What

Tamworthbay

These were pure Japanese before Nissan became infected with Renault...?

Pure Japanese built in Sunderland.

Superb handling and great fun to drive,

Excellent straightforward chain cam engines.

Great economy (I get 35 knocking around and more like 40 on a run).

Downsides? They can rust (particularly back of the sills and inner rear wings). Some interior fabrics 'challenging'. Old giffer image.

I’d say don’t buy anything. It’s just possible it might go wrong.

Id say spend £1000-1500 on something tidy that’s petrol, hopefully with a few recent bills showing it’s had something in the way of a service in the last few years. Ignore all these old nails just wanting a clutch or whatever, unless you want to piss money at something that wasn’t too clever before it went wrong. Something at £1200-1500 shouldn’t be needing anything major doing on it. I’d say something like a late Vectra 1.8, Mondeo 2.0 or an Avensis if you can find one that’s not cabbed or drinking oil.

The Avensis will be totes reliable, but so boring that if you circumnavigated the globe three times non-stop in it, then parked it in an empty car park, you’d never find it again.

Avensis are a lovely car but for £500 it would have to be a MK1 really as that money for a mk2 would be really pushing it. A grand would be a different story but for £500, the veccy b is a great option, they do seem to be really good old girls. I'd avoid the Mondeo mk3 personally despite loving my fords, a MK1/2 would be a great option though, they will go on forever (rust apart).

Also, these type of cars go for about £5 at the auctions and aren't always totally shafted, maybe an option?

Also, I've been using a vag product for almost a year now and despite a few silly faults it's been awesome, the only Biggie was a failed engine mount bolt that did cause a failed driveshaft and a few other bits so check all those first if you do buy one.

Mines a seat Leon TDI, loads about for £6/700, high miles for less, do you a good turn.

Skoda Octavia should be available for that money.b5 Passat's are very good cars, the 5.5 is good in general but seem far more abused than the earlier ones, which being at least 16 years old now imo means it must have undergone a decent amount of maintenance over the years to keep going that long which, with vw particularly, is more important than low miles but no history.

That black one at £495 sounds a bit more like it than that nail at £175. Couple of hundred more and you are sitting in something with a fighting chance of seeing the winter out.

Wouldn’t go as far as to say the Vectra B is unburstable, pretty unfortunate inside they are and not especially pleasant to drive. But as a means of transport for £4-500 they’re good.

I’d say don’t buy anything. It’s just possible it might go wrong.

Id say spend £1000-1500 on something tidy that’s petrol, hopefully with a few recent bills showing it’s had something in the way of a service in the last few years. Ignore all these old nails just wanting a clutch or whatever, unless you want to piss money at something that wasn’t too clever before it went wrong. Something at £1200-1500 shouldn’t be needing anything major doing on it. I’d say something like a late Vectra 1.8, Mondeo 2.0 or an Avensis if you can find one that’s not cabbed or drinking oil.

£1000-1500 you say might I suggest:

http://autoshite.com/topic/30017-hyundai-tucson-for-sale/

Plenty of service history, fully serviced less than 500 miles ago.

;)

So in new year I will be hopefully, looking for a Dizzel auto, as my knee has cried 'Enough'..

Looking at either a Mondeo Mk3 auto 130ps, or the Mondog 'luxury' X type 2.2d

any experience of Xtype on here??

Owned a MK3 dizzel and loved it, but that was manual..actually the longest owned vehicle in my Life, 2 years..

If not either of them, anything else I could look for .. prefer sub £1000 and not horrendous on the old Insurance

Ta 

I’d avoid most X types at this money as they rot horrendously behind the sill covers. If you can see bubbles, it’s had it.

Mondeo diesels autos are few and far between.

I’d exercise caution with old Mondeo diesels, I would go for something that runs smooth and doesn’t chuck loads of clag out, then look to pay no more than you could afford to lose.

Main shit you are looking at are

Injector failure - beware anything that’s had recent used injectors fitted or been recalibrated. That’s usually needed when wear in the injectors has fell out of spec.

DMF failure - usual clatter at idle and slipping under load

Turbo trouble - either glow plug light coming on under hard acceleration as a result of the actuator effectively baking it self. Cannot be replaced separately either as it’s mated to the turbo.

Any of the above will write the car off.

Other problems can be EGR, cam sensor, crank sensor which are fairly easily sorted. Also rear bearings go and the rear calipers WILL seize at some point but aren’t a difficult or expensive job to swap.

Verdict, I would but pick wisely and don’t get into throwing cash at it. Sign of serious trouble... bin it off.