The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

I know recently there was one minicab firm in Morley (Leeds) with every car in their fleet with yellow painted headlamps.

I know this firm. About 5 year ago they had a burnt orange Marea weekend minicab that I used to see regularly when I used to go through Holbeck. It had the full yellow headlights. I thought they looked quite smart and gave me the idea of yellowing up the lights on my Brava.

I never did though :lol:

A bit like this?

V474MEU-201005253.jpg

I only changed the sidelight bulbs though, so you couldn't tell with the headlights on.

In other news, for some reason, I've decided that I'd quite like a Ford Focus Mk1 estate. Pre-facelift thanks. Either that or a Vauxhall Frontera. I must be mad.

talking about cars you like.... i am finding myself being drawn to trying out a nissan elgrand :shock:

i know they look like a pimp's shaggin wagon,but it's an itch that won't go away :oops:

You can get something from the doctor for that!

My dad lent my Fiesta to a customer, s.

It's a 1.4 zetec Finesse. Due to my love of 'just the basics' this is one of the most luxurious cars I have ever driven.

Fun part is the power steering pump is fucked so the screeching and grinding noise it makes scares the shit out of pedestrians. I have no intention of fixing it.

SCORPIO IN EPIC FAIL NON-SHOCKER.

Epically failed the MOT. Good news is that nothing expensive is involved. Bad news is that it's going to be fiddly to get things right.

Sidelight bulb blown. Ok, that's easy.

Headlight aim too high...Looks like it's just a case of toying with the adjustment screws, but I don't recall having done it before so the car will probably end up even more crosseyed than it is now.

The microscopic bulb in the dash that informs you of rear foglight operation is also blown. Most probably the whole switch will need changing. Good luck finding one in a scrapyard (Anyone got one? scary? Albert?).

One of the rear seatbacks won't secure itself properly into place. Looks like some real improvisation is required to get that fixed.

On the plus side, the test was both cheap and very honest. The local Vauxhall/Daelet/Saab dealer charges a labour rate of 70+VAT per hour, but will happily let two employees spend an hour doing an MOT for twenty-five quid. Can't argue with that- not like I would ever let them try 'fixing' anything on my car! :mrgreen:

I'll take the switch out and have a butcher's. Rear fogs work fine...I am rather annoyed that you can fail due to the absence of an internal light that tells you it's on.

You are right, the seat just needs to be fixed in place...Although it is a bit pointless, because if someone is sitting there they will be restrained by the seatbelt which works fine. The problem is that the LPG tank lives right behind the seat and consequently there isn't a lot of access...I think I may have to find a way to bind it to the other seatback...

£100 sounds well tempting. I would then be able to sleep without worrying whether the drunken twats will be kicking the wingmirrors again.

I spent this weekend driving the Honda to Durham in the to visit family, It was the longest drive its ever been on and Its first real test. - its now done a total 16,800 miles :shock: Its a pleasant car to drive long distances the seats are comfortable and it managed a reasonable 33mpg which is fairly respectable. The Radio is crap though as with only two front speakers it cant really be heard in the back!

I got home to find a Rebel Van on offer at a price to low to refuse... I have no more space at home, So today I've phoned up to rent a garage for £12 per week which should be able to house it until it can be got ready for the road.

Amazing how an interest in cars can take over your life!

Fitted helper springs to the rear of Volvo- Volvo now has funny knocking noise coming from O/S/R/. Had a good poke about tonight and found that all of the bushes are borked, plus the trailing arm is rotten! WAAAH!!!

TBH I did spot all that when I fitted the springs, but my brain was so horrified it simply erased the memory instantly.

316523_2637733339048_1126932104_32960385_81476307_n.jpg

Our messy mechanic is off work this week, it was decided that we would all muck in and have a bit of a clear out, I have been there 17 years and cant ever remember seeing the workbench, everything is kept when its removed, god knows how many years of brake pads, timing belts etc etc. We used the above impreza as a movable skip and just went mad, mike is going to go mental, but the other mechanic seems happy to have some space to work. Half way down to bench level i found a local paper dated 1995 that looked like it was bought and placed there to be read, and then got covered up and forgotten about, I also found a great old radio, and a british leyland mat thing which I assume is for lying on under cars, I will take a pic and add that, i would imagine that someone here would like it, and they are welcome to it. :)

I got home to find a Rebel Van on offer at a price to low to refuse... I have no more space at home, So today I've phoned up to rent a garage for £12 per week which should be able to house it until it can be got ready for the road.

EXCELLENT! I look forward to reading about that one when the time comes

That BL mat isn't a wing protector is it? Might know someone who'll bung ou a few quid for it anyway - get the pics up!

no, its about 5 ft long, and 2 ft wide, made of slightly padded blue vinyl, with "british leyland cars" text at the top. i will foto tomoz... :)

PM sent! :D

In other news, for some reason, I've decided that I'd quite like a Ford Focus Mk1 estate. Pre-facelift thanks. Either that or a Vauxhall Frontera. I must be mad.

talking about cars you like.... i am finding myself being drawn to trying out a nissan elgrand :shock:

i know they look like a pimp's shaggin wagon,but it's an itch that won't go away :oops:

You can get something from the doctor for that!

i hope the doctor is good with a needle because i think my sides have just split :roll:

So today I've phoned up to rent a garage for £12 per week

£12 per week? So £48 per month. Makes my 2 garages that I'm paying £50 a month (About £6.25 per garage, per week then :? ) seem rather cheap. Was speaking to the bloke who owns the Nova saloon a I drove a couple of days ago, he told me that he rents a garage for it at £10 per week.

That BL mat isn't a wing protector is it? Might know someone who'll bung ou a few quid for it anyway - get the pics up!

no, its about 5 ft long, and 2 ft wide, made of slightly padded blue vinyl, with "british leyland cars" text at the top. i will foto tomoz... :)

PM sent! :D

If that falls through can I be next in line?

My nextdoor neighbour has a tidy X reg Vectra 1.8 Auto Artic Estate with something like 80k on the clock, last week he got towed home by the AA, i asked what was wrong and he said that it cut out and the AA man told him that the cambelt had snapped.

I was just talking to his son who i also work with who's just said he's got to run it down the scrappy on Saturday, they can't be bother to get it fixed, they haven't even bother to look to see what's broke on it, what a waste, I'm half tempted to offer them £150 for it myself!

I know what you mean trigger. I hate seeing cars scrapped like that even shit ones.

There's a wee Ka at the garage where I rent my lockup that's heading for the bin. It needs the handbrake sorted, rear pads and a patch of welding. It's a bit rough like (it is a KA) but the girl who's got it's had it an age and is just gonna bin it because I guess she thinks it's not worth the effort (it probably isn't). Even though it had no real redeamable features everytime I see it I feel like I need to buy it just to save it from getting squished.