The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Saw this advert go up on Thursday evening and I was awfully tempted. Had the day off on Friday too. 

Unfortunately due to lockdown rules, I'd have had to buy it as a click and collect. Then either picked it up or had it delivered, but then rejected it if it wasn't up to scratch. 

Despite it looking mint in the pictures, I just didn't want to take the risk without seeing it in person first before handing over cash. Shame as it looked like a right bargain. Probably why, because it doesn't look like their usual type of stock and they just wanted to shift it quickly.

s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143952795781

it was sold by the Friday night.

Other issue is, as with the case of any used car or any age, it's likely going to need work. With 2 other cars needing major work still and the rest needing tinkering too, getting an eighth car would push me even further into project overload.

Also didn't really have 5 grand spare either. Mrs SiC actually quite likes them (about the only classic she really does) but I'd have had to sold two other cars - Clio and the 1100 (which is supposed to have been sold already). Problem is, I want to have a bit of fun out of the 1100 in the Spring/Summer before I put it up for sale. It's also a lot rarer and more interesting really.

Combination of disappointment but also relief. Still feel a bit miffed and keep thinking about it (hence this post 😆)

Another thing I've learnt in recent years is that there is always something else that comes along which interests me and of a good price. If I'm full to the max with cars, I can't easily go jump for it.

E.g. I still really would like a Spitfire or GT6. Would be ace to have the BGT and one of them in the stable together. 

Desperately could do with a new garage door too...

44 minutes ago, SiC said:

Usual thing, presumably it's a OEM sensor or one of known decent quality?

How is the fuel pump relay? Might be worth giving it a feel to see if it's hot.

Iirc you've changed the fuel pump out on this already too?

Does sound like it's struggling or getting incorrect fuelling. 

It was a cheap sensor from David Manners so is suspect number 1.  Have limped it to the next village to mine and walked back. I'll go back when it's cold and see-if it starts and runs I'll suspect the sensor as that's what it did before.

Fuel pump is new as are lines and filter. All the ignition side is new too. 

TPS has been cleaned/checked previously.

The only thing I've changed since it was last driven is the crank sensor bracket. 

It's been a retro Tools type of Sunday, all purchased via Facebook marketplace for not a lot of money, orange cased socket set comes all the way from the land of the rising sun by Tool Star, complete set that looks like it has hardly ever been used in WW AF and MM, the ratchet is a lovely thing to operate,

45104824_IMG_20210221_161527_hdr2.thumb.jpg.bae813c554b121fe57a17a64f91b5ef6.jpg

Next Socket set is by Britool and again this is WW AF and MM, bought from the son of the user who passed away, lovely old set which I've been after for a few years so happy to have finally found one somewhat local1465165737_IMG_20210221_161747_hdr2.thumb.jpg.1256692d43348b89909799aef5c6d9fb.jpg

Underneath the top tray was some extra stuff taps and dies plus a hub puller that will come in handy1790303174_IMG_20210221_161836_hdr2.thumb.jpg.23ca2a356436aeb952ced8bce1c2a160.jpg

And finally a couple of pairs of axle stand's 1x large 1x small,520699182_IMG_20210221_161857_hdr2.thumb.jpg.f2765095b9628ba5e9adce7d51b3865c.jpg

the guy also gave me a sledgehammer and a large pair of pipe wrenches, happy boy on a otherwise boring lockdown Sunday

I actually did something on one of my classics today- that being exhume my orange Mini from it's garage (been there since October) and drive it, wash it and top up the levels!

I couldn't believe it, but it started after 20 seconds of churning on the starter, after sitting for 5 months?!  I didn't even disconnect the battery.  Amazing.  All you need is 1960s technology, right?

20210221_163300.thumb.jpg.0d0574ddc33c88854f8b1cef6416b252.jpg

20210221_163249.thumb.jpg.ad0d1bb448b646d2bc5cc03e8c3d4021.jpg

Might risk taking it to work tomorrow.

31 minutes ago, rusty998 said:

It's been a retro Tools type of Sunday, all purchased via Facebook marketplace for not a lot of money, orange cased socket set comes all the way from the land of the rising sun by Tool Star, complete set that looks like it has hardly ever been used in WW AF and MM, the ratchet is a lovely thing to operate,

45104824_IMG_20210221_161527_hdr2.thumb.jpg.bae813c554b121fe57a17a64f91b5ef6.jpg

Next Socket set is by Britool and again this is WW AF and MM, bought from the son of the user who passed away, lovely old set which I've been after for a few years so happy to have finally found one somewhat local1465165737_IMG_20210221_161747_hdr2.thumb.jpg.1256692d43348b89909799aef5c6d9fb.jpg

Underneath the top tray was some extra stuff taps and dies plus a hub puller that will come in handy1790303174_IMG_20210221_161836_hdr2.thumb.jpg.23ca2a356436aeb952ced8bce1c2a160.jpg

And finally a couple of pairs of axle stand's 1x large 1x small,520699182_IMG_20210221_161857_hdr2.thumb.jpg.f2765095b9628ba5e9adce7d51b3865c.jpg

the guy also gave me a sledgehammer and a large pair of pipe wrenches, happy boy on a otherwise boring lockdown Sunday

Liked, especially for this - something you just don't see rattling around any more...

oldh.png

My Grandad was an Old Holborn smoker so we had gazillions of these around the house. Can't honestly remember the last time I saw one. Aw, reminiscent warm glow.

4 hours ago, SiC said:

Saw this advert go up on Thursday evening and I was awfully tempted. Had the day off on Friday too. 

Unfortunately due to lockdown rules, I'd have had to buy it as a click and collect. Then either picked it up or had it delivered, but then rejected it if it wasn't up to scratch. 

Despite it looking mint in the pictures, I just didn't want to take the risk without seeing it in person first before handing over cash. Shame as it looked like a right bargain. Probably why, because it doesn't look like their usual type of stock and they just wanted to shift it quickly.

s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143952795781

it was sold by the Friday night.

Other issue is, as with the case of any used car or any age, it's likely going to need work. With 2 other cars needing major work still and the rest needing tinkering too, getting an eighth car would push me even further into project overload.

Also didn't really have 5 grand spare either. Mrs SiC actually quite likes them (about the only classic she really does) but I'd have had to sold two other cars - Clio and the 1100 (which is supposed to have been sold already). Problem is, I want to have a bit of fun out of the 1100 in the Spring/Summer before I put it up for sale. It's also a lot rarer and more interesting really.

Combination of disappointment but also relief. Still feel a bit miffed and keep thinking about it (hence this post 😆)

Another thing I've learnt in recent years is that there is always something else that comes along which interests me and of a good price. If I'm full to the max with cars, I can't easily go jump for it.

E.g. I still really would like a Spitfire or GT6. Would be ace to have the BGT and one of them in the stable together. 

Desperately could do with a new garage door too...

Yeah, it’s difficult isn’t it. I’d say worth doing a swerve on something like that (with the wood, ahem) as at a distance you either need a straight up and clued up vendor, or run the risk that a superficially good looking traveller back end isn’t all that.

Plus there a lot of shiny looking minors out there with quite mediocre “restoration” work lying beneath. Been there with a traveller, done that, would not repeat. 

Focus finally sold, to the first person who came to see it.

Had been up for 4 weeks or so and was all very quiet, surprising for a diesel hatch with a years test. 

Didn't go slashing the price or anything, was just a bit of a waiting game. 

Hopefully the reduction in numbers gives me renewed enthusiasm to finally get the 405 back on the road. 

18 minutes ago, HMC said:

Yeah, it’s difficult isn’t it. I’d say worth doing a swerve on something like that (with the wood, ahem) as at a distance you either need a straight up and clued up vendor, or run the risk that a superficially good looking traveller back end isn’t all that.

Plus there a lot of shiny looking minors out there with quite mediocre “restoration” work lying beneath. Been there with a traveller, done that, would not repeat. 

In 1996 I was asked to go and look at an Almond Green Traveller at Killaloe in County Clare, which was then the best part of three hours from West Cork, especially in a non turbo 1.6 diesel Passat. We got there and the owner wasn't home yet, but the car was parked outside. It looked really good, but the first thing I did was kneel down and run my hand along the bottom of the driver's side sill. I found my fingers disappearing into rust holes. I stood up, told my friend and we immediately jumped into our car and drove home again. 

I wouldn't buy an old car without a set of pictures of all the rust prone areas on that car. And even then I'd want the possibility to reject it when it arrived 

I always clean the fleet every week but Spring was definitely  in the air today so after a nice long walk I gave them all a bit of a detail.

Couldn't do the Corsa because the bastarding rogue landscapers have left a tonne of hardcore in the way. I will move this during the week as the Corsa is going for its MOT next week.

20210221_161912.jpg

20210221_161845.jpg

20210221_161838.jpg

47 minutes ago, Patent said:

Put a dining table and chairs online free to good home. A man turned up in a bug eyed Fiat Multipla to collect it.

As he was leaving I complimented his car. He replied with "thanks, I own three of them." What a hero!

He certainly qualifies for AS running 3 of those; did you invite him to join the best forum for social misfits that like weird cars?

1 hour ago, HMC said:

Glad you have said that as FOMO has been large on this one. It didn't help that it was only 20 minutes drive from here either, so should have been easy to see.

1 hour ago, HMC said:

PXL_20210219_201515671.NIGHT.thumb.jpg.a14a7d7d0a08f5f8633f7ad98000b864.jpg

🤔😭

😂

1 hour ago, Patent said:

Put a dining table and chairs online free to good home. A man turned up in a bug eyed Fiat Multipla to collect it.

As he was leaving I complimented his car. He replied with "thanks, I own three of them." What a hero!

Did you recommend he join the forum?

3 hours ago, clayts450 said:

Liked, especially for this - something you just don't see rattling around any more...

oldh.png

My Grandad was an Old Holborn smoker so we had gazillions of these around the house. Can't honestly remember the last time I saw one. Aw, reminiscent warm glow.

I've got quite a few tobacco tins now, I use all of them for little drill bits, metal letter punch set, roll pin's, split pin's, small screws, washer's and small fixings, they are very useful little tins 

Had a clear out in the garage today to put the compressor, that Mrs SiC friend gave me, somewhere sensible. Also gave me a chance to clear this area up that was slowly being stacked with clutter.
af11349076f98b765525f688502b2fc7.jpg

Clutter like this, that I should really throw away. Run out of places I can fix this together onto.
a2cf57724d8439bb05d7600f9bfe52b9.jpg

Ran compressor up and it did compression things. Actually noiser than I expected. I don't think it's that much quieter than my direct drive unit really.
efd130043fa1b758eaf7d6e8788e6cdc.jpg

Gave my nibbler a run too. Previously I got about 30 seconds before my small compressor ran out of puff - literally.
3ee82323753c95b822df194030d62bfd.jpg

While I was clearing out, I thought I'd give the mower a startup
982fa980dd18ac9d604e1e053c435130.jpg

Re-fitted the battery but lost the retaining bar. So in naturally used the bodgers choice of zip ties
0e2e8933b3ebc4b41098923c40345fab.jpg

Made another rubbish cold start video

Which left a mess on the lawn. No doubt I will get told off about tomorrow when Mrs SiC looks out the window in the morning.
13088dcbdf6ea6d4e7aaf0375ba96d19.jpg

Realised today that despite having a reasonable fleet I am down to one roadworthy car.

Wife's i3 broke a spring today, passat burst a brake hose last week, mx5 is SORN and everything else needs an MOT. So wife is driving my van to work tomorrow, this is causing a cooling effect on our relationship...

In between finishing off a 1:24 Skyline kit and doing a bit of stuff in the garden, I made use of the great weather today to spend an hour or so messing about with my old things.

Having already used the '88 Sunny to take Miss SL to work this morning, I reconnected the batteries on the Laurel and 1200 and they both happily started-up. As usual the Laurel's RH rear tyre needed a top-up (it's been like that for 10+ years now), otherwise they seem to have survived the winter OK. My garage looks rubbish, but it's timber and draughty so the cars stay dry in there.

Laurel celebrates becoming tax exempt this year, so I must get on with declaring it as historic. It got MoTed last summer despite technically not needing it, so I can start using it soon.

1200 is taxed all year and I thought I'd make the most of it being MoT exempt to collect daughter SL at the end of the day. It was as charming to drive as ever.

Had already extablished that the LS400's battery is flat. Need to get that off and see if it'll take a charge, but there's no rush until I get an MoT booked, and what's the point in that right now?......

Camry is now out of MoT. The battery on that one had gone flat (well, actually it was the Sunny's battery but I'd swapped them over a couple of weeks ago). It eventually took enough charge to get it started, and it thanked me by throwing up the ABS light. It hadn't done that since having a sensor replaced last year, strange for it to have gone again just before I'm going to put it in for a test. Again, no immediate hurry on that - with better weather I'll use the Nissan/Datsuns, and if I have to make a choice between spending money on the Camry or LS400 then it'll be the latter.

4 hours ago, HMC said:

Funnily enough I've just watched Harry's Garage on his Zagato. Makes me feel a lot better than even he manages to buy something that is covered in super thick filler over previous paint and filler. Better but also worried that if he even manages to get caught out...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJ12ZqReMBw

Got a bit more done this weekend thanks to the far more clement weather - yesterday was a touch windy but today could quite easily have been April.

The Trafic van now has a functioning driver's door lock.  It also briefly had a functioning lock on the back door, but unfortunately the little arm on that lock is made from far more brittle plastic than the one on the front, and it didn't take kindly to being installed on a new barrel and has fallen off into the bottom of the door.  That was an annoyance, but the van can still be secured as the back door can be locked from the inside - it just means I have to climb between the seats to get to the back to unlock it again. 

It also now has a full set of working indicators.  I reversed it up onto the ramps to have a look at the wiring at the back, and I quickly gave up trying to understand WTF was going on - at some stage someone has spliced in a load of extra sections of wire, but they've done it all in one colour, and the joins are hidden in an absolute mountain of electrical tape.  I did notice one wire (which turned out to be copper single core ffs) heading all the way down one of the chassis rails, across a crossmember and into the engine bay - intrigued, I popped the bonnet to see where it came out, and it turns out it's taking a feed from the back of the nearside front indicator.  So that made life easier - I disconnected it from the rat's nest of turquoise wiring, and connected up a fresh wire which I ran across to the nearside rear light cluster.  I then snipped the feed wire for the indicator a few inches below the cluster and joined that to my new wire as well.  It's bodgy as feck but it works, and there was no way I was going to start trying to figure out the existing wiring.  I have no idea who's responsible - whether it was the company who originally converted it to a camper or a subsequent bodge artist - but I wasn't impressed.

I jump started the Renault 6 and drove that down to the house so I could plug in a fan heater to dry it out again - Storm Whateverthefuckitwascalled ripped the cover off the car before depositing several inches of snow onto it, so it'd got wet inside again.  It's all dry again now and the cover is back on - this time held on with ratchet straps rather than bungee cords.  I think I'm going to have to treat the old girl to some tyres this year as the ones on there are getting rather cracked.  There's someone on eBay at the moment selling NOS 135R13s for 35 quid a pair - decent makes too, although apparently the date codes are old - got to be better than the tyres currently on the car mind.

I dug out the 12v jet wash and had a go at blasting the Iveco roof to see if I could clean any of the green off it.  It didn't really do a lot of good, but then I wasn't hugely surprised - even scrubbing away at the roof with a scouring pad I was struggling to shift it.  I really need to get a ladder and get up there properly so I can actually see what I'm doing, but that's not an urgent job.  While the jet wash was out I gave the 75 a good blast underneath to hopefully get rid of most of the salt and crap that it's picked up over winter.  It's started locking itself again, which is annoying as I was hoping it'd cured itself of that - I've taken the fuse out for now but that's not a long term solution as with the fuse out the tailgate won't open.  I might have to bite the bullet and get a replacement BCM, and then find someone who can code it in.

Then I decided I'd had enough of chod fettling for one weekend, and I dug the road bike out for the first time since October and went for a ride up to the coast, which was lovely, if a little* busier than during the last lockdown.  Spring is definitely in the process of springing.

DSC_1483.thumb.JPG.781718c93e6b17d6d325e66827a10c60.JPG

Re: XJ40, when you changed the fuel pump, was it a new one (cheaper to buy another XJ40!) or was it a recon/used part? People with more knowledge than me say these pumps have 100k miles in them at best and so it came as no surprise to my knowledgeable friends that a used one transplanted into mine lasted a few hundred miles before conking out. How ironic that the FTP that finally caused the owner to call the scrap man was not the sensor, not the leads, not the dizzy cap, not the throttle body, but the fuel pump that requires a team of contortionists to get the tank out. Car scrapped, I come along and buy the bloody fuel pump...

Our one little permitted pleasure of lockdown has been to visit a local cafe and get takeaway cake on a weekend.

For the first time in a while I decided to take the 2CV... there was something very nice and normal about piling the family into the 2CV and going for a Sunday drive... 6A9607E0-2909-47E9-8189-AF42B4B9C915.jpeg

11 hours ago, ChinaTom said:

Re: XJ40, when you changed the fuel pump, was it a new one (cheaper to buy another XJ40!) or was it a recon/used part? People with more knowledge than me say these pumps have 100k miles in them at best and so it came as no surprise to my knowledgeable friends that a used one transplanted into mine lasted a few hundred miles before conking out. How ironic that the FTP that finally caused the owner to call the scrap man was not the sensor, not the leads, not the dizzy cap, not the throttle body, but the fuel pump that requires a team of contortionists to get the tank out. Car scrapped, I come along and buy the bloody fuel pump...

It was a brand new unit-I wasn't taking my chances with a used one with the work involved in changing it! also new lines, filter and the tank cleaned out

I went back last night and the XJ40 started fine from cold and drove perfectly on the mile drive home.

Symptoms when it started to die were that applying more throttle would cause the rev counter to fluctuate and the car to misfire. Last time a new crank sensor cured it and I did 300 miles with no troubles. 

15 hours ago, ChinaTom said:

We had an iron that worked fine except for a mains lead - frayed to fook. Mentioned this to my dad who told me had kept the lead from an old iron and I should swap it.

I fitted new lead and fuse promply blew. My dad had chucked out a perfectly good iron - and kept the part of it that was fucked.

Given these are worth a reasonable amount now, the closer to stock it is, the wider the potential market there is for it. Thus more potential for higher value and thus profit. 
I'm not sure there would be any profit in it, it's £2k and needs a shit load of work to return to standard.
I've had a long hard think about it over the weekend and decided not to go through with buying it which means I'll probably lose the £200 deposit on it but probably better than losing £2k on a car I may never get roadworthy.
Instead I've been looking at a roadworthy 505 gtd auto at £2500 which is roadworthy, I think in the long run I'd be happier cruising around in that than rattling around in the other one with its incredibly stiff suspension trying to avoid being beached on speedbumps.

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk