The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

I've jump started 3 vehicles in the last two weeks with the discovery in my close. 2 are essential workers and today it was a hot polish chick delivering Amazon parcels. Found out Vito vans are fed emergency electricals from two points under the bonnet as the battery is inaccessible under the drivers seat- you learn something every day. 

She gave me a score for my troubles which is the most amount of money this freelancer has earned since November! Cool.

7 hours ago, Tim_E said:

I swapped my Mondeo today for a notorious  AS mule, the ex @leanycanex @Unclefesterex @Floatylight?I think and ex @cpjitservices Passat. 

What a car...

20210304_121038.jpg

20210304_133912.jpg

20210304_154158.jpg

Is this the mondeo @leanycan has been after for soooo long? My money says hes not gelling with it by tomorrow afternoon, and its a fiver a ticket! 7 and 43 please 😂

Need to do a full update on my thread, but tonight I chopped the outer sill off the Dolomite. When cutting back at the rear and looking down the sill, I realised the inner membrane was not welded in at the bottom. Really irritating as whoever replaced the sill last could have spent half hour at least welding the bits that haven't rotted, which would have meant this not needing to come off. 

PXL_20210304_220628839.thumb.jpg.93365e800b3ca62c62e1f974fb638269.jpg

At least the front is pretty much intact

PXL_20210304_222414558.thumb.jpg.ad041b94cf928a43b6de2fc91ef9a34f.jpg

Inner sill sections are in good condition thankfully

PXL_20210304_223205175.thumb.jpg.d320614fb7a4deb1e97128833a15e822.jpg

PXL_20210304_223212665.thumb.jpg.ee7dd84f7cb686a9d87e2cd59af7c363.jpg

8 hours ago, chancer said:

Is this the mondeo @leanycan has been after for soooo long? My money says hes not gelling with it by tomorrow afternoon, and its a fiver a ticket! 7 and 43 please 😂

It is, he came waving Passats at me.

Actually he was right, the Passat would always have been good for me and maybe he'll keep the Mondeo more than a month... I'm not holding my breath though😂

15 hours ago, Tim_E said:

I swapped my Mondeo today for a notorious  AS mule, the ex @leanycanex @Unclefesterex @Floatylight?I think and ex @cpjitservices Passat. 

What a car...

Yes, I had it at off @cpjitservicesat the start of last year as a swap for @dozeydustman's 9-3 estate, goes really well, got rid as lockdown hit on the day it was MOT'd, I put the steels on..

14 minutes ago, Floatylight said:

Yes, I had it at off @cpjitservicesat the start of last year as a swap for @dozeydustman's 9-3 estate, goes really well, got rid as lockdown hit on the day it was MOT'd, I put the steels on..

I like the steels.

I'm going to order a traditional grill though.

Tax reminder for the van came through today, went to do it on line and it mentioned the MOT. Checked and it expires tomorrow! Rang a local garage, luckily they had a cancellation today so took it down, left it with them and it only went and passed!

One of the Honda 50s tax is up too, but that's getting SORN as I swapped the insurance over to another bike.

On 2/28/2021 at 4:08 PM, bunglebus said:

FIL's A-class is here to have the dash cam and stereo removed before being hauled away for scrap.

Made the mistake of giving it a quick wash and putting it on Farcebook for a bit more than scrap value, cue idiots requesting "best price" and offering £100 when it was advertised at £350.

First to view was a possibly Turkish bloke with four accomplices that arrived in the dark and proceeded to rag it up and down the road and tut over small faults. Offered way less than we were happy with and eventually buggered off empty handed. 

Next to actually come and view was one of our friends in the travelling community, which made me extremely nervous as I really don't like the idea of them nosing around at the other cars etc. Worse still was him saying he was bringing his "boy" with him, which made me picture a 20-something mountain of a bloke. As it turned out, it was a middle age guy and his young son. He was very polite and courteous, did try and pull a couple of fast ones about the clutch being high (it isn't) and possible head gasket failure due to a tiny bit of mayo in the oil filler neck.

In the end, £280 changed hands, which is more than the £215 the online companies were offering, and it was precariously hitched up to his Iveco with the winch cable - didn't seem to have anything else holding it off the ground, but that's his problem.

DVLA immediately notified of change of keeper...

15 minutes ago, somewhatfoolish said:

It does look like it's escaped from either Dan Dare, Flash Gordon or possibly one of the grumble flick rip-offs.

At first I thought it must have been my eyes. I am not a flat earther by the way - quite a few on tinterweb have made same observation .

How to tell the management I have swapped my car? She hasn't noticed yet, I kind of want leave it until she notices and say 'that Mondeo? It went ages ago,  I've had this Diesel Passat Estate that's dark grey and not black a long time...'

The only danger is if she actually doesn't notice and drives it in some kind of emergency and puts petrol in it might cause damage...

I'm sure she'll notice it's a different car soon. 

16 hours ago, wuvvum said:

Only one of those I've ever seen in the metal was, bizarrely, outside Termini station in Rome.

Only one I've seen was in Geneva, on the waterfront of Lac Leman. It was in a shade very similar to that BMW M3 colour that Clarkson described as 'baby diarrhoea yellow'.

Had some other interesting spots on that trip, including an RHD Scimitar on Swiss plates, and a Japanese registered Hiace camper 😳

19 hours ago, SiC said:

Need to do a full update on my thread, but tonight I chopped the outer sill off the Dolomite. When cutting back at the rear and looking down the sill, I realised the inner membrane was not welded in at the bottom. Really irritating as whoever replaced the sill last could have spent half hour at least welding the bits that haven't rotted, which would have meant this not needing to come off. 

PXL_20210304_220628839.thumb.jpg.93365e800b3ca62c62e1f974fb638269.jpg

At least the front is pretty much intact

PXL_20210304_222414558.thumb.jpg.ad041b94cf928a43b6de2fc91ef9a34f.jpg

Inner sill sections are in good condition thankfully

PXL_20210304_223205175.thumb.jpg.d320614fb7a4deb1e97128833a15e822.jpg

PXL_20210304_223212665.thumb.jpg.ee7dd84f7cb686a9d87e2cd59af7c363.jpg

You seem to be finding out what I'm finding. Basically solid cars with small areas of rust take as much time as really rusty ones especially if the rusty cars have good availability of repair sections.

I bought this today. Age wise it fits more in the Modern section as it's a very late one, 2011, but I can't think of it as modern, the replacement model has now been replaced for a while. It's being picked up on Monday, and will need a windscreen, one tyre, a service and a test. First job is to remove those ghastly wheel trims.154785355_263807948592618_5010456781356779949_n.thumb.jpg.af7bc8bcf9f82da65f7b4a5f58099b8d.jpg

48 minutes ago, Tim_E said:

How to tell the management I have swapped my car? She hasn't noticed yet, I kind of want leave it until she notices and say 'that Mondeo? It went ages ago,  I've had this Diesel Passat Estate that's dark grey and not black a long time...'

The only danger is if she actually doesn't notice and drives it in some kind of emergency and puts petrol in it might cause damage...

I'm sure she'll notice it's a different car soon. 

how far a crawl is a and e :D

Just now, barefoot said:

I think you'll find that technically, there's an autoshite exemption for shit wheeltrims on working vehicles. It's only a bit of a loop hole and admittedly they are a bit dross, but generally you'll find that, 'Fuck off it's only a van' should see you OK with the majority of folk on here.

On 3/3/2021 at 6:59 PM, Timewaster said:

I spotted a super rare Aston Martin out in the wild yesterday. 

IMG_20210302_152509.thumb.jpg.a7537ea02b241cacc0e6e0c9d4a4d797.jpg

I spotted a rare Ginger one at the local Hospital about two-and a half years ago. 

I took a photo or two to the bemusement of onlookers. 

It's called a Cygnet, isn't it? 

🤔

20210305_214548.jpg

Edited by Leyland Worldmaster
I found a shite picture! And shite grammar.