Cavalier (Mk3) Attitude - MoT result

RobT

As said, 20NE (8v) is a total peach, powerful, reliable and good on fuel (like all Vauxhalls were at that age.. :-()

The 16v engines were good, I remember being thoroughly impressed by the GSi; the 20XE really is as much fun as the illiterate ebay ads suggest.  The 2.0 Ecotec arrived in '94 and was basically a test run for the Vectra installation.  They were criticised when new but in reality, the Eco was quiet, reliable and better on fuel.  It was around 15bhp down on the 20XE.  The Eco suffered from silly faults like cam/ crank sensor failure, which is why people didn't think it was as good as the 20XE.... who would have thought, 20yrs on, all the current crop suffer from similar failures (which are simply accepted these days  :evil:).

'LET' is normally used to describe the C20LET engine, the turbocharged version of the 20XE fitted to the Calibra and Cavalier Turbo.

C25XE was the code for the Cavalier's V6- it is a lovely engine with no major faults apart from oil cooler failure which then gives most alarming OMGHGF emulsified oil.  

Fact. Replacing wiper blades on early ones is a real ball-ache as someone seemed to forget that the bonnet gets in the way, stopping you from being able to lift the arms. 

Fact. As a 12-year old, I tested the safety feature I'd read about on the electric windows. If they encounter an object, they stop and jump back. I stupidly tested this with my fingers. Thankfully, it worked! That was a H-reg 1.6L saloon, so must have been tricked up a bit. Really nice cars. I must own one.

I really like them, I got offered a grey mint N reg Cavalier 2.0 SRI 8v saloon once for £300 but turned it down as it had no mot and it had sat unused for a few months outside my in laws (it was my sister in laws ex boyfriends car that she had lent him the money for and then they had split up) turned out it still had 6 months to run and the paper was in the boot!.

All the models were a nice drive, the 1.7TD GLS was a lovely motor and I also remember working on a K plate 2.0 Diplomat once and that was the height of luxury at the time with all the leather and wood.

did someone say Mk3 Cav??

I bought this one last May, to be honest I was a bit sceptical after that fantastic Bluebird I had but 7 months later and touch wood all is fine. I even used it to do a 500 mile round trip to the NEC, my parents and back in 3 days last November and it was great.

It's 'only' a 1.8 spi but it far quicker than it deserves to be, quiet and smooth with very light power steering that my Mrs loves.

It did start missing a little bit a low speeds a few weeks back, the Cavmk3 forum said check the egr and another bloke said blank it off, I just pulled the black pipe off, stuck a nail in the end and now it is right as rain.

971712_10151435761647826_94491681_n.jpg384705_10151435761362826_1631662977_n.jp

The dusty parts of my mind recall something about early 16valve heads being porous leading to water and oil mixing and there was something about the ecotec engines having a lot less power than the red tops.

I am sure someone will be able to clear this random recollection up, but as long as you stick to a 2.0 8v you should be fine...

Allegedly, later GM built heads did go porous, but the earlier Cosworth 'Coscast' heads didn't. It didn't make any difference as it didn't affect the performance or reliability I always had that emulsified oil/water under the cap, but not a lot. Again, the whole 'porous' thing came off the internet, so is probably bollox.

Ecotecs had a completely different head, but the bottom end was the same (you can even use the same head gaskets). Also 8v's were similar block, if not identical, to the 16v engines.

Anyone who has owned a VX with an 8v knows how unbreakable they are - they have their detractors, but the Isuzu C17, the C20XE and C14Se - C20NE/SEH engines were amazing (even the oil cap was metal) and the later ones (Z20 engines) are cheaply produced with plastic components.

I'd love an early Astra mk SRi, CD or Si, or any early Cavalier/Calibra. They're brilliant cars and poo all over VW in terms of reliability and performance.

This has given me loads to go on, thanks lads.  Autoshite Buyers Guide FTW!  There's a V6 on ebay at the moment that looks tempting, but I might stick with the 2.0 8v option as LET sounds just the ticket.  I'll go and look at a few and make a considered purchase for a change.  I thought of a Carlton but I don't really need a car that big and a Cav would fit in the garage easier.

The porous bit was from the C20XE (red top) and was true. The cure (I met the lads who invented the repair) was to cut the head open and weld a pipe in. Supposedly as Station says it didn't effect the Coscast ones, so everyone just said that's what their's was when they cam to sell it.

Regarding the 1.4 mentioned above my guess is one wrong digit entered and that's a MK3 Astra.

By the way, the 2.0 Ecotec engine was no slouch, even the Omega with that lump couldn't half shift. I much prefer the Cav to the Carlton, the engines in the former being far punchier than the latter, plus they were nicer to drive when bombing round.

The X16XEL (1.6 16V) found in later Vauxhalls was a decent old engine too, and seems more reliable than the 1.8 version.

There was another rival for the 2.0 8V though, and that was the 1.8 8V as fitted to the MK2 Cavalier SRi. With that close ratio box they had they were a right old laugh to drive. Until you took a corner at least, but that wasn't the fault of the engine!

I did 40,000 miles in an lpg converted Calibra 2.0 8 valve and it was the cheapest most reliable motoring I've had thus far. Car was ten years old but gave me no problems whatsoever in all those miles, and fuel was then 39p a litre.

Happy days indeed.

Gave the car to my then girlfriend who then broke down in it every time she took it out though.

My grand-dad (83 years old) bought an Opel Vectra A 1.8i GLS new in 1991 and owns it until now. He´s only done ~ 70.000 miles in it and had it always garaged. He is driving it all year though so it needed new rear-arches and some welding on the undercarriage some years ago, but he is very happy with it and that´s all that matters. That´s his Vectra A with winter-tires:

vectra1.jpg

vectra2.jpg

Lukas

I've always had a soft spot for cavs, would happily run one in the 1.7 izuzu guise! 

Back in 1998ish I got driven to secondary school by someones mum (who picked us all up for petrol money) in an L reg blue one (no idea about anything else). Always remember it being pretty comfy tbh!

The old "red top" was the best engine, however GSi projects now go for £500 - 1000, many of them have been broken for their motors.

The only way they are inferior to the sierra is the driving experience, to a degree the cav is handicapped by its FWD set up. However I would say in other respects it is much better than the sierra.

I sold my MK2 to my brother who get rid 18 months later in 1996 - the car had over 140 k on the clock and was 12 years old. It still had it's original camshaft and sills - something difficult to achieve on a sierra.

I had a K reg 1.6 expression.I bought from a neighbour for £200  around 2003 with around 122k miles.

It looked like this

Kregcavalierexpression_zpsde325e10.jpg

Not the car but almost.I ran it for around 9 months and sold it for £350ish.

On the autotrader this is very nice

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201308018109738/sort/default/usedcars/radius/200/quicksearch/true/model/cavalier/page/1/make/vauxhall/postcode/dh23hx/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew?logcode=p

Were these built on Cavalier's? and only £399

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201311029629554/sort/default/usedcars/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/page/1/quicksearch/true/radius/1501/postcode/dh23hx/model/espero/make/daewoo?logcode=p

Cavalier Vrs Sierra   like for like same year & model was an odd one as everything that was wrong with the Cavalier was right with The Sierra and vice versa 

Only answer really is own one of each 

You could buy a  good Cavalier now for the price of a typical MOT fail on a post 2000 car

but as long as its belted oiled and watered will out live most  repmobiles built after 1995 

How much of this Vauxhall engine advice translates to Daewoos?  When they were launched in the UK much was made of all their engineering being Vauxhall, I'm wondering just how much overlap there really is.

The Nexia was based completely on the mk2 Astra (body, chassis, etc) - you can swap the engines over and everything, but they were built with cheaper components than it's 10 year old donor. Interiors are really not pleasant.

The Lanos was supposedly based on the Astra mk3, but engine bay looks 10% similar (think it only had the subframe/suspension/mounts) and has GM engines.

1701430007_large.jpg

People have put XE's and Saab engines in these.

I've had two, driven countless others; still got my first with the 20SEH engine (130bhp) and as Cav says, definately pick of the bunch; the second was a 1.8i 8v on an N which was also pretty damn good bar a clutch that was so heavy it wore out my shoes and buggered my left knee. They're absolutely ace and if a decent one came up I'd be all over it.

Mk3 Cavaliers ARE the bollocks.

DUGONG_FATHER had one new as a company car in 1991 - I think it was a 1.8 GL. Clutch pedal went 'HWWWARRRP' every time a gear change was needed. 

lOGjgYF.jpg

It was a bit of a disaster to start with. The wheels wobbled over 60mph, the alarm went off constantly and the bonnet was shotblasted by a delivery driver who caned it up the M60 over the ton. 
After everything was fixed it could not be killed. DUGONG_FATHER bought it from the leasing company and sold it on to a friend when it had something like 200k. Said mate was involved in a horrendous accident in it several months later when a lorry hit him up the backside and more or less tore the car in half. He walked out unscathed and apparently it still started and crabbed on to the recovery trailer. Seriously, had it been bangered that damn thing would have destroyed everything in sight and then started on the gantry because it said ALL VOXALLS WER SHIT. 

I think it wanted to atone for its early sins. It remains the hardest car ever owned by a family member. 

This would be my ideal, great colour and wheel combination, although something this mint is probably beyond my budget.  Just tried to register on the mk3 Cavalier forum but kept getting the anti-spammers code wrong - those things are all well and good but crap if you can't actually read them...

post-5013-0-61178100-1389371696_thumb.jpg