The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

2 hours ago, Kade said:

Has anyone ordered anything from EuroCarParts recently? I've made 2 orders - the first one arrived in one day and the second one hasn't been delivered after 11 days now. Contacted support but no response yet

I tried a click and collect last night for it to come up key workers only..

2 hours ago, Kade said:

Has anyone ordered anything from EuroCarParts recently? I've made 2 orders - the first one arrived in one day and the second one hasn't been delivered after 11 days now. Contacted support but no response yet

No, but an order for one of my neighbours arrived earlier. They were lost.

49 minutes ago, loserone said:

How do you prove key worker or otherwise to ECP?

They don't say. They just say they need 'proof of key worker status' - maybe blue light card or some kind of employee ID for an important-sounding job

Just chatting to my mum, she was telling me about how one of her Uncles used to drive her and parents about in an Austin 7 down the A2 (before the M2 was built!) probably in the mid 50's. She was saying how antiquated/comedic it was and like being in a carriage rather than a car. I guess even then that was a bit of a jalopy.

My day in school today, so I go out to get in the Saab and.... click.... dead.

Ah... now I know the battery is a little bit shit, and so I’ve been trying to keep it charged, but alas no.

Quick swap of keys and have to drive Mrs_b’s modern Citroen instead.

Why is this not in the grumpy thread? There has been a dead Peugeot 206 SW sat in my drive for the past few months. And as luck would have it the batteries are the same size! Its not too old either! Bonus.

So I’ve stuck it on charge and hopefully problem solved. I’m only wondering why it took me so long to think of stealing the 206’s battery?!!

7 hours ago, NorfolkNWeigh said:

This lists at £165,000 , he paid £225k , doesn’t even know what half the options are, Ferrari specced it for stock.

Why would he do that?  Is there a waiting list if you want to spec it yourself or something?

The Merc brake bits still haven't arrived.  They're coming from Lithuania though so understandable I suppose.  The exhaust clamp I ordered has turned up though, as has the replacement latch for the V70 door, so weather permitting I should be able to get both the 75 and the V70 operational again this weekend.  75's MOT is actually due to run out in just over a week - that'll be extended though.  I hope they're still doing the extension thing on the 27th when the Tempra's test runs out - that's going to need a bit of fettling.  The 75 probably wouldn't need much now that it has a new exhaust - as long as the headlight levelers behave themselves it should just be rear pads, and possibly a wiper blade.

1 hour ago, hairnet said:

if you are a key worker how would you have time to be fixing your car

4×11.5 hour shifts, followed by 4 days off followed by 4x11.5 hour shifts then 4 days off..... every 16 days you have 8 off.  

That's the shift pattern my daughter is working (Pharmacist at Salford Royal) . 

She doesn't do car repairs though. 

On 4/25/2020 at 3:29 PM, hairnet said:

ive had various cancelled by prem inn and travelodge and ive cancelled some

refunds all happened very quick - from 6 i think id paid straight for two the others were flex  - even if you booked saver you should get money back

On 4/25/2020 at 4:04 PM, Six-cylinder said:

18th March which must have been close to the date they offered refunds.

Thanks for those responses - I chased up by email, as the call centre is closed, and finally got my money back today - the day I was meant to be staying...

So people who are not "key workers" just have to sit and starve to death, because their car is not working. Garages seems to love advertising a similar policy and these people therefore can't get to the shops.

This and other companies are just virtue signalling now. My wife is a so called "key worker" and finds this all a bit embarrassing. 

Absolutely prioritise them, especially at supermarkets, but I wish they would stop making everyone else feel like second class citizens.

Tell you what, let's now shut all the College, University and other educational courses who don't offer "key worker" degrees because according to social media, the radio and that insufferable gobshite Piers Morgan and his little sidekick Dr Hilary, anyone other than that is dead to society right now.

15 hours ago, loserone said:

How do you prove key worker or otherwise to ECP?

I assume the ‘key workers’ ECP has in mind are mainly garages/mechanics. Key workers doesn’t just mean nurses, of course.

Technically I’m a key worker under the official definition, because I’m in charge of crisis management (amongst other things) at a provider of essential financial services.  Clearly I don’t actually require any special treatment so  I haven’t (no sarcasm) written myself an official letter of entitlement, nor have I for any of our staff, except for a couple of IT infrastructure and mailroom guys to say they’re allowed into the (closed) office occasionally to keep the lights on.

Crisis management now mainly involves reassuring the regulators and board of directors that we are still in business and looking after customers, which is easy because we are. All the staff are working at home, so we can mailorder our car parts and queue at the supermarket or get lower priority delivery slots like all the other ‘non-key’ (sarcasm) workers.

The next challenge is working out what safely going back into the office looks like, and when.

I

10 hours ago, wuvvum said:

Why would he do that?  Is there a waiting list if you want to spec it yourself or something?

Yes, it was about 12 months, so the importers know that rich men ( almost exclusively, I’d have thought) will pay a big lump for options they neither want or need and Ferrari can’t accuse them of marking up the price to jump the queue.

This is pretty common  for expensive cars- hence “ Launch Edition” models loaded with extras- this guy’s DB11 was such a beast. Still only got £100k for it traded against the Ferrari though - that’s £110,000 depreciation in just under 3 years and 3,200 miles. That’s a house in some parts of the country, certainly more than I’ve made in that time.

1 hour ago, Split_Pin said:

So people who are not "key workers" just have to sit and starve to death, because their car is not working. Garages seems to love advertising a similar policy and these people therefore can't get to the shops.

This and other companies are just virtue signalling now. My wife is a so called "key worker" and finds this all a bit embarrassing. 

Absolutely prioritise them, especially at supermarkets, but I wish they would stop making everyone else feel like second class citizens.

Tell you what, let's now shut all the College, University and other educational courses who don't offer "key worker" degrees because according to social media, the radio and that insufferable gobshite Piers Morgan and his little sidekick Dr Hilary, anyone other than that is dead to society right now.

As of next week I’m going to technically be a “key worker” - driving a fucking van for a frozen food retailer :lol:

2 hours ago, Angrydicky said:

It seems like a spectacular own goal for ECP vetting who can buy from them and who can't. Do their owners want them to survive or not?

I can understand shutting the shops but I don't see the problem with selling to everybody mail order.

They are selling to everybody mail order. I bought wheel bearings for the RAV4 from them last week, they delivered next day using their own van delivery normally reserved for trade customers. 

Carparts4less (same company as ECP) have delivered twice without issue, although wife is a key worker, there was no need to mention this at all. Slightly longer wait than normal (with cheapest delivery option) but no issues.

Generally I find CP4L to be a PITA, so 'no issues' is actually better than normal!

3 minutes ago, ChampionRabbit said:

Carparts4less (same company as ECP) have delivered twice without issue, although wife is a key worker, there was no need to mention this at all. Slightly longer wait than normal (with cheapest delivery option) but no issues.

Generally I find CP4L to be a PITA, so 'no issues' is actually better than normal!

As far as I know, it is only ECP’s in store collection service that is “key worker only” - GSF are also doing this 

Popped up to my mother's this morning, she lives on the other side of the village, doesn't go out & I take a newspaper & anything else she's asked me to get during the week. We sit 2.2 metres apart in the garden etc. Anyway, I've been thinking this week just how easy it is to just run one car & do 200 miles per month. Today on the way home, all the fucking electricity fell out of the Scirocco. I managed to nurse it home, fitted the new king lead that I've had for ages, the old one was very, very crusty.

And all is good with the world, I iz auto-electrician innit?

1 hour ago, Skizzer said:

The next challenge is working out what safely going back into the office looks like, and when.

That's going to be an interesting one for all businesses to figure out.  Where I work there are rumblings about keeping a significant proportion of the staff WFH most of the time for the foreseeable, and only going into the office one or two days a week, with everyone sat a long way from anyone else.

Thankfully I'm junior enough that I can let other people worry about that kind of thing for me.  :)

Moved the Focus yesterday, and the front brake pad promptly decided that the main braking part was more friends with the disc than the backing plate. 

However ECP delivered new pads within 3hrs - Even the correct parts!

Fitted this morning.