Truck Shite

quicksilver

On 5/21/2022 at 9:57 PM, sutty2006 said:

I bet they’re fun to drive! 

The oldest merc we see at our place is a 2002 Atego 18 tonner with 700k up it. Believe it or not, it’s nicer to drive than brand new mercs. 

It’s been in for it’s 6 weekly. Still beats the new shite we look after, even if it’s a tad rusty and parts are getting longer to order. (We don’t really stick parts for old stuff anymore). 

08C098F0-A2EE-443A-BFE5-6A8B2E3D76C6.thumb.jpeg.0fbd27b3632d08ace9df46f94a716279.jpeg

I was wrong about the kms! 

6C7FE06C-A87F-4728-AA8D-5D427CA6EE95.thumb.jpeg.4e6d8105366dfadc59a84c725424866c.jpeg

On 5/23/2022 at 7:31 PM, sutty2006 said:

It’s like the race to the moon. Merc have been itching to get the new electric truck on the market but it looks like Scania will beat them 🤣

This is the only way electric trucks will work, powered on the motorway then batteries for the final few miles, is there even anywhere to charge them up yet

catenary-siemens1.thumb.jpg.ba09cacbb92284e1b3d01940a928183c.jpg

44 minutes ago, Wack said:

This is the only way electric trucks will work, powered on the motorway then batteries for the final few miles, is there even anywhere to charge them up yet

Step back just over 100 years and people came up with the idea of powering buses using a pair of overhead cables. That lasted until 1972, I wonder what old idea will turn up next.

10 minutes ago, busmansholiday said:

Step back just over 100 years and people came up with the idea of powering buses using a pair of overhead cables. That lasted until 1972, I wonder what old idea will turn up next.

Steam. 

Use electric power from the overhead cables to produce electricity to heat a kettle, producing steam to power a push rod crank.  

Ensure you have enough steam to drive to the next cable. 

28 minutes ago, busmansholiday said:

Still very much a thing on the continent.

Salzburg's latest is the HESS trolley bus which is powered by both the overhead lines and on-board batteries to allow it to operate away from them. I wonder if they could do the same with delivery lorries within towns (assuming you have the overhead lines...).

https://www.urban-transport-magazine.com/en/salzburg-the-new-hess-battery-trolleybuses/

image.png.3f996a7049a203503b3112b4caed2b6f.png

On the wires, and...

image.png.b7f98886091f54d4e8891ae04c121386.png

off the wires.

13 hours ago, Wack said:

So why not put the freight on the railways for long distance haulage and use batteries to the delivery destination.?

FFS put a few together and that’s a train any way.

On 5/29/2022 at 4:33 AM, Metal Guru said:

So why not put the freight on the railways for long distance haulage and use batteries to the delivery destination.?

FFS put a few together and that’s a train any way.

That was how it was decades ago, now it’s all about just in time deliveries and how the supply chains work today, business expects to place an order today and get it delivered tomorrow, it’s only road transport that can do this.

4 hours ago, bigstraight6 said:

That was how it was decades ago, now it’s all about just in time deliveries and how the supply chains work today, business expects to place an order today and get it delivered tomorrow, it’s only road transport that can do this.

Yes but most the stuff has been on a boat from China for the last 6 weeks , surely 1 day extra by rail rather than road isn’t a deal breaker.

Ive worked with just in time systems, it’s a substitute for poor management, effectively passing any organisation on to your supplier.

17 hours ago, Metal Guru said:

Yes but most the stuff has been on a boat from China for the last 6 weeks , surely 1 day extra by rail rather than road isn’t a deal breaker.

Ive worked with just in time systems, it’s a substitute for poor management, effectively passing any organisation on to your supplier.

The rail network can barely cope with what’s on it now in some parts of the country let alone adding more traffic,  and so much of the goods handling parts of the system are long gone,  I would love to see more freight by rail but I just can’t see it happening…

That's a lot of the reason for HS2, it's a big bypass to get the fastest trains off the busiest bit of the network to give space for slower commuter trains and freight.

More infrastructure would obviously be required but who's to say what that is yet?  A lot of trucks are full of wheeled trolleys which could be unloaded onto passenger platforms overnight and into suitable wagons.

44 minutes ago, sutty2006 said:

I think you’re right. Only thing I can’t match is that round horn cover? looking think on the right front side..

B27FBAD3-221A-4EAC-BBA6-C7F4011ED0CF.jpeg

D38E0058-F5C3-48AC-B9BB-7C4F5C717B9E.png

Karriers don't have an access flap for the radiator cap either!

9 hours ago, primeradoner said:

Its not a commer or a karrier . Its a Fordson . My father had one  in the early 60s. I think that the cab was borrowed from the rootes group mind

We have a winner. Well done sir. The cabs are very similar but with subtle differences this one in question has to be the Fordson Thames circa early 50s

5C3D1BB2-8C83-471B-A548-17236EE05A4D.jpeg

What about this beauty still working for a living in Rawtenstall next town on from me. Manserghs has never looked any different in the last 40 years I've been alive. We have one of these at work that I use as our shunter to move work around the site. Ours is on an 04 plate with twin rear axles and the 420 big block for raw power (and a lot of smoke as the turbo oil seals are fucked).

20220607_142538.thumb.jpg.93f047e3164cb2365ab41cf737e96037.jpg

I don't suppose there are any Hgv licence holders who would like to drive circus shite is there ? Vacancy to try a Peterbilt, Kenworth and various other shite. Weekend work and quite long hours for a couple of days but no tacho or driving hours adhered to. Showman shite innit. I've no idea what the pay is but for example I will come out the end of September with about 7 bags under the mattress.

9 hours ago, puddlethumper said:

I don't suppose there are any Hgv licence holders who would like to drive circus shite is there ? Vacancy to try a Peterbilt, Kenworth and various other shite. Weekend work and quite long hours for a couple of days but no tacho or driving hours adhered to. Showman shite innit. I've no idea what the pay is but for example I will come out the end of September with about 7 bags under the mattress.

What's the requirements around DCPC and so on? Mine's expired, but my licence etc., is still valid. I enjoyed various forays into the rock'n'roll/festival circuit much more than general haulage, so it might be something I'd be interested in.