The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

The TT is leaking brake fluid AGAIN.

It's from the same place as before which I can't understand as it had new pipes and flexis both sides. Hopefully something just needs nipped up.

I'll need to make a concerted effort to sell the SLK so I can get my wife something 'normal' even just as a stop-gap as this won't do. Having a lump of metal adding to my already poor mental state is senseless and unnecessary. 

1 hour ago, lesapandre said:

And people wonder why people drive tough 4x4...

Speak for yourself, the battery leads pop off the terminals when I hit a pothole in my Discovery 3 and I have to pull over and put them back on again 🤣

53 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

get my wife something 'normal' even just as a stop-gap as this won't do

When stuff like this happens and I need to fall back to something solidly reliable, my frankly bizarrely crazy mind goes.

HONDA HONDA HONDA

Or TOOOOYOTA 

Sung to the tune of badger badger mushroom. (Scarily some on here will be too young to remember this first circulating the internet)

Just not one from the Scottish rust belt please.

21 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

I did that before and ended up with the famous* Civic with the non opening boot 😂

But yes, this absolutely.

Scottish car though 😉

I know not everyone does on here but I really rate the spaceship Civics. However even the newest are coming up to 12 years old and the oldest are 18 years old now. 

They unfortunately have the problem that "its a Honda so it's reliable plus it's a cheap car" mentality (same with Toyota) often presides. So maintenance and repairs get skipped until it's fit for scrap. 

It's why we ended dishing out for a 2015 car 2 years ago as that age was more likely to have been looked after. The Civic Mk9 came out in 2012 and so is over 10yrs old already...

Just quite expensive still. There is also the Auris which can be had reasonably priced and a naturally aspirated engine is probably the one to go for if you don't want hassle.

Alternatively the Seat Ibiza can be had reasonably - much more so than the equivalent aged Fabia and Polo. The petrol 1.4 engine is certainly no power house but it's frugal (I got 45+ mpg easily out of the one in my Fabia MK1). The 1.6 petrol is also a solid unit and has a bit more power. You can pick a 2009 up for under £2k around here quite easily. Even 2012/13 cars are sub 3k.

Or of course a just as boring and solid Focus Mk2/Astra H are cheap as chips while being relatively sturdy.

Always good to have one simple reliable car on the fleet if owning other temperament ornaments imo

58 minutes ago, SiC said:

Sung to the tune of badger badger mushroom. (Scarily some on here will be too young to remember this first circulating the internet)

I now work with competent, qualified professional adults who have no experience or understanding of a world without broadband internet and smartphones.

I'm getting old.

Google Fu has solved this. I though the oil looked fresh.  The breather pipe for the Haldex unit lives up there and it can leak a little oil if it has been slightly overfilled. It's weird that I had the unit serviced back in May or June and it's only just doing it now but hey ho, nothing to worry about!

1 hour ago, Split_Pin said:

Google Fu has solved this. I though the oil looked fresh.  The breather pipe for the Haldex unit lives up there and it can leak a little oil if it has been slightly overfilled. It's weird that I had the unit serviced back in May or June and it's only just doing it now but hey ho, nothing to worry about!

Colder weather making the Haldex do more work as the tyres loose traction? I find I don't notice it kicking in when I'm driving except the fact that I am pulling out of a junction/etc quickly without having any of the wheels spinning and loosing traction. 

At least it's a minor problem that isn't a safety issue if it's just the Haldex spitting out some excess oil. 

2 hours ago, loserone said:

That doesn't sound like a healthy relationship to be honest mate.  

7/8 years ago I'd have said 'I wish', but now... She's only 11 years older than my daughter, it's just wierd! 

I'm amazed she hasn't been fired yet, she's constantly on her phone and being line 1 and 2 fuck-up support have fixed a few bits of her work... Maybe my standard are higher than the rest of the department nowadays 

Sat for a boring half hour in the Renault/Suzuki/Dacia dealership waiting for my wife’s Duster to be (complementary) valeted after it’s MOT: overheard service rep on the phone:

“ it needs a new starter motor - engine has to be dropped which is a big job, 10 to 12 hours so we will need the car for two days”

What kind of madness is this?

6 hours ago, SiC said:

When stuff like this happens and I need to fall back to something solidly reliable, my frankly bizarrely crazy mind goes.

HONDA HONDA HONDA

Or TOOOOYOTA 

Just not one from the Scottish rust belt please.

It's been 20 years!

Now I feel old too.

20 minutes ago, lesapandre said:

Media absurdity: Subaru, Porsche and BMW drivers are more dangerous than Skoda or Hyundai...

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/nov/11/bmw-subaru-and-porsche-drivers-more-likely-to-cause-a-crash-study-finds

'Researchers hypothesised' 😂

'2011-2015 data examined' 😂

Fiction peppered with out-of-context anecdotes from through the years.

As you say, absurd.