The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

2 hours ago, Vince70 said:

That’s a real beautiful motor I had one of the first built which was immaculate with the 5 pot and it really was one of those cars I regret selling.

C1758047-1211-4A2D-9F77-72D2FABFD5AB.jpeg

One of the first means it's still one that has no airbags, right? 

You might have had the same steering wheel i have in my estate 

IMG_20210307_142037.thumb.jpg.1bd5218508e0634c75767a0876a61732.jpg

(Sunshade because I was working on the inside and it was burning hot outside)

6 hours ago, Tim_E said:

New Passat update: needs fuel filter I think. I've just given it some beans and it was hesitant.

I was told it might be the case.

Could also be the maf, I'm told. 

Other news, my fwd Passat has had two Haldex filter changes, one at 130k and one at 140k.

That's truly amazing... 🤔

I had a Skoda Fabia 1.9TDi that used to go in to limp mode if I gave it the Beans, changed the MAF no difference, changed the turbo solenoid valves still no change, so it looked to be a turbo issue with the variable vanes, I had another TDi Fabia complete that was my own car before it was written off so I knew the parts I swapped over were good, I had to get the turbo out and then swapped it for the good used one and the problem was resolved, try the MAF and turbo solenoid valves to see if you get any results from that, also check for a boost leak from underneath the car with someone revving the engine to see if you can hear a leak, fuel filter as someone has already mentioned above 👆

I had an air leak after getting the cambelt done last January.  It wasn't hesistant but instead surged because the turbo wasn't spooling fully and spat out a whole load of soot.  Turned out it was an o-ring that hadn't properly sealed on its way to the DPF.  Fixed in five minutes when I turned up with the car at 8AM the Monday afterwards.  No questions asked, swapped the car off the ramp and fixed it with an apology - which wasn't really necessary because it was something that anybody could have missed.

The bonnet cable for the Mondeo turned up today - pretty impressive given that I only ordered it on Friday evening.  Since I had the day off work I thought I'd have a crack at fitting it between rain showers.  It turned out to be pretty easy - the bonnet catch mechanism came off with two 10mm bolts, the cable was fitted easily and with a squirt of GT85 down the sheath it fed smoothly through to the cabin - I was getting worried at one stage as it was catching on something and didn't want to go in any further, but when I investigated it turned out that it was getting stuck on the lever assembly in the passenger footwell - so the cable was already protruding into the car, and was easily pulled through with a pair of pliers.  Everything went back together easily after a squirt of grease, and the bonnet is now functional again.  I haven't got around to fitting the other end of the cable to the lever, but it's not a particularly stiff mechanism so it's easy enough to pop the hood by just pulling on the cable.  I'll get the lever refitted at the weekend, if I can be arsed.

The bonnet cable wasn't the only exciting thing postie brought today.  He also brought this:

DSC_1498.thumb.JPG.bf2e1ac9f8705b36565d3d360aed112e.JPG

It's a Lego set that I really wanted as a kid - I had to choose between this and another set for Christmas, and I chose the other one, but then by the following Christmas they'd stopped making this one so I never got to have it.  They come up for sale quite often on eBay, but they tend to make rather more than I'm prepared to pay - there are a lot of other nostalgic fortysomethings with rather more disposable income than me.  This one came up with a £6.50 start bid and I was the only bidder, so that was a result - with postage it owes me £9.50.  It's not perfect, there are a few bits missing, but I reckon I can make most of those up from the stash of Lego my mum still has squirreled away somewhere.

The rain eased off in the late afternoon so I got the 12v pressure washer out to give my mountain bike a hose off, as it's got rather muddy recently riding round the back lanes.  Whilst I had it out I decided to give the diesel C2 a quick wash, as it hadn't had one since I bought it (or indeed some time before that) and was looking rather manky.  It came up pretty well and looks rather more respectable now, at least on the outside.  I'm actually rather fond of the old crate, which has surprised me - normally when a car sharts itself before even getting home from being collected, it struggles to worm its way back into my good books and usually gets sacked off fairly quickly, but this one has managed it for some reason.

Then I went out and bought a folding mountain bike.

7 hours ago, wuvvum said:

The bonnet cable for the Mondeo turned up today - pretty impressive given that I only ordered it on Friday evening.  Since I had the day off work I thought I'd have a crack at fitting it between rain showers.  It turned out to be pretty easy - the bonnet catch mechanism came off with two 10mm bolts, the cable was fitted easily and with a squirt of GT85 down the sheath it fed smoothly through to the cabin - I was getting worried at one stage as it was catching on something and didn't want to go in any further, but when I investigated it turned out that it was getting stuck on the lever assembly in the passenger footwell - so the cable was already protruding into the car, and was easily pulled through with a pair of pliers.  Everything went back together easily after a squirt of grease, and the bonnet is now functional again.  I haven't got around to fitting the other end of the cable to the lever, but it's not a particularly stiff mechanism so it's easy enough to pop the hood by just pulling on the cable.  I'll get the lever refitted at the weekend, if I can be arsed.

The bonnet cable wasn't the only exciting thing postie brought today.  He also brought this:

DSC_1498.thumb.JPG.bf2e1ac9f8705b36565d3d360aed112e.JPG

It's a Lego set that I really wanted as a kid - I had to choose between this and another set for Christmas, and I chose the other one, but then by the following Christmas they'd stopped making this one so I never got to have it.  They come up for sale quite often on eBay, but they tend to make rather more than I'm prepared to pay - there are a lot of other nostalgic fortysomethings with rather more disposable income than me.  This one came up with a £6.50 start bid and I was the only bidder, so that was a result - with postage it owes me £9.50.  It's not perfect, there are a few bits missing, but I reckon I can make most of those up from the stash of Lego my mum still has squirreled away somewhere.

The rain eased off in the late afternoon so I got the 12v pressure washer out to give my mountain bike a hose off, as it's got rather muddy recently riding round the back lanes.  Whilst I had it out I decided to give the diesel C2 a quick wash, as it hadn't had one since I bought it (or indeed some time before that) and was looking rather manky.  It came up pretty well and looks rather more respectable now, at least on the outside.  I'm actually rather fond of the old crate, which has surprised me - normally when a car sharts itself before even getting home from being collected, it struggles to worm its way back into my good books and usually gets sacked off fairly quickly, but this one has managed it for some reason.

Then I went out and bought a folding mountain bike.

That technic set is ace!

The sun was shining yesterday... that means one thing...

Roof down! 
1ED6D735-8102-48C5-A51D-DEDFD13937F0.jpeg

Which has highlighted my first foible with this car. The zip on the back window is a bit rubbish, keeps separating. Holds the window up though and the way it’s designed it’s unlikely to let water in. If I know it’s going to rain I’ll stick the hard top on anyway. 

1 hour ago, brownnova said:

The sun was shining yesterday... that means one thing...

Roof down! 
1ED6D735-8102-48C5-A51D-DEDFD13937F0.jpeg

Which has highlighted my first foible with this car. The zip on the back window is a bit rubbish, keeps separating. Holds the window up though and the way it’s designed it’s unlikely to let water in. If I know it’s going to rain I’ll stick the hard top on anyway. 

How heavy is the hard top, can you fit it alone?

I used a hoist to lift my MGB  hardtop,  and left it hanging in the garage roof.

I can take it off alone, but the only time I’ve refitted I had to get Mrs_brownnova to help. But since then I bought a hard top stand (posh I know) so hopefully I can wheel it to the car and lift it myself. We’ll see! 

12 hours ago, OM646 said:

One of the first means it's still one that has no airbags, right? 

You might have had the same steering wheel i have in my estate 

IMG_20210307_142037.thumb.jpg.1bd5218508e0634c75767a0876a61732.jpg

(Sunshade because I was working on the inside and it was burning hot outside)

Sorry I meant one of the first I meant cabriolet so it was a bit later than the saloon but I’m not sure it had an airbag.

I do remember it had a Cat fitted which I wasn’t keen on as it was the first year the 80 got one of those.

It was truly immaculate and remember to get it that way I needed a seat bolster repaired and getting hold of the material was a nightmare and luckily someone sent me the material off an armrest which matched.

I’m guessing I sold mine about 8 years ago and it’s still going strong when I last looked.

16 minutes ago, Vince70 said:

It was truly immaculate and remember to get it that way I needed a seat bolster repaired and getting hold of the material was a nightmare and luckily someone sent me the material off an armrest which matched.

Vintage Audi upholstery truly is a pain to find. I found the original fabric that they use in my car ay a shop in Oporto.

Asked for a quote and they reached back with a 80€ per metre quote!

The Transit is in for surgery today. Dad got the turbo out to send it off for a rebuild. Over half a million hard km on it isn't too bad I think. The turbo wasn't even completely shot yet, but oil did start to seep past the seal so we decided to get it sorted before it becomes a runaway problem. ;D

Dad reckoned we should have just chucked a spare engine we have lying around into it, cause this one is also due a cambelt, but I wasn't about to trade a turbo engine for a NA one.

@brownnova when I had an MX5 and was taking the hard top on and off my myself I kept an old towel in the car that I'd spread out over the boot lid which meant I could slide the hard top on and off the locating pegs without risking scratching the paint work - particularly handy when trying to line the top up to get it on by myself.

45 minutes ago, Sunny Jim said:

@brownnova when I had an MX5 and was taking the hard top on and off my myself I kept an old towel in the car that I'd spread out over the boot lid which meant I could slide the hard top on and off the locating pegs without risking scratching the paint work - particularly handy when trying to line the top up to get it on by myself.

Top tip right there! Thank you! 

May I have a bit of a sweary melt down?

Fucking piece of shit diesel PussHat. I've only had it since Thursday and it's in fucking limp mode.  What is it with fucking faffy ever- so- fussy fucking turbo diesels with their fucking snow- flake turbos and other fucking pieces of shit engineering that always just fucking breaks and never seems to just fucking work?

I'm so fucking stressed, I just need a fucking car to go to work, which has been shit thanks to fucking covid, and for the fucking family.

I'm so angry with myself for swapping a fucking working petrol na car that was ok for a fucking piece of shit fucking broken diesel, with fucking mysterious fucking gremlins like fucking always. 

Fucking V fucking W cunts and their over rated fucking shite. I can't fucking afford to go chasing gremlins, neither do I have the fucking time between looking after kids, trying to do fucking work etc etc to kak-handedly attempt and fucking fail to find the problem. 

I just want a fucking daily estate or other large car with a fucking tow bar.

Rant over. Thanks. Sorry. 

shoulda got a diesel Rover 75, the M47R reworked by Rovers and made by Styer Puch are i think far superior to any VAGshite diesel.

obviously the car does have faults, the drop links been a service item, and the clutches been good for only 100,000 miles or so,

the turbos, head gaskets and timing chains are all things though that do not usually give trouble.

the VAG diesels i have driven i have HATED with a vengeance, they are all go or whoa. they were either screaming their fuckin' tits off on the rev limiter, or labouring like fuck with no torque at lower revs.

and usually i didn't like anything else about the cars, their bland looks, their rubbish gearboxes, the suspension made from cement and seats made from rubble, and so on!

1 minute ago, Tim_E said:

Otherwise, yes. 

I'll probably just drive it in limp mode until I can splash out on some decent shite and scrap the fucker...

And breeeeeethe! I had a moment like that a year ago when it failed the MOT, but had a calm down and a sensible look at what actually needed doing and cracked on, you will do the same after some sleep, its a decent motor, never any engine management issues in my ownership..

1 minute ago, Floatylight said:

And breeeeeethe! I had a moment like that a year ago when it failed the MOT, but had a calm down and a sensible look at what actually needed doing and cracked on, you will do the same after some sleep, its a decent motor, never any engine management issues in my ownership..

I've had a few breaths. I've put the kids to bed and managed not to get grumpy with them too much, at least I hope so!