The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Young whippersnapper! back in the old days the lenses were yellow. Coloured bulbs were an 80s invention.

Not true! French cars have never had painted lenses to the best of my knowledge. Lenses were only painted by Brits heading over there when only yellow lamps were legal. I reckon yellow halogens only became available in the 1980s but yellow bulbs (or bulb caps) have been around a lot longer.

Looking into it a bit more, I concede that some French cars may have had yellow lenses, but the vast majority used a yellow bulb or a bulb cap I reckon. That's what gives that very French yellow-but-white sort of look, as in the headlamp (not the foglamp) of this Renner 16.

Grey67-4.jpg

Young whippersnapper! back in the old days the lenses were yellow. Coloured bulbs were an 80s invention.

Not true! French cars have never had painted lenses to the best of my knowledge. Lenses were only painted by Brits heading over there when only yellow lamps were legal. I reckon yellow halogens only became available in the 1980s but yellow bulbs (or bulb caps) have been around a lot longer.

Looking into it a bit more, I concede that some French cars may have had yellow lenses, but the vast majority used a yellow bulb or a bulb cap I reckon. That's what gives that very French yellow-but-white sort of look, as in the headlamp (not the foglamp) of this Renner 16.

Grey67-4.jpg

I rented a BX in Grenoble in 1993 - it had painted lenses which was unusual. The painted lenses were usually on early sealed beam headlights were there is no 'bulb' (like the lucas ones on the old Sherpa etc.) so there is nowt to paint.

I remember a trip to France in the 1980s when the old boy merely suck beam blanker on the Volvo 240 - the cheeseatingsurrendermonkies had recently permitted cars to be driven with white lights.

In 70's middle class Edinburgh, paint your headlights yellow was a 'Hyacinth Bucket' way of letting everyone know you went to Brittany for your hols whilst they were going to Weyms Bay or Largs

No point in buying a decent one if you can get something this shit...

picassorearaaaa.jpg

picassoside.jpg

Oh well, I've not used my dent puller yet so it should be good practising ground if nowt else. I wonder if these cars are actually as dismal as some people say or they're just a half decent runabout?

I'll let you know on Saturday.

Aye, but I don't think any more holes will matter too much :lol: Plus I can always place a covert* GB sticker over them. Or something like that. Depending on cost I may just blob on down to the scrappy and see if they have the panels in the same colour, though I may as well try and bash the dents out and see what happens. One wheel arch has had an argument with something so can't be (arsed) replacing that.

Happily I think there's more damage than can be seen too, front bumper is a bit twatted and he mentioned something about one of the rear quarters. Oh, and either the ABS or the airbag light is on too.

ha ha that Citroen''s awful. Great work!

I think the door's a goner but you might be able to pull the boot dent out a bit but it'll probably snag on that swage line.

Have you got one of those sucker dent puller things? That''ll probably be the best best for that. dent.

There's got to be plenty of these in the scrappies now fro you to plunder for panels.

Have a suction cup one but it's only good on the flat part of the panels. I do have a rubber hammer or three though and one of those slide puller type dent removers so hopefully I can save some of the dented panels.

Well you've not really got anything to lose. I recon you'll get the sucker on that to pull that boot dent out or lever it out from the back.

From previous experience of ballsing it right up be gentle with the slide hammer as the hole the self tapper goes into tends to pucker up if you give the slide hammer the beans. You're supposed to weld them holes up but they can be covered with a bit of glen millar.

Once you've got the dents out you'll be fighting the birds off for a shot in the 'caso

I know recently there was one minicab firm in Morley (Leeds) with every car in their fleet with yellow painted headlamps.

I know this firm. About 5 year ago they had a burnt orange Marea weekend minicab that I used to see regularly when I used to go through Holbeck. It had the full yellow headlights. I thought they looked quite smart and gave me the idea of yellowing up the lights on my Brava.

I never did though :lol:

Whoops, the 80 has done it again. There I was excitedly watching the odometer click to 590 odd miles to see if I can squeeze 600 miles out of tank and that stupid warning light that looks like a choke emblem came on. Handily it was about 200 yards from the garage my lad works at so we got it towed there to see what they can do with it. Suspect dodgy crank sensor but we'll see what happens. I can't be too mad about it, the car owes me diddly squat!

Cavette - add more dents to make it symmetrical and tell everyone it came out of the factory like that as it's a special edition.
'Paris look'

:D:D:D

It's not as if pulling the dents out is going to make it a good looking car. Paint a little row of skulls under the driver's window and have done :mrgreen:

Been using the Iveco this evening (had to deliver my shitty old Chinese moped to the mate who's buying it off me) and decided to do a 0-60 run on the way home. It did it in 28.5 sec, which I didn't think was too bad considering I wasn't being road-tester brutal with it ('cos I don't dislike it enough to want to break it) - the last DI Transit I tried took 34 sec. I might have to try getting a figure for the Metrocab at the weekend, assuming I can find a long enough stretch of road. And at some point I need to find out exactly what the Rover of Doom will do, although I'm going to have to wait for the roads to dry out a bit before I unleash the full force of the tuning box. I still have a schoolboy fascination with 0-60 times for some reason. :?

Shite collection day has come earlier than planned. Massive train journey (19 minutes) planned plus 25 odd mile drive home in Britain's most dented motor. C U SOON CREW STN.

Fucking LOL, I've defo driven better things than one of these before. There's a an incredibly annoying rumble from somewhere, vendor reckons it's down to having a new driveshaft fitted and they ballsed something up. Quite probably the same garage that appear to have put some sort of oil or brake fluid in the header tank :roll: Runs ok (well, as well as one of these could I suppose) and myriad dents were expected as he told me about them.

Once the rumble has been sorted it shouldn't be too bad but it's honestly not a patch on the Zafira.

Full report L8RZ.

EDIT: Previous owner but one was Lord Austen Reginald Maudsley from Bridlington :shock::D

*Lord knows how you become a Lord in Bridlington, perhaps he owns a sea front B&B that accepts DHSS?

EDIT: Previous owner but one was Lord Austen Reginald Maudsley from Bridlington :shock::D

*Lord knows how you become a Lord in Bridlington, perhaps he owns a sea front B&B that accepts DHSS?

A descendant of the Reginald Maudsley who founded Standard Triumph? :shock:

Err, we'll come to that at a later date! The rumbling noise is fucking awful and needs looking into like yesterday. I also discovered the radio doesn't always turn off when the key is out. Panel work I'm not arsed about but there's a bleeding big list already including Vectra-esque missing dashboard pixels, airbag light on and clear out the header tank/flush coolant system through.

Sounds like it's bean tins waiting to happen!

Nipped into a friendly garage today for a play with the Rover's clutch. On bleeding it, bits of black stuff came out. No sign of leakage from the slave cylinder, so I think we've confirmed that the master cylinder is borked. Before I got the clutch looked at, I dropped my wife off in town. A few scary moments when I got stuck in gear thanks to the clutch not releasing! Seems better behaved after its bleed session, but I've already lost the pedal again once. This thing needs to head off to become someone else's project. Especially as I've spotted a rather delicious Mk1 Nissan Prairie for sale...

Spent most of the morning under the back of The Volvo flinging Vactan, Waxoyl and underseal around the underbody bits which most people never see, but which are quite important to the long-term well being of the car and my wallet. Will most likely be doing the same thing tomorrow, albeit at the front end :wink:

Observations:

I'm thankful that although old Volvos do rust, they do so far slower and less seriously than their contemporaries :D

Vactan takes an age to dry at this time of year :x

Original Source lime shower gel is GR9 for removing grease, Waxoyl and underseal from skin and hair ^^

I went in the garage last night and after much swearing and arsing about emerged a few hours later with an easy-starting, smooth-running and fully operational Fiat Croma. Took it for a little late night blezz up the lane and it drives great! Auto box is remarkably smooth. I reckon i’ll get it in for a test next weekend.

Been ringing round, and there seem's to be a bizarre reluctance to fabricate catalyst blanking pipes - is everyone really at the beck and call of VOSA "loose" 2012 regs? I even spoke to a local tester who was hoping somebody local got collard first by the ministry, just so there was a datum!

I know all cars fitted with a cat, must retain them, I also know diesels do not require cats! Albert!

Right-oh, my super duper ace mechanic son has cast an eye over the PickArseHole with me: wheel bearings are fine, drive shafts the same. He thinks the noise might be gearbox related but putting the car into gear with the hand brake on and slowly releasing the clutch didn't reveal anything.

However...we discovered the n/s/f plastic arch liner/engine protector (or at least one bit of it) was flapping about like a flappy about thing and there are signs the wheel been rubbing on it.

Removed the offending bit, took it for a run and the noise has all but disappeared. Now the car does feel a bit 'rough' but this might be how they are anyhow, so next plan is to get it over the ramps in the next couple of days for a better investigation and also to check the gearbox oil level. We'll also run the FCR up to it and see if throws anything up and (hopefully) knock out the abs or airbag light that comes on.

Got the clock set to the right time, knocked out the service light and twigged that (hopefully) the dimness of the dashboard is down to a bulb or two being out as opposed to knackered pixels. God knows what it's like getting the console out but we'll have a look.

Belled one scrap yard for a price on replacement panels in the same colour, fifty quid a door and seventy five rips for the tailgate so they can go suck donkey whang as it's not economically viable . Pretty confident we'll get a result with the dent puller, suction cup and a rubber hammer though. Famous last words I know but got sod all to lose.