The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

19 minutes ago, vulgalour said:

Handy of them to install a wine rack right behind the driver's door there.

that's the continentals for you.

Look at the fucking state of my mate's car. This was done by a national chain of garages...

20231101_144930.jpg

1 hour ago, Cavcraft said:

Look at the fucking state of my mate's car. This was done by a national chain of garages...

20231101_144930.jpg

What part of the car is it? Cant make any sense of it.

Prior to getting the insignia I got other half to message a seller getting rid of an e61 - I made them an offer. There was no reply.

Same car now on ebay for what I offered.

You can't help people.

1 hour ago, bobdisk said:

What part of the car is it? Cant make any sense of it.

Rocker cover bolt.

Storm Ciarán - Keep safe folks...this appears mostly in the South.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-67271027

Amber warning of wind issued for South West England 03:00 GMT to 11:00 Thursday, and East of England and South East 06:00 to 17:00 Thursday as the storm moves East. 

English Channel going to be especially bad. I've put off a trip I was making tomorrow cus when the ferries which aren't cancelled can't get into port - a few hours riding the storm will be very unpleasant.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, lesapandre said:

Amber warning of wind issued for South West England 03:00 GMT to 11:00 Thursday, and East of England and South East 06:00 to 17:00 Thursday as the storm moves East. 

English Channel going to be especially bad. I've put off a trip I was making tomorrow cus when the ferries which aren't cancelled can't get into port - a few hours riding the storm will be very unpleasant.

It's complete wheater chaos here. We have had about 30 cm of snow so far this week and maybe another 20 cm tomorrow and then it will probably change to heavy rain, but it can also come as snow. If the precipitation that is reported as rain comes as snow, I will get a meter of snow in the next few days, but if it comes as rain, it won't be good either.

The weather is crazy these days, before it used to be stably cold here, but now it can suddenly change to plus degrees and rain and then it freezes again.

The traffic has also been bad this week as people are getting worse and worse at driving and that alot are still driving on summer tyres. There have been many accidents and the police have confiscated many driving licenses because of summer tyres. So one should not drive in such conditions. I miss summer already.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, lesapandre said:

Well aren't I glad that I'm driving from Somerset to Northumberland tomorrow morning :(

5 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

Delivery today, anyone guess what it is?

IMG_0797.jpeg

Cover for Parcel shelf? if this is the correct name for the shelf by the rear window in the car?

9 minutes ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

Cover for Parcel shelf? if this is the correct name for the shelf by the rear window in the car?

Got it in one. Or in the case of the 2cv, it IS the parcel shelf.

replacing my 1990s home made plywood shelf with blaupunkt speakers as I have moved to a sound bar after the radio died.

if anyone with a 2cv ( @brownnova) wants a plywood shelf with speakers and potentially all the wiring ( depending on how Saturday goes) do let me know.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Cookiesouwest said:

Well aren't I glad that I'm driving from Somerset to Northumberland tomorrow morning :(

You may just miss the worst of it...but still plenty of following wind I expect. All the best.

Screenshot_20231101_204724_Chrome.jpg.ef77eba7d9b8c6918e4279abf1738707.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, lesapandre said:

Yup, getting windy here already, hatches are battened down.

• Agree 2

The circus season has ended. Well for me it has. I'm not doing the 4 weeks in Holland in December or the 2 weeks in Glasgow in February. Too effin cold for my poor old bones. The ferry trip back from Hoek yesterday afternoon /evening was a bit up and down and driving from Harwich to Sittingbourne, where I am now, was mostly at 45mph because of the wind. Nearly blew my rig onto the verge on more than one occasion and the  Dartford bridge was interesting*. 

30 minutes ago, Wilko220 said:

This is a new one on me. Think I'll probably manage without tbh.

https://www.national.co.uk/windscreen-treatment

I've used something similar on a few cars   - ombrello.

2 x OMBRELLO GLASS TREATMENT RAIN REPELLANT W/SCREEN AQUAPEL | eBay

On the CX with the slightly curved screen you could drive on the motorway in pouring rain and not need to use the wiper.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

I've used something similar on a few cars   - ombrello.

2 x OMBRELLO GLASS TREATMENT RAIN REPELLANT W/SCREEN AQUAPEL | eBay

On the CX with the slightly curved screen you could drive on the motorway in pouring rain and not need to use the wiper.

I've used rainX on quite a few of my cars, it has the interesting effect that the faster you drive the better you can see. Watching rain flow steadily and quickly upward on the screen is also somewhat hypnotic.