The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

8 hours ago, Ohdearme said:

Actually did a car thing for the first time in ages...battery had died on the Espace and buggered if I could find the radio code.

Turns out you can pay Renner £10 or much better, just register with your reg number for their 'My Renault' app/account and you can get the code for free, although it insists on fat too much personal info for my liking.

No doubt I'll now get a gazillion piles of marketing guff through the door although the postman might wonder who the hell Mr Twatoff Pinkterton* is... (Don't tell 'em your name, Pike)

https://github.com/Joyez/renault-radio-code-list

New board added to my trigger's broom of a shite shed. The day when I just have to say 'we need a new shed' is coming ever closer. Particularly as some rats had a right good chew through it last Winter. 

thumbnail.thumb.jpg.d6340d2539230c8cafeb8e9c3f1ed2ba.jpg

I had an independent Vaux guy round last night to replace the cambelt and water pump on my Omega V6, looked an absolute twat of a job that ran on till 21:45. I wasn't able to start it as I'd done some of the prep removing the masses of air pipes which I will reinstall later. I've seen that the timing was absolutely spot on prior to the covers going back on but have still had a growing anxiety and worry sweats  all day about it's first start tonight....top tip ......don't ever do things this way :( 

Not in 'sales/parts' threads... cos I don't know!

A guy looks to be breaking TWO. XJS in his front garden 🧐

*Jag spot is now 2nd XJS.

Station Road, Wallsend - just north of coast rd rbt.

No idea if these are anywhere on t'Web, as parts....

IMG_20210826_145654.jpg

I spent a few days visiting my parents earlier in the week and my Mum was going through a load of old photos.  She found a couple of the Sandglow Marina estate we had from early 1982 until the autumn of 1983 when Dad gave up and replaced it with a 4 year old Renault 6.

Here is a rare photo of it actually working - this was taken at my grandparents' bungalow in Devon in July 1982.

20210827_001401.thumb.jpg.0e07ee22ce746bb84f3e96ca07431520.jpg

Bonus Series 1 Beta and 2002 Touring background chod.

23 hours ago, dozeydustman said:

Demonstrator vehicle in.

7D77D68A-447A-44B2-BBFD-DF43F2BD739F.thumb.jpeg.ea32045411190a63b2b39bbb0d62e623.jpeg

For the refuse vehicle fans it’s a DAF 45 LF 12t with a rotary body designed for bio waste.

Is that similar to the Rotopress systems they use in Japan? They're rather good at swallowing lots of refuse for the small size.

When I was working from home I saw one of those rotary jobbies on a big 6x2 Merc chassis running around, I'd never seen them on general rubbish duties before that. I've only ever seen a couple used for waste paper/shredding companies? 

In the office today, there's a huge fire in a nearby unit. We've had ash raining on the car park, we've heard and felt explosions... this was at 11am, still burning now. Like something out of a movie. Just hoping everyone is OK. 

20210827_104904.thumb.jpg.131072d6f6caa65a21ee525f4a20bb33.jpg

On 26/08/2021 at 12:14, Tadhg Tiogar said:

One thing I've always wondered about these dustcarts: do any of them ever get an internal washout during their service lives, or does that rotting smell just get progressively worse over the years? 🤔

We wash ours internally. Part of driver’s end of week duties. These rotary bodies are very good at expelling liquid at unloading time, as there’s a helix on the inside of the drum which channels the dregs and leach out the back.

7 minutes ago, Soundwave said:

In the office today, there's a huge fire in a nearby unit. We've had ash raining on the car park, we've heard and felt explosions... this was at 11am, still burning now. Like something out of a movie. Just hoping everyone is OK. 

This got onto the news!

1 hour ago, Fumbler said:

Is that similar to the Rotopress systems they use in Japan? They're rather good at swallowing lots of refuse for the small size.

Indeed it is the original Rotopress maker who supplied this one. Well, the company who took over KUKA, who designed them in the 1930s.

1 hour ago, Crackers said:

When I was working from home I saw one of those rotary jobbies on a big 6x2 Merc chassis running around, I'd never seen them on general rubbish duties before that. I've only ever seen a couple used for waste paper/shredding companies? 

We have 3 on our green waste service and hopefully a full size 4th is on its way, this is 1st time we’ve had a mini version. Hopefully it’ll be good when it goes out on Tuesday.

We have used them on general waste and mixed recycling. They make a racket when they’re full of glass…..

1 hour ago, Soundwave said:

Leamington Spa fire: reports of explosions as residents evacuated | UK news | The Guardian

Renewal quote for the Capri's insurance came through today - £230 including an 'arrangement fee'. Online quotation done, same cover, same insurer, same everything... £112.

Rang them up just now. They put it through as £112 without an argument, just said "oh well we have to do it like that for renewals". So basically hope that people don't notice, and send the renewal back with a larger-than-needed cheque...

20 minutes ago, N19 said:

Renewal quote for the Capri's insurance came through today - £230 including an 'arrangement fee'. Online quotation done, same cover, same insurer, same everything... £112.

Rang them up just now. They put it through as £112 without an argument, just said "oh well we have to do it like that for renewals". So basically hope that people don't notice, and send the renewal back with a larger-than-needed cheque...

The law is about to change.....

Comes in in January

https://www.fca.org.uk/news/press-releases/fca-confirms-measures-protect-customers-loyalty-penalty-home-motor-insurance-markets

2 hours ago, Soundwave said:

Been past this a few times today and the smoke cloud is enormous, looks to have calmed down slightly in the last 5 or so hours.