The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

post-21417-0-71725900-1532361760_thumb.jpg

Lidl this afternoon. The MGB had a FTP, thought initially it was lack of fuel as the gauge is inaccurate and it was low. Quick look under bonnet and no fuel in the filter. Fuck, fuck fuck. Walked home (a mile) got the petrol can which had some in and jumped on Mrs BMHs push bike (she was out). Pour the half can of fuel in, crank over, no fuel. Remove fuel pump cover, hit with spanner try again. Fuck all.

Thought, air lock or crud. So I blew into the tank and petrol poured out of the side. Fuel line has perished. Shorten, refit, yipee. Quick look at rest and they have all gone again. Looks like it's an annual job now.

IMG_20180723_153555.jpg

Lidl this afternoon. The MGB had a FTP, thought initially it was lack of fuel as the gauge is inaccurate and it was low. Quick look under bonnet and no fuel in the filter. Fuck, fuck fuck. Walked home (a mile) got the petrol can which had some in and jumped on Mrs BMHs push bike (she was out). Pour the half can of fuel in, crank over, no fuel. Remove fuel pump cover, hit with spanner try again. Fuck all.

Thought, air lock or crud. So I blew into the tank and petrol poured out of the side. Fuel line has perished. Shorten, refit, yipee. Quick look at rest and they have all gone again. Looks like it's an annual job now.

Bugger. That sucks. What fuel line did you use?

Mine is supposed ethanol resistant stuff when I renewed all my lines. Bought it from Moss.

More MG wows, mine did not have quite enough electricity in the battery after being in store 8 months to start without a jump.

Then 6 miles home with no issues, and it felt good even if it is a worn out old thing.

Now it is going in the my garage for a check over and clean.

post-4787-0-34311600-1532369601_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-44632100-1532369619_thumb.jpg

attachicon.gif20180723_150907.jpg

attachicon.gif20180723_151029.jpg

Could fit bigger wheels at the rear now!

But seeing as the 1256cc pushrod lump has enough trouble pushing what it already has along,I'll leave well enough alone.

:mrgreen:

the first car i remember my dad having when a wee, wee nipper was a Viva HC estate like that, 

it was the one and only car that he used to keep in the garage!

hence i really lurve the Viva HC, so top motoring there, sir!

the first car i remember my dad having when a wee, wee nipper was a Viva HC estate like that, 

it was the one and only car that he used to keep in the garage!

hence i really lurve the Viva HC, so top motoring there, sir!

Thanks for sharing your memories.

I've always liked the HC,dunno why really.

Maybe it's the mini Pontiac looks.

Guest Hooli

Sunroofs are mostly really wank.  The rest are just wank.

Agreed, horrid things. They leak & are a pain in the arse in winter, too noisey to open or give you a sunburnt heat in summer.

Wonderful* invention.

Thanks for sharing your memories.

I've always liked the HC,dunno why really.

Maybe it's the mini Pontiac looks.

and a strip speedo, assuming its a cheap one!

i remember it taking me, my parents and my grand-parents off on holidays to Primrose Valley in Filley, with our luggage on the roof rack under a tarp!

the one tale i remember  dad telling about the Viva, one evening on the way home from work the wing mirrors which were on the wings seemed to be vibratging even more than usual. upon reaching one of the roundabouts on the Trunck Road, it stopped vibrating, and fell into the wing! by the time Dad got the car home, the other one had dropped into the wing aswell, the wings had rotted out around where the mirros were mounted.

a pair of cheap patten wings were put on the car, complete with a hasty rattle can blow over, and Dad ran the Viva for a couple more years before it was chopped in against a Marina.

and the main reason for the change was the arrival of my kid sister, and then needind a larger car.

no wonder me and our kid don't get on!!

About a year ago, I left a note on a local B11 Sunny Coupe.

I heard nothing for about 14 months, but today got an email out of the blue from the long term owner who is selling up.

I can't home it, which I'll have to tell them in due course, but wondered if anyone else was interested? No word on price but I'll try to get a vague idea in the coming days. It's not a show car, it's a bit weathered and in need of a refresh.

Knowing people on here though, I suspect someone may want it.

Drop me a PM if you are.

Replaced the fitting in my hydrolastic pump with a correct hydraulic fitting. This is a 1/4" BSPP male to 1/8" NPT female.

f212abb93287fed2cff29aa93895cb1d.jpg

Fits much better.

42a756e874faecc117ad88681c6a8fe5.jpg

Looks almost professional and designed for purpose!

9fcd739c0a1fc4b3720c9711248def8e.jpg

Also got my valve core remover tool. Extracted the valve core from the valve really easily. However I'm not entirely sure the spare is much better looking at the valve seat.

About a year ago, I left a note on a local B11 Sunny Coupe.

I heard nothing for about 14 months, but today got an email out of the blue from the long term owner who is selling up.

I can't home it, which I'll have to tell them in due course, but wondered if anyone else was interested? No word on price but I'll try to get a vague idea in the coming days. It's not a show car, it's a bit weathered and in need of a refresh.

Knowing people on here though, I suspect someone may want it.

Drop me a PM if you are.

Is it metallic blue? I like them in metallic blue.

Guest Hooli

I think it might actually be too hot for motorised velocopides.

It is as soon as it reaches 20c without cloud & a breeze.

Just checked my recovery and they allow 6 call outs in the year. The car is only a couple of miles away from home (if that) so am going to see if I can convince someone to drag it up the hill for me (or allow me to drag them in it), rather than waste a call out that I might need.

I didn't need any at all last year but sods law is that I would be rueing using them on this in 9 months time as I am sat at the side of the road in Wales or something with a puddle of  coolant flowing down the road away from my car.

Car was recovered manually tonight. Still wouldn't start. Fuel filter on order.

Took my mate who was in Meg when I towed it up the hill for a pint afterwards and bumped into JohnF so talked shite about cars for a bit too so win win.