What

Tamworthbay

Soz, it's a tyre.

Truckasaurus Rex(ton) needs some new boots. I forget what's on it now, but only three match and I suspect they are ancient and rock hard.

One of the rears is getting low on tread, and the old bus loves to get a bit of a Tokyo Drift on, if mildly provoked. #NotIdeal

It is also shite off road. I have had all four spinning in some laughably mild scenarios.

So, I always intended to replace the summer things with some sort of mud tyre that can still hack it on the road - for the low miles the car does - but will turn up when I want to go green laning or deal fairly well with the FOMGSNOKAOS that we are in for (and that started today) See attached:

37862725175_873aa57fed_k.jpg2017-11-30_08-00-19 by Liam Waites, on Flickr

At £300ish for four 235/70/16's,and having read up a bit, I am very tempted.

Anyone running them?

Agree re. tyre noise on Insa Turbo Rangers, it's very noticeable.

I'd heard that General Grabber AT2 are no longer being sold in the UK (something to do with tyre noise legislation apparently) but I've just checked on their website & they're still listed. So meh.

They're still definitely available mail order through e.g. TyreLeader, though (https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres/general-tire/grabber-at2/235-70-r16-106t-447698).

They have the mountain / snowflake symbol so are OK for all-year use.

I've got General Grabber AT tyres on my Disco, they have a 50/50 road-offroad bias and last pretty well, but don't have the mountain / snowflake mark.

FWIW, General tyres tend to be cheaper than equivalent BF Goodrich products and I've not noticed any difference in performance between them.

I once had the use of a brand new 460 GLE , a 2.0 , I think and it was comfy and quite nice- in a straight line...

About an hour after starting a journey to mid-Wales, I was to be found kicking the hard plastic mudflaps off in a layby. The bloody things( front and back) scraped on the ground on every bend, making a horrible noise.

Some of this might* have been down to my enthusiastic* driving style , but mostly to the soggy bouncy suspension, Mrs N was actually travel sick for the only time in 35 years of enduring my driving.

On the Monday morning I was never more happy to throw the keys on the Transport Manager's desk and retrieve my own company car, that paragon of handling , poise and perfect ride quality ( compared to a 460 anyway) my Belmont 1.8 CDi !

Renault engines, torquey, a little unrefined but seemingly bullet proof. My 1.8 8v 440 GL had 89hp.

Seats were okay - not Volvo's best - and it felt screwed together relatively solidly.

Basically, very dull, very good at being 'an car' with no particular strengths and no colossal weaknesses.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I don't dislike them, but they're not 'true Volvo's' really. They're more of a cheaper affordable step down from what Volvo were normally making and built their reputation on. Older people used to like them too!

They can suffer with electrical issues and they can also like fuck, especially around the back arches.

I can't comment on diesels, but the petrol's are the Renault engines and are pretty good really. I had a 1.7 version of this engine in my 340 and it went well enough and didn't really suffer any problems at all. From what I've heard the diesel is fine too though.

I'd have one if it were offered and I needed transport though.

I had a 460 in Si "sport" trim, with boot spoiler and factory tinted windows and everything.

£800 or so in about 2005. The 2L NA Renault engine was good and could probably (in my tiny tiny mind) keep up with GTIs in a straight line but, as mentioned above, MAN was it a boring car and corners were not it's forte. Build quality was a bit meh though the interior was comfy enough and it was quite well specced. Not a bad car by any stretch but you would be hard pressed to fall in love with it. 

Mine died when the cam belt failed and the cost of repair was quoted as £1k so off to the scrappy it went. 

Anybody had an experience of the 1.8 vectra?

As our diesel has commited suicide you would think we would not have another vectra.

Unfortunately I don't have money falling out of my arse and beggars can't be choosers. I would imagine they are somewhat underpowered and quite thirsty. Plus dear tax.

A low mileage petrol may be a better bet than a high mileage diesel, however if the right derv comes along I will consider it.

I had looked at 07 on Mondeo estate - they are a cracking car but perhaps not a good buy with 200k on the clock. A different matter if YOU have taken it up to that mileage.

At the moment old shape passat tdi ( up to 05) is favourite - last of the VW products before the incompetence set in. My dads died at 140 k through terminal gearbox failure. Plus, they seem to be less treated like white goods compared to Ford or GM products.

Bidding on our vec is just over £500 - whether it gets collected is another matter.

True but those Passat's have a few well known issues .

Water leaks from pollen filter / scuttle / door trims that flood the convienience control unit and rot wiring . Also fucks the side airbag sensors.

Alt clutch goes and takes out tensioner

Injector wiring loom fails

If the wrong oils used it wears the cams away.

12 ball joints on the front end ! There is always one buggered esp if you use cheap replacements.

Door locks made of brie.

Etc etc etc

True but those Passat's have a few well known issues .

Water leaks from pollen filter / scuttle / door trims that flood the convienience control unit and rot wiring . Also fucks the side airbag sensors.

Alt clutch goes and takes out tensioner

Injector wiring loom fails

If the wrong oils used it wears the cams away.

12 ball joints on the front end ! There is always one buggered esp if you use cheap replacements.

Door locks made of brie.

Etc etc etc

The one I had seemed to have all of the above happen at some point. Hated that car.