The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

LUKEWARM NEWS - QUANDARY-SYNDROME SPREADS TO WALES

BX's are useless in the snow; invest some of the Rover money in a mig and a heater, get the Bx all nice and jacked up in the garage, and by Spring you'll be so mig-ed up doing the 2CV floors will be a piece of piss.

Welding isn't that hard once you get stuck in, but the BX will be better to learn on because the metal is marginally thicker than on the 2CV.

Oddly, I found the BX wasn't too bad in the snow. Until we got a LOT of it... CX was legendary. I really should get stuck in with welding. I can't argue that I don't have the time any more. Well, once we've finished getting the house back to normal anyway...

Looks like the Rover potential buyer is easing out of the viewing, so I guess I'll just have to live with those heated seats for a bit longer. And follow up on those instructions for topping up/bleeding the clutch hydraulics.

so I guess I'll just have to live with those heated seats for a bit longer. And follow up on those instructions for topping up/bleeding the clutch hydraulics.

Just use one of those Gunsons pressure bleeding things that screw onto a tyre valve. Saves a whole world of faffing about with "PRESS..... OFF..... PRESS..... OFF... BUGGER.... START AGAIN..... PRESS.... have you toppped up the resevoir?"

I really should get one of those things. It would indeed make life a lot easier in this case!

However, all I've done today is replace one of the headlamps on the Mini, for another lump of sealed beam goodness. £6 on Ebay (plus a tenner postage) but only one of the pair of lamps works. Have contacted the seller. Quite pleased that the first one I fitted was duff or it would have sat on a shelf for gawd knows how long until I needed it, at which point I would have discovered that it was duff and would have been a bit miffed.

re BX's in snow. I guess it's all relative; most of my cars have been excellent in the snow (Dyane/2cv/GSA/CX/XM) and in comparison the BX is piss-poor, but I guess I've been spoilt :lol:

Oh aye, compared to that lot, the BX is no polar bear that's for sure. After all, I did get badly stuck in snow last winter, though any FWD car on standard tyres is going to struggle on a steep hill, with no momentum (due to a previous bend). Not sure the 2CV would have got me up it, though it would have been lighter to push...

I'd put mine ahead of my old Peugeot 306 DTurbo though, thanks to the winning combination of skinnier tyres and less power.

Erm - I have just bought a DS engine on ebay. Main bearings in the saloon are a bit rumbly on start up so I bought this one on spec. If it is good it will be a bargain, if it needs a rebuild it will save having the car hanging around without an engine in it. Hopefully it will all work out fine. Next problem - how to get it home. Will a DS engine fit in a plastic crate? The guy has got a hoist so we can get it into the back of the Safari quite easily but how do I stop it from sliding around on the journey?

The last time I moved an engine (triumph 2000) in the back of a Safari it started out right at the back with a full load of other stuff in front of it. When we arrived there was a two foot space at the back of the car due to a bit of heavy braking being required on route.

Erm - I have just bought a DS engine on ebay. Main bearings in the saloon are a bit rumbly on start up so I bought this one on spec. If it is good it will be a bargain, if it needs a rebuild it will save having the car hanging around without an engine in it. Hopefully it will all work out fine. Next problem - how to get it home. Will a DS engine fit in a plastic crate? The guy has got a hoist so we can get it into the back of the Safari quite easily but how do I stop it from sliding around on the journey?

The last time I moved an engine (triumph 2000) in the back of a Safari it started out right at the back with a full load of other stuff in front of it. When we arrived there was a two foot space at the back of the car due to a bit of heavy braking being required on route.

TBH the only safe way is to to use a trailer and strap it down well; although I have carried engines in the back of cars before you have to be aware that if you hit anything the odds of the engine sliding forward and maiming you are high.

That said, if I were you I would use a wooden pallet that you have adjusted to fit tightly in the D's load bay, and when collecting the engine drain the oil and lie it on it's side on the pallet, held down around the pallet with a ratchet strap.

I concur, the absolute best way to carry an engine is to strap it down to a pallet. You can cut out slats so any lumpy bits of engine drop down to make the lump lie flatter or you can turn the pallet upside down so the sides form a "box" around the engine. Saves the inside of your car being smashed to bit, too!

I always found the BX ok in the snow - except once when I parked on a road with severe camber - - about 3 foot from the kerb - I got out and watched the car slide horizontally down to the gutter :shock:

they are rather light - no snow tyres on the cars yet - will get some front ones for the BX and some socks for the Scoob -

lovely day but no tinkering for me sadly - friends coming round for lunch and have been spending the morning cooking:

Roast leg of lamb

Boulangerie Potatoes

Squash and parsnip with herbs de Provence

Petie pois a la Francais

Apple Crumble and Custard

Cheese..

and a couple of bottles of Asdas - £3.20 Puglia (very good BTW) to wash it down - sorted¬

(£3.20 bottles of wine is how the mults are getting round the new Scots law banning multi buy deals on booze)

only pisser is I need to sort out the dining room which has spent the last 3 months bering used as a parts and tools store....bugger better get on with it - just stubbed my toe badly on a BX driveshaft and knocked trhe side of my ankle (unbelievably painful) on the side of an old alternator which looks like it might have been leaching grease into the carpet....uph oh - here comes Mrs Scooters - better stand over the spot¬ :shock:

The Scimitar passed its MoT yesterday - struggled a bit with the HC emissions - which I thought it might, as 223,000-mile Cologne V6s tend to use a bit of oil - but the CO was low enough to pass a Cat test. It also got itself an advisory on the rear shocks, which technically he could have failed it on as they are quite bouncy, but they don't leak or owt. And the NSR brake is binding a bit, but it still passed the brake test. I would imagine it could be quite a good classic to use through the winter - the galvanised chassis and plastic body should keep any major rot at bay, it's got a decent heater and adequate headlights. Only drawback is the HRW doesn't work, and I hate driving around with a misted up rear screen.

The 156 is being an Alfa again. Took it for a spin yesterday, for the first time in a long while, and it got rather hotter than usual. Got home and popped the bonnet to investigate, and the radiator bottom hose is stone cold, although the top hose is warm. So it looks like I've got a blocked rad. GR9. :roll:

Theres a Dangel 4x4 Peugeot 505 GRD that turns up from time to time on my estate, about half a mile from me. I've always meant to collar the owner at some point.

Today was that day; the Dangel was on the driveway and I plucked up the courage to ring the doorbell. He wasn't in, but his wife was very welcoming and said that the chap would be pleased to hear from me. I gave hime my e-mail address and website details.

I also took a few photos, but won't post them until he sanctions it.

However; I DO WANT a Dangel 505.

Question for other scottish shitters. Does anyone know the name of the breakers you can see on the right from the M8 Just before J3 at Livingston heading west bound?

I've had a look on tinterwebz but can't find anything.

As you've found, it's not actually a breakers, it's just a yard full of abandoned shite. I've been dying to get in there for yonks! The units are accessible from the A89 at the top end of Broxburn. I'm tempted to urbex it...

Nipped out in the Scirocco for fish & chips yesterday.

the Magpie in Whitby is spectacularly good, but at 150 odd miles each way

it's a bit of a bugger as the chips are cold by the time you get them home.

Sorted, ate them on the pier - car worked faultlessly - two & a half hours

each way at eighty five ish - will advise mpg shortishly.

Question for other scottish shitters. Does anyone know the name of the breakers you can see on the right from the M8 Just before J3 at Livingston heading west bound?

I've had a look on tinterwebz but can't find anything.

As you've found, it's not actually a breakers, it's just a yard full of abandoned shite. I've been dying to get in there for yonks! The units are accessible from the A89 at the top end of Broxburn. I'm tempted to urbex it...

I caught a glimpse of 1 maybe two Allegro estates as I drove past yesterday. I've seen other tat in there from time to time so presumed it was a breakers of some kind.

No wonder the BX was feeling a bit wooly and clonky...

310542_10150471540828200_640023199_10498163_206988898_n.jpg

Also replaced a balljoint, which also didn't help. One track rod end suspect, both strut tops changed, but one of the replacements has a bit of play in it too. Much, much better though. Could have a good hoon on the way back home with full confidence! Still lots to do though, and I'm worried that the To Do list is beyond my means financially and practically. Pondering the next move.