The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Bollocks.

My Mum's just rang to tell me she's sold my Renault 5.

Technically she has no right to do this but, as it's been sitting on her drive for several years and I've not responded to repeated requests to move it, I shouldn't be too mad. But I am. The pikey who took it obviously didn't do the paperwork properly (the V5 is here with me) so I shall have to draft a simpering letter to the DVLA tomorrow.

I agree, report it as stolen and have your mum arrested.

Oh yeah.. The N/S/R brake on the 240 was getting hot, not glowing but too hot to touch after a long run. I stole a spare 30 mins (just nipping outside for 5, my love) to get the disc off to see what was up. There seemed to be a lot of brake dust in the "drum" part of the disc where the shoes handbrake live but a stiff brush got it all out. Caliper seemed to be working fine so stuck it all back together again. Seems to be OK but time will tell. Plenty of meat on the friction surfaces too. Happy days.

What were you expecting for 30 mins on a Sunday afternoon? An engine swap??

Bollocks.

My Mum's just rang to tell me she's sold my Renault 5.

Technically she has no right to do this but, as it's been sitting on her drive for several years and I've not responded to repeated requests to move it, I shouldn't be too mad. But I am. The pikey who took it obviously didn't do the paperwork properly (the V5 is here with me) so I shall have to draft a simpering letter to the DVLA tomorrow.

Sorry fella, but as you said it's been there for years and you hadn't moved it when she asked...

Can you tell I'm a parent :D

Just find the nearest gyppo camp (you know the one, the type where they've rented a field for 'keeping horses on' and called it Sunny Meadows), get the postcode for the lane and send it off in the name of A. O'scrapthief.

I'm of this work this week (yippee!) and I'm absolutely bastard well determined to offload the sodding Mondeo.

Lad's 106 has run out of MOT and tax so I'll have to clear the garage out and lob it in there for now. Needs a new exhaust and currently hoping that if I buy a mingebag one c/w cat from eBay that it'll pass the emissions test.

Not much left to do to the Zafira: couple of daft trim bits from the scrappy and investigate why one of the back seats doesn't want to come out.

Incidentally if any local shiters need a hand with anything this week give me a shout. By mid-day tomorrow I'll have had enough of my missus and will be looking for an excuse to blend for a while. Can shift cars (trade insurance), pass spanners, swear, clean and polish and make tea.

Tempting as it is to have my Mum arrested, that would leave me with a childcare issue for tomorrow and get my other car evicted from her garage!

erm, I hope she didn't mention that there was another car in the garage to said purchaser. If she did it might be worth moving that one before it goes walkabout - or get a nice vicious german shepherd.

Billy, I'll get the pics over to you during the week, Please DON'T sell the Mondy until we have a chance to talk about it :wink:

Good lad, keep me posted please! I wasn't trying to be 'funny' by the way mate, my memory is pretty shit and a large helping of falling down water last night didn't help!

The Jag appears to have got itself stuck in "valet" mode, after I accidentally pressed the valet button while fumbling for the rear demister switch earlier today. This means that when you press either the boot release button on the dash or the button on the boot lid the car just bleeps at you and does nothing. The boot will still open with the master key, so not the end of the world, but annoying nonetheless. I'm starting to wonder whether I should sell the car sooner rather than later, before something hideously expensive goes wrong.

Can't find a cheap early 460 CD to break for its leather interior.

And I need a pair of door mirrors and an OSF door card to replace the ripped one on my car. There's a 90G 440 Turbo up North on eBay in a breakers - did 440 \ 460 share front doors?

The Jag appears to have got itself stuck in "valet" mode, after I accidentally pressed the valet button while fumbling for the rear demister switch earlier today. This means that when you press either the boot release button on the dash or the button on the boot lid the car just bleeps at you and does nothing. The boot will still open with the master key, so not the end of the world, but annoying nonetheless. I'm starting to wonder whether I should sell the car sooner rather than later, before something hideously expensive goes wrong.

The 'valet' button on mine is in the centre armrest. Where is it on yours???

Can't find a cheap early 460 CD to break for its leather interior.

And I need a pair of door mirrors and an OSF door card to replace the ripped one on my car. There's a 90G 440 Turbo up North on eBay in a breakers - did 440 \ 460 share front doors?

Haven't been near there in years but this place...

Rednal Garage,

Rednal Industrial Estate

Rednal

West Felton

Oswestry

Shropshire

SY11 4HS

Telephone: 01691 610 466

Used to have stacks of old/modern/modern-ish Volvos in their yeard and could be worth a try?

The 'valet' button on mine is in the centre armrest. Where is it on yours???

On the centre console, just above the climate control panel. It got moved there when they redesigned the dash for the XJ8. Personally I think in the centre armrest is a much more sensible place for it.

Well the water pump on my Maestro has been leaking and rumbling for some time now, and it's got much worse lately, so I fitted a new one.

Got this NOS one off Ebay for £18, probably could have waited and got one for 99p or something, but at least it's the correct OE one. Here it is:

SAM_0165.jpg

SAM_0161.jpg

SAM_0164.jpg

After a fair old battle (not much access!) I got the old one off, it was pretty shagged:

SAM_0162.jpg

And here's the new one in place with the new gasket, and I shoved a new fan belt on while I was at it.

SAM_0170.jpg

SAM_0166.jpg

Nothing particularly exciting, just thought AS needed some shite car-related content.

Moving from the Gubbermint thread

jrqqlc.jpg

The alternator now works with a wire from the bulb (a previous bodge means it's charge warning light is a seperate bulb not in the instrument binicle) to the ignition relay now has the light coming on and going off as it should and a healthy charge rate :D

Mot tomorrow (and more pictures as I have a day off so some free time in daylight!) I know it needs two small patches of welding but fingers crossed that will be it.

It failed :(

Rear wheel cylinder, corrosion near the two rear seat belt mounts and round the two rear subframe mounts. The wheel cylinder and seat belt mounts are easy (and were know about) the rear subframe mounts need the petrol tank removed. I don't think this is possible without removing the subframe (does anyone know?).

I think the plan is to attempt to remove the subframe, remove the petrol tank, reattached the subframe, trailer the car back for welding. Might take some saving up first.

The subframe should come down without a problem, you shouldn't need to let the fluid out of the suspension. I don't know how hard it is to take the tank out on a 5-door, but it shouldn't be too difficult. Here's a couple of pictures of mine from when I welded its sill ends up a few years ago:

rustymetty_submountr1.jpg

Sill-fillerneck.jpg

I took a few photos of an old guy's '81 city and came up with this:-

Sillfillerneckdone.jpg

The nearside had been bodged (Remeber, 1 owner and always serviced/MOT'd by the same place)so it got some treatment too

Sillleftdone.jpg

Phwoaar!

I won't bore you with my 3 weeks of fucking about trying to wire in a non saab stereo into the ultra modern mobile, but suffice to say it was a colossal faff, now conquered. Although I'd forgotten my head unit that I've now put in has a broken button (next track) which is infuriating and already making me wish I'd never bothered in the first place. Hussar!

New shite after xmas, hopefully. I feel a bit of an imposter at the minute, even if the Vauxsaab 9-v3ctra has long term shite credentials! :oops:

I'm starting to think I might have to sell the Rover already. :cry:

The 2CV needs welding, the BX needs welding and a whole heap of stuff, the Rover needs brakes and, ideally, the gearbox sorting. Classic 'too many cars' syndrome and I can't actually afford to get any of the work done. I'm not going to sell the 2CV, don't really want to get rid of the BX and that leaves the Rover as the only one for the chop.

I'm hopeful that I can get close to a grand for the Rover. It may be leggy with poor third gear synchro, but pretty much everything seems to work, it's super-desirable, range-topping spec and it's the diesel manual estate. Perfect really. Question now is to find the best way to sell...

It failed :(

Rear wheel cylinder, corrosion near the two rear seat belt mounts and round the two rear subframe mounts. The wheel cylinder and seat belt mounts are easy (and were know about) the rear subframe mounts need the petrol tank removed. I don't think this is possible without removing the subframe (does anyone know?).

I think the plan is to attempt to remove the subframe, remove the petrol tank, reattached the subframe, trailer the car back for welding. Might take some saving up first.

Good luck with it, the car looks sound otherwise so worth persevering with :)

The last few days my shite activities have involved replacing the front spheres and accumulator on the BX, and draining the LHM, cleaning the reservoir and filters and bunging new LHM fluid in, followed by a good bout of up and down with the hydraulics lever. It took a while for the system to pressurise again but all is now well and floaty for a trip up the NEC on Saturday.

Good job I put loads of dust sheets down in the garage though as the floor was green when I'd finished - and I got an oily foot as forgot to de-pressurise when bleeding the front brakes, fluid all over the place!