The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

The vectra has become more difficult to start - I was putting off buying a battery due to not really using the car but I have had to bite the bullet. Besides I did'nt want to end up putting a starter on as well.

43 minutes ago, nigel bickle said:

4 days? You serious. 

We leave some of ours months, and I’d be very pissed if they didn’t spark up pretty damn quick.    

As I recall they've been having an issues with a parasitic battery drain issue.

Yet another prescription to collect (it would be really nice if they would just let me order some of it a few days early so I could combine trips rather than making four trips for four different medications).

Exclusively short journeys are not me friend where economy is concerned.

IMG_20200430_170350.thumb.jpg.e349c958ae8627f74e6d234f71c0e415.jpg

12 miles since I filled up and the gauge has already dropped by a good 1/8"!

Why is it you start a simple 20 minute job and 3 hours later you have half the car lying on the floor.

Yesterday all I wanted to do was change the outer door handles on my E36 and tried all sorts of tools to get the latch to move to no avail and took the door cards off etc and still couldn’t move them.

I go out there this morning and insert an old Allen key through the service hole only for it to click first time on both doors and for the handles to fall straight out after trying about 100 times yesterday.

All done now and hopefully the  handle rubbers should last a few years before doing them again 

FA893597-3270-4ACF-9384-B390A5BB5FAE.jpeg

17 hours ago, nigel bickle said:

4 days? You serious. 

We leave some of ours months, and I’d be very pissed if they didn’t spark up pretty damn quick.    

The Boxster lasts about three weeks off charge before needing fusebox hotwiring to open the bonnet for battery access to jump start. After a week, the remote keyfob receiver shuts down and you need to use the key in the door to unlock. You can just tell that the engineers had a lot of trouble getting parasitic drain down on them. The 996 has the same problems. 

Our 2010 A4 however has its original factory battery and will still happily restart after two to three weeks sitting stationary. That is despite far more electronics in it than the Boxster. 

I'm kind of fed up that I have so many old tools, scattered in random places, all different brands etc. The idea is to buy one of those Halfords Advanced kits that has most of the stuff you need for an average fettling job. I kind of got used to seeing them in the display case, massively discounted. The one I've eyed up is this 200 piece set. Thing is, they seem to have put the price up massively. £325 at the time of posting. I would be grateful if anyone here could give me a rough idea of how much they paid for similar products so that I can try and anticipate what sort of deal to hold out for, assuming the prices go back down at some point.

https://www.halfords.com/tools/hand-tools/socket-sets/halfords-advanced-200-pc-socket-and-ratchet-spanner-set-735757.html

30 minutes ago, Broadsword said:

I'm kind of fed up that I have so many old tools, scattered in random places, all different brands etc. The idea is to buy one of those Halfords Advanced kits that has most of the stuff you need for an average fettling job. I kind of got used to seeing them in the display case, massively discounted. The one I've eyed up is this 200 piece set. Thing is, they seem to have put the price up massively. £325 at the time of posting. I would be grateful if anyone here could give me a rough idea of how much they paid for similar products so that I can try and anticipate what sort of deal to hold out for, assuming the prices go back down at some point.

https://www.halfords.com/tools/hand-tools/socket-sets/halfords-advanced-200-pc-socket-and-ratchet-spanner-set-735757.html

I paid about £73 for my 150 piece set.

I went through Quidco and bought it in an Easter sale a few years back but before the Quidco discount I think it was £79 

image.jpg

41 minutes ago, Broadsword said:

The set must still be in production as I bought a new case for it  last year as the clips were broken on mine and in the end they gave me two cases as the first wouldn’t  lock properly which I repaired with some help with a set of pliers so can’t grumble.

I found the receipt but have never had to use it when I’ve taken the mistreated broken items back lol

1C121659-D9C1-4B24-AF57-5DF726936203.jpeg

16 minutes ago, Vince70 said:

I paid about £73 for my 150 piece set.

I went through Quidco and bought it in an Easter sale a few years back but before the Quidco discount I think it was £79 

image.jpg

That's the same as my set.  The only bugger now I have a roller cab is that this ends up in a massive drawer taking up loads of space

Tried our fleet after 5 weeks 406 Coupe, Fiat 500, both modern Mercs- no problem. E30, Beetle Floppytop and CLKdidn’t want to know ordered a £40 battery from Euros that will fit both the BM and VW , hopefully at least one will recharge and hold a charge. CLK already on charge.

Yesterday spoke to the owner of a brand new FerrariPortofino, he drove it for the first time since it was delivered 4 weeks ago, on Wednesday . Went to London to his doctor, so about 130 miles round trip. Left it outside so not on the battery conditioner overnight, it didn’t start!  He did wonder why Ferrari give you a free*conditioner whereas Aston Martin sell you one as an extra...

I reckon there’ll be a shortage of batteries when(if) things go back to normal.

My socket set is a "Torq" thing I bought on special offer from B&Q about 15 years ago - it was around 30 quid if memory serves.  It's all metric, socket sizes from 8mm to 32mm, plus a surprisingly decent ratchet, a selection of extensions and a universal joint.  The main advantage it has is that the sockets are all 6-sided - I've had issues in the past with 12-sided sockets rounding off rusted nuts.

I've only had to replace one bit in all that time - the 17mm socket, which cracked when I was trying to undo a ridiculously tight wheelnut on a Punto by jacking the car up, wedging a 2' breaker bar between two paving stones and dropping the car off the jack.  All the rest has survived my hamfisted attempts at mechanicing completely unscathed.

1 minute ago, NorfolkNWeigh said:

Yesterday spoke to the owner of a brand new FerrariPortofino, he drove it for the first time since it was delivered 4 weeks ago, on Wednesday . Went to London to his doctor, so about 130 miles round trip. Left it outside so not on the battery conditioner overnight, it didn’t start!  He did wonder why Ferrari give you a free*conditioner whereas Aston Martin sell you one as an extra...

Never heard of a Portofino before.  Is that the replacement for the California?

11 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

Are there 400,000 willing shites to raise the £200k needed!

Going for a bASe spec then?

4D31FFAA-2E1F-4C76-8CD8-A0BEDFD44224.thumb.jpeg.7a58607fef05f0375c4f396fb3e214a8.jpeg

This lists at £165,000 , he paid £225k , doesn’t even know what half the options are, Ferrari specced it for stock.

The Roma is going to be a bit more expensive and 29bhp more powerful-like you’ll notice that when there’s already 600.

1 minute ago, NorfolkNWeigh said:

Going for a bASe spec then?

4D31FFAA-2E1F-4C76-8CD8-A0BEDFD44224.thumb.jpeg.7a58607fef05f0375c4f396fb3e214a8.jpeg

This lists at £165,000 , he paid £225k , doesn’t even know what half the options are, Ferrari specced it for stock.

The Roma is going to be a bit more expensive and 29bhp more powerful-like you’ll notice that when there’s already 600.

No prices announced yet. I guess you are right I was thinking base price under £200k and £30k in options, your right so can all 400,000 of you all send 65p!

Has anyone ordered anything from EuroCarParts recently? I've made 2 orders - the first one arrived in one day and the second one hasn't been delivered after 11 days now. Contacted support but no response yet

I had a lovely surprise this morning there was a knock at the door, when I went out there was nobody there, but someone had left a parcel and it's not even my birthday.

It seems to be some sort of alarm clock,  I haven't been able to get it working yet, I'll have another try after tea.

20200501_180301.jpg