The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

2 hours ago, Cord Forteener aka Tim_E said:

Could we have a clue as to the car?

I've seen pics of Alison in the past but my brain has forgotten them. 

Some kind of Audi perhaps? Possibly an early A4 or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Anyway I like that your car is (Possibly) named after the turbo prop engine that the C130 uses. 

On the button with Audi; Alison is an A2 from 2003! I'm going to check out the engine you mentioned! 👍 👍 👍 😎 😎 😎 

14 minutes ago, Eyersey1234 said:

Nothing wrong with giving your car a name, my Focus is called Henry, my view is if anyone has an issue with my car having a name then that is their problem not mine. What kind of car is Alison? 

Alison is an Audi A2:

http://www.balloon-fish.co.uk/in-defence-of-the-audi-a2/

Quite rare when new, bugger all on the roads now; having said that, I spoke to the owner of Rupert who is local to me! 😎

First bus has arrived early, which means I have an hour to explore the charming* town of Kings Lynn. 

Spots from the bus included a house with at least five Audi A2s in the garden, a J plate DS Safari in Halfords car park and a random peacock foraging round the bins in someone's front garden. 

DSC_1766.thumb.JPG.bfbfe13471cb4591ee756e7e2af4a85f.JPG

1 hour ago, High Jetter said:

Looking good. Is it only me, or is anyone else reading too much into that number plate?

Looking forward to Wuvvum Heavy Industries being launched immediately, and stationery and other fripperies being ordered post haste. 

Well, I'm home.  The Merc is a bit broken though.  It seems to have gone into some kind of limp mode - there's no warning lights on the dash but the symptoms are classic, it's majorly down on power, the gearbox doesn't want to kick down and the engine sounds louder.  It was fine when I set off - not sure when the issue occurred as most of the way back I was rolling along the A47 at 60-70, I didn't notice there was a problem until I got to the roundabout at the start of the Norwich bypass. 

I'm going to plug the laptop in and see if that brings up anything, although I have a feeling this could have something to do with it:

DSC_1769.thumb.JPG.45efc5feb0be37e74499b131456258c9.JPG

That is going to get frisbeed I think.

I hope I can get it running properly again because it's a lovely thing to drive otherwise - it's ever so comfy, the stereo is great, the A/C and cruise work, and it just wafts along in a thoroughly relaxing manner.  The bodywork has some cosmetic issues, as is usual on Mercs of this era, but nothing a bit of wob and paint won't sort.

I went to Hartlepool today and looked at something big with wheels. It has a Cummins 8.3 Dizzle. Mmmm. 

Anyway, I haz done a bought. It's the most modern vehicle, 1993, I've ever bought and it's the most expensive as well at £11000. EEEK !! I shall be collecting sometime this week although doing a live collection thread will probably be  beyond my meagre phone skills.

So here's the deal. Anyone who guesses what it is, apart from the one member who knows, will win a tenner. 

Big, Cummins 8.3 should narrow it down. A bit. I don't think one of these has ever turned up on here or been on the Ebay tat thread. Over the next few days, until collection, I'll try and give a few more clues without giving it away.

4 hours ago, Cord Forteener aka Tim_E said:

I'm sat in the passenger seat and have been up from Sussex on the M23, M25 and M40 so far and the amount of classic shite on the roads is amazing. 

I'm loving it!

Just for one tiny example, and what I missed on this car is the trailer!

20210801_164044.jpg

I can beat that - here's my hopeless effort at a door mirror photo of the 101 Victor which was a few cars ahead of me along the A47 - I was going to get a proper photo of it but it turned off before I had the chance.

DSC_1768.thumb.JPG.6baf001122289cf5549bdc81e6d289c1.JPG

2 hours ago, puddlethumper said:

I went to Hartlepool today and looked at something big with wheels. It has a Cummins 8.3 Dizzle. Mmmm. 

Anyway, I haz done a bought. It's the most modern vehicle, 1993, I've ever bought and it's the most expensive as well at £11000. EEEK !! I shall be collecting sometime this week although doing a live collection thread will probably be  beyond my meagre phone skills.

So here's the deal. Anyone who guesses what it is, apart from the one member who knows, will win a tenner. 

Big, Cummins 8.3 should narrow it down. A bit. I don't think one of these has ever turned up on here or been on the Ebay tat thread. Over the next few days, until collection, I'll try and give a few more clues without giving it away.

Some kind of bus by the sound of it. Leyland Olympian?