nothing to repair on your car and aren't making a claim yourself, then it's going to look very odd that the bigger, modern car needs to make a claim for damage.  I suppose all you can do is be honest and see what happens.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The replacement MAF sensor I ordered for the Caliber turned up so this evening I fitted it and plugged the wiring back in.  It's back to running how it was before, overfuelling and kangarooing.  So that was a waste of time and money.  It's obviously MAF-related as it runs fine with it unplugged, but the fault must lie elsewhere than the sensor itself.  I'm not about to try and track it down though.

So that's the car's fate sealed.  Once the MOT runs out it'll be going, probably to the great Mopar dealer in the sky.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, puddlethumper said:

I had a slight accident earlier this evening. Urban dual carriageway, Dudley by pass, where they are doing some resurfacing. Right lane coned off coming up to a round about. I was in the left lane behind a line of cars waiting to get to the round about and numpty comes up the right lane and decides there is enough room between the cones and me to barge in. Unfortunately there wasn't enough room and my offside corner met his rear arch. Big shaven headed guy jumps out and starts shouting and generally being aggressive. I thought, look out road rage. He tried to open the passenger door, mines lhd, which was locked, coz I don't have any friends and therefore don't carry passengers. Starts to come round the other side so I locked the door. I thought he was going to attack me. After a bit he calmed down enough that I got out, keeping my distance just in case. He had a minor scrape on his rear arch area and I had no damage. Can't beat a 305 steel bumper. I took photos and exchanged details. I have never made a claim or had one against me in 50 years of driving so I was well pissed off. 

I'll give everyone one guess what make of car he was driving.

Further to the above here is his number plate which is actually BO56 not BO55 which does indicate a certain type of Audi driver I think.

DSC01042.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, puddlethumper said:

What is it with Audi drivers. Are they bought by aggressive drivers or do they become aggressive after buying one ?

I recently became an Audi owner for the first time and have not noticed any changes yet. But then my Audi is 39 years old and beige. So possible that helps.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...