Cavalier (Mk3) Attitude - MoT result

RobT

My mistake was to over tighten last time, so much so that one of the bolts sheared off...and it's still in there. But it doesn't leak from that bit, which might indicate I over tightened the whole lot last time.

I have the H reg booked for an MOT,it's been off the road since 2013. It will be pressed into daily driver use and the l reg can spend a few years being cleaned up and derusted and painted underneath

That shot really does remind me how much I prefer the pre-facelift snout. I'm the other way with the Mk2. They got better and better.

I have the H reg booked for an MOT,it's been off the road since 2013. It will be pressed into daily driver use and the l reg can spend a few years being cleaned up and derusted and painted underneath

Like x100000. I need a pre-facelift CD in my life. Just need some money first...

Good idea. Find a 1.4 base for extra giggles.

I had a 1993 Astra 1.4i (Hi-Torq) estate and it was totally brilliant, so powerful for such a small engine and 40mpg, looks like its dead now  :-( . Excellent advice.

Registration number: K68AOM

• Vehicle makeVAUXHALL
  • Vehicle modelASTRA
  • Date first used6 May 1993
  • Fuel typePetrol
  • ColourRed

MOT history of this vehicle  
  • Test date10 May 2007
  • Expiry date24 May 2008
  • Test ResultPass
  • Odometer reading153,669 miles
  • MOT test number5232 1033 7134

Looks a good car Rob.  Hope the rad change is as easy as on an Astra.  If the oil leak is persistent, suggest you check that the breathers are all clear.  On my wife's Zafira, 1.8 petrol/lpg, the second breather exits through a tiny hole in the inlet which has to be unblocked with a tiny drill.  Once done, oil leaks miraculously stop. 

Trust all well with you Rob.

JohnK tried repeatedly to sell me a 1.8 saloon with a tired engine over the weekend. It's my 30th in two weeks... may have to work on WIFE_CMS a bit.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Just need to phrase it as the Baby Jesus (V40) replacement and as a bonus the old Sri will go when the shell is stripped.

Basically a 1 in 2 out deal, who wouldn't go for a deal like this!

I will deny all knowledge of this if asked in person :)

Just need to phrase it as the Baby Jesus (V40) replacement and as a bonus the old Sri will go when the shell is stripped.

Basically a 1 in 2 out deal, who wouldn't go for a deal like this!

I will deny all knowledge of this if asked in person :)

Ahhh now Mr Tickman, my cars are old but my technology* is new. Ish.

16dbcc8faa2651535eeef3cf8fc4f568.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Cavalier are for winners! Fact. 

Glad to see a few Cavaliers on AS finally got mine back on the road last week though still requires some paintwork now. 

phone%20pics%2010752_zpsu4zwxemy.jpg

Also mine needs the rocker gasket again for the 4th time in nearly 9 years and 75,000 miles but can't ever get them to last more than 5 minutes. Am really reluctant to touch mine though as I'm worried about the bolts snapping too with age.

Looks a good car Rob.  Hope the rad change is as easy as on an Astra.  If the oil leak is persistent, suggest you check that the breathers are all clear.  On my wife's Zafira, 1.8 petrol/lpg, the second breather exits through a tiny hole in the inlet which has to be unblocked with a tiny drill.  Once done, oil leaks miraculously stop. 

Trust all well with you Rob.

Photos flatter it!  Rear arches are gone and it's a bit rough generally, but then it's parked on a busy road and has to suffer the rigours of Mrs T driving it so I can't be too precious.

Rad change was easy in the end, but I reckon you're right on the breathers Jon.  Will take a look at some point.

I can't think of a better 30th birthday present than a knack'd Cav.  I also think the saloons are real lookers (I may be on my own with that thought though).

I nearly bought a saloon in 2015 same as this one in rembrandt silver.  The guy still has it and is local, so in a weak moment I might contact him again....having the hatch is handy though as only last week I used it to collect a chest of drawers.  It really does swallow up a fair old load.

post-5013-0-20963300-1488814409_thumb.jpg

Pre-facelift H plated Cavalier CD?

Awesome. It looks like it is in good order in that pic.

Very much a 1990 colour too - Dad had a 1990 Ford Orion in 'Magenta' which was the Ford equivalent colour.

Yep 2.0 cdi just got through the mot but the sills are rusting on the bottom near the rear wheelarch really need them doing so will get some price's tommorow

Really liking the Burnside cavalier. Buy the CD rob t the mk3 prices are rising!

Cavalier are for winners! Fact. 

Glad to see a few Cavaliers on AS finally got mine back on the road last week though still requires some paintwork now. 

phone%20pics%2010752_zpsu4zwxemy.jpg

Also mine needs the rocker gasket again for the 4th time in nearly 9 years and 75,000 miles but can't ever get them to last more than 5 minutes. Am really reluctant to touch mine though as I'm worried about the bolts snapping too with age.

Check breathers for sure with that record.  Might not have to change gasket at all.

Photos flatter it!  Rear arches are gone and it's a bit rough generally, but then it's parked on a busy road and has to suffer the rigours of Mrs T driving it so I can't be too precious.

Rad change was easy in the end, but I reckon you're right on the breathers Jon.  Will take a look at some point.

I nearly bought a saloon in 2015 same as this one in rembrandt silver.  The guy still has it and is local, so in a weak moment I might contact him again....having the hatch is handy though as only last week I used it to collect a chest of drawers.  It really does swallow up a fair old load.

attachicon.gifcav saloon.jpg

Saloon still has a folding seat IIRC...

True, but hatch is useful for bulky loads.  I transported an office desk in it last year.  Had millimeters to spare and was a bit concerned the corner of the desk would punch the rear screen out on the 80 mile drive home!  An Omega would've swallowed it with ease.

The rear seat also has a ski hatch, although I wonder how many were actually used for that specific purpose.  Handy for bits of timber and plumbers pipe etc.

• 1 month later...

It dawned on me recently that I've owned K415 KGW for two years now. In that time apart from routine servicing it's needed:

-Four new tyres. Tread was OK, but they were old budget randoms and were rubbish in the wet.

-Front shocks. Not an MoT fail but I was hoping new ones would improve the ride a bit. It didn't.

-Front discs and pads.

-Small bit of sill weldage.

-Cam cover gaskets x2.

-Idle control valve. This was a second hand part and it still idles a bit uneven, so I might buy a new one.

-New radiator. Being an auto it needed one with the additional oil cooler pipes, and at the time I had a lucky find on eBay as there was only one at £45.

So not bad for two years motoring, and none of that has proved too costly or rendered the car unusable for any length of time. Admittedy we've only done 4,000 miles per year (other chod on the scene means this gets light use) but as a reliable runabout it's been one of the best cars I've ever owned.

Next up is some rear brake fettling as they're squeaking a bit and the handbrake is shit, and decide whether I get the rear arches repaired properly or bodge them with wob...