Cavalier (Mk3) Attitude - MoT result

RobT

Father_brookjm was another company car cav driver. H537YTO was a white 2.0i cd hatch that I was paid £1 to wash and vac each weekend.

The interior was mega with comfy velourious seats and I remember almost being in awe of the 'wood' door cappings, a first on our family wagons. Sadly local scabs also took a liking to it and at the height of early 90s OMG joyriders, it was nicked no less than 3 times, each time winding up with frontal damage and being found minus its distinctive cd alloys.

The last time it happened it was found on bricks in a pub car park, and it was repaired with a set of steel wheels instead. Wasn't stolen again!

This would be my ideal, great colour and wheel combination, although something this mint is probably beyond my budget.  Just tried to register on the mk3 Cavalier forum but kept getting the anti-spammers code wrong - those things are all well and good but crap if you can't actually read them...

attachicon.gifcavalier mk3.jpg

When I was a lad, a family friend had a Cavalier Saloon in that colour and also in CD spec. Lovely car, like brookjm above I remember it having lovely walnut inlays and for some reason a sports button on the automatic gearbox. J209OJF I think was the plate.

There were a few others owned by friends and family including a navy early GL model and a last of the line 'Expression' in a kind of purple colour (N309BSC, IIRC) that I spent a lot of time in as a kid. As such, I have a big soft spot for these cars. The pre-facelift CD was by far the nicest but I always thought the N-reg one was a great looking car too.

post-4673-0-41353100-1389394520_thumb.jpg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291050582311?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Not strictly a cav, A cavalier coupe if you will. I assume its the autobox thats saved it from being got at, looks really untouched, and under the poundland trimz its still got the spindly wheels that gave this model its slippery drag coefficient-  0.26, which was unbeaten untill the audi a2!

Looks to be an early one on the J

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ive tried several times to get on the mk3 Cav forum and even registered but never got the conformation email so i couldnt go on the forum   emailed them twice and nothing so gave up 

Sorry to bring this thread back up (thought it's not that old anyhow) but I can't get registered on Mk3Cav either, are they the Autoshite of the Vauxhall world?

3932238774_4b4094889a_o.jpg

Morgan84 will remember this one. This was G617 FVF, a 1989 2.0 8v CD in Haze Blue. Belonged to the college where I went, used as a training car which meant bits were pulled off and put back on badly. Just over 69k on the clock. Obv never went anywhere in it but sounded a beast when driven up the short service road outside the workshops.

Wasn't on the road that long...

The vehicle details for G617 FVF are:
Date of Liability 28 01 1994 Date of First Registration 09 08 1989 Year of Manufacture 1989 Cylinder Capacity (cc) 1998cc CO₂ Emissions Not Available Fuel Type PETROL Export Marker N Vehicle Status Unlicensed Vehicle Colour BLUE Vehicle Type Approval Not Available Vehicle Excise Duty rate for vehicle 6 Months Rate £123.75 12 Months Rate £225.00

• 1 month later...

I've finally been arsed to get some photos of the Cavalier.  Been tinkering with it today and done an oil change and general tidy up of the interior.  Bodywork is average as you can see but it drives really nice and is sooooo quiet when compared to the Rover.  I'm really liking it actually and it's piss easy to work on.

The old boy must have taken it through many a car wash as the coachline has almost disappeared.

post-5013-0-77248700-1397860143_thumb.jpg

post-5013-0-81234700-1397860167_thumb.jpg

post-5013-0-51504100-1397860185_thumb.jpg

Tape holder!  And the stereo works which is a novelty as most of my recent shite have failed in that regard.

post-5013-0-66957300-1397860211_thumb.jpg

Posh-spec rear passenger courtesy lights are a nice touch

post-5013-0-60608500-1397860230_thumb.jpg

In the days when it warranted shouting about

post-5013-0-46264800-1397860247_thumb.jpg

Shit rear arch.  But it was cheap so whatever.  I've just noticed that's a Pirelli on there so I'll take a look at the other side tomorrow to see if they match.  The fronts are budget randoms.

post-5013-0-96599800-1397860266_thumb.jpg

Fingers crossed it'll make it to Shitefest!  I also tried to get a matching pair by bidding on a Diplomat auto earlier today but it failed to meet the reserve, which is probably a good thing.  One is enough for now.

Ive tried several times to get on the mk3 Cav forum and even registered but never got the conformation email so i couldnt go on the forum   emailed them twice and nothing so gave up 

I'm on the forum (from the days when I owned a Cavalier) - I'll post a message on there mentioning there are login problems. It was a good forum a while back. 

Seats are very comfortable as is the driving position. In some cars I'm always fiddling with the setup but this seems just right. Ride is quite firm although similar to the old Sierra, and the acceleration is bloody good, feels quite sporty so the 16v ones must be stonking things to drive. The gearing is tall which means motorway cruising is relaxed, but sometimes I'm having to keep it in 3rd in a 30 zone otherwise the speed just creeps up.

This one is a bit shonky so good examples must be a joy. I'm surprised how much i like it actually, even Mrs T is starting to see it's virtues and she started off with a bit of badge snobbery!

The mechanic who worked on it previously must have been limp wristed though as the spark plugs and the sump plug were barely hand tight, no wonder the underside is caked in oil.

Guest tommy8252

I have 2 a red 2.0 8v gls with heated leather interior and other toys like electric windows, electric heated wing mirrors, front fogs. And an older 2.0 8v 4x4.

Great cars, very frugal due to great low down torque. I took my gls on a 2000 mile roadtrip to germany and back via the Nurburgring. It drove faultlessly and returned 50mpg.

• 11 months later...

Thread resurrection!

I've spent all day de-skanking the Cavalier I bought last week. It was GRIM inside, not sure it has ever been cleaned properly and the carpets and seats are still rank, but the outside looks a lot better with the trim rejuvinated. I promised myself not to get too fussy with this one, but I couldn't help the old OCD kicking in.

post-5013-0-96395900-1428341225_thumb.jpgpost-5013-0-65389300-1428341263_thumb.jpg

post-5013-0-83809400-1428341301_thumb.jpg

I'm also wondering whether to needlessly spend money by pre-facelifting it with the grill and headlights, plus the much nicer CD alloys from earlier cars (assuming I can get hold of a set). Or just buy another whole Cav and have a pair. I want all the CD Cavaliers left in existence basically.

Mechanically its good, 122k miles with some history and all the fluids are clean, so atleast the previous owner and giffers before him did that bit, even if cleanliness took a back seat. Ms T also approves of her new chariot, and the punchy 2 litre beater suits her rapid driving style!

Ruddy tablet has lumped this pic at the end for some reason

post-5013-0-97373300-1428342589_thumb.jpg