The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

9 hours ago, Barry Cade said:

Want to see the Nazi holiday camp on Rügen, the glass factory in Dresden, maybe pop past family in Visselhovede, the eagles nest in berechtsgaden, ride the roads in the Vosges.. who knows. 

I did a bike trip in that neck of the woods a few years ago. You can camp on the lawn of the Nazi holiday gaff, when I went they did a deal that included dinner and breakfast which was pretty cheap all in. Grub wasn't anything to write home about, but what can you do! Depending on your route, I quite liked Gdansk - might be worth a stop while you're in that vague neck of the woods.

24 minutes ago, Tepper said:

I did a bike trip in that neck of the woods a few years ago. You can camp on the lawn of the Nazi holiday gaff, when I went they did a deal that included dinner and breakfast which was pretty cheap all in. Grub wasn't anything to write home about, but what can you do! Depending on your route, I quite liked Gdansk - might be worth a stop while you're in that vague neck of the woods.

Sounds interesting! seemingly theres a small car museum there now too. Would love to see the submarine theyre putting in the Speyer museum too. I've been to Gdansk before, visited in 2012 ,and stayed with family in Nowe, not too far away. 

On 4/30/2023 at 3:54 PM, Snake Charmer said:

Early one too with drum front brake. 😎

Brooklands yesterday:

20230429_103139.thumb.jpg.3b5c8ba5a29611ed3e345d403d378e18.jpg

Have actually ridden one of these. Many Years ago (about 25) the bike shop i worked for had 'an evening with Phil Read' as he was still alive back then and still talking anyone who would listens ear off about how he was better than ago and hailwood etc and it was all down to him that yamahas did so well with 2 strokes etc etc, anyway, there were also a number of interesting MV's and the like about, as well as Foggys TT OwO1, which i also had a little go on.

The noise those MV fours make is purely magical and will make hair stand up on the neck (if they dont, check your pulse for alive-ness)

18 hours ago, Barry Cade said:

*plans are subject to change... weather and funds dependent . 

Fife to Newhaven in 1 hit. Kip on Ferry then off at Dieppe. Head towards Luxembourg, over to Rügen, into Poland and ride down through Poland, through Czech, across past Lake Constance, Vosges, then Dieppe, Newhaven and home. 10 days. Camping as cheap as possible, if I find somewhere I like I'll have a couple of days, otherwise 3- 500 miles a day. 

Want to see the Nazi holiday camp on Rügen, the glass factory in Dresden, maybe pop past family in Visselhovede, the eagles nest in berechtsgaden, ride the roads in the Vosges.. who knows. 

Make sure you do the Black Forest if you are going to Vosges. They complement each other really well. Ive done AM in the Vosges (Ballon Route - I always stop and take a walk around the GB), lunch in Breisach and PM around Todtnau and the Feldberg

1 hour ago, pilninggas said:

Make sure you do the Black Forest if you are going to Vosges. They complement each other really well. Ive done AM in the Vosges (Ballon Route - I always stop and take a walk around the GB), lunch in Breisach and PM around Todtnau and the Feldberg

Been many times, love Triberg and cuckoo clocks! Cops are proper clamping down on bikes there though, especially the B500. I've got my quiet pipe on. Vosges was empty and better surfaced so gonna stay at Camping Labroche again, loved it last year.Screenshot_20230504_180650_Facebook.thumb.jpg.7e9ddedea26b6745b6d013434eb150b8.jpg

23 minutes ago, Barry Cade said:

Been many times, love Triberg and cuckoo clocks! Cops are proper clamping down on bikes there though, especially the B500. I've got my quiet pipe on. Vosges was empty and better surfaced so gonna stay at Camping Labroche again, loved it last year.Screenshot_20230504_180650_Facebook.thumb.jpg.7e9ddedea26b6745b6d013434eb150b8.jpg

I didnt bother with the B500 last summer - it's jumped the shark.

The other roads [including other parallel north-south routes] are not on krautplod's radar and are less trafficked generally.

I might go down in a few weeks, but it'll be lastminute.com if I do. I like to base myself in Freiburg, but might try Munster [love the cheese] or one of the roads out of Colmar.

40 minutes ago, pilninggas said:

I had a simson. Great thing. I wish I still had it. 49cc lectrik start, 12v, fast acceleration for the capacity, practical. Those commies did ugly utilitarian well. 

I never had a Simson but I have had plenty of MZ's. I passed my test on a TS125 and an old, slightly foxed, Supa 5 is one bike I look back at with great fondness. The East German products were certainly a cut above the average Bloc chod (see also cameras and binoculars).

There is a big increase in ULEZ zones here in Spain (three local cities are going to have them), plus there are more and more popping up all across  Europe.

So, waved goodbye to the (non compliant) Deauville 650, and said hello to a new NC750X.

Did the first 1000kms in 6 days to get the first service done, and in the 600kms since I have sorted the uncomfortable seat, and worked out the dash settings.

I like it-so torquey compared to the Deauville, and 89mpg achieved. Also the first bike I have had with rider modes where I can tell the difference between each one. I change it to "Sport" for every ride, as default is normal. Whether it will ever go into rain mode here is doubtful.

Off next week to Czechia, meeting up with mates from the UK near Vichy in France, then heading easy to South East of Brno to meet up at a bikers event we have been attending since 2009. 

Just hope I can ride it for 12 hours a day in comfort. The Deauville was boring, but by god it was comfortable.

20230412_161324.thumb.jpg.c3c9a4e0e197aa7bde8aa4628a8a33b9.jpg

48 minutes ago, Jerzy Woking said:

There is a big increase in ULEZ zones here in Spain (three local cities are going to have them), plus there are more and more popping up all across  Europe.

So, waved goodbye to the (non compliant) Deauville 650, and said hello to a new NC750X.

Did the first 1000kms in 6 days to get the first service done, and in the 600kms since I have sorted the uncomfortable seat, and worked out the dash settings.

I like it-so torquey compared to the Deauville, and 89mpg achieved. Also the first bike I have had with rider modes where I can tell the difference between each one. I change it to "Sport" for every ride, as default is normal. Whether it will ever go into rain mode here is doubtful.

Off next week to Czechia, meeting up with mates from the UK near Vichy in France, then heading easy to South East of Brno to meet up at a bikers event we have been attending since 2009. 

Just hope I can ride it for 12 hours a day in comfort. The Deauville was boring, but by god it was comfortable.

20230412_161324.thumb.jpg.c3c9a4e0e197aa7bde8aa4628a8a33b9.jpg

I did 14 hour days on the NC I sold to @Fabergé Greggs- used one of those strap-ons [oo-er] - which i also use on my other bikes.

A few companies make comfort seats too [you might get lucky on ebay on a used one]. The NC auto I have now has a corbeau that came with it - it's better.

The NC is a level better than the Deauville, the better bit of the DV is the shaft. An NC with shaft would have been peak more cycle - it's close anyway.

Thanks. 

I tried an aftermarket seat on a friends Himalayan, and despite the €350 price tag, it was no better than mine with the standard seat. I bought a 1cm thick slab of gel and put that under the sheepskin cover. It went from a two hour "I've got to stop" to a six hour stop.

My Street Triple was even worse. 40 minutes before I was so uncomfortable, it was distracting. So I bought a 2cm thick slab of gel, and put that under the sheepskin cover. In September I rode from here to Melle in France, and it was perfect for 10 hour riding days.

So, done the same to the NC, and after a 4 hour ride, it seems comfortable enough.

The shaft drive on the DV I miss, as well as the built in luggage. I do not miss its weight, or its crap fuel consuption.

I tried the DCT, but didn't like it. We had an Aprilia Mana on test at work, really liked that, as it had a foot change as well as a thumb change. But it was so bloody ugly!

28 minutes ago, Jerzy Woking said:

Thanks. 

I tried an aftermarket seat on a friends Himalayan, and despite the €350 price tag, it was no better than mine with the standard seat. I bought a 1cm thick slab of gel and put that under the sheepskin cover. It went from a two hour "I've got to stop" to a six hour stop.

My Street Triple was even worse. 40 minutes before I was so uncomfortable, it was distracting. So I bought a 2cm thick slab of gel, and put that under the sheepskin cover. In September I rode from here to Melle in France, and it was perfect for 10 hour riding days.

So, done the same to the NC, and after a 4 hour ride, it seems comfortable enough.

The shaft drive on the DV I miss, as well as the built in luggage. I do not miss its weight, or its crap fuel consuption.

I tried the DCT, but didn't like it. We had an Aprilia Mana on test at work, really liked that, as it had a foot change as well as a thumb change. But it was so bloody ugly!

You can get an optional foot lever for the DCT- I’d be interested to try one! 

The little CT was faultless at the road trial - more than can be said about my cricket type score 😂

Out again today for a little 65 mile blip round the local lanes. Mate on his 300L , missis on the KE and I was on the CT90 . 53 years between the oldest and newest bikes in the pic 

IMG_2146.jpeg

This has entered the fold today. It has twice the required amount of manly/proper bike strokes, but they are quite a snazzy looking thing imho...

May be an image of motorcycle and dirt bike

May be an image of dirt bike, motorcycle and text

Bit of a 'ten footer' but looks pretty tidy for the age of it (1980). I remember them when they were new, a work colleague at the time bought one  and they still look quite snazzy imho, a bit BMW-ish I thought at the time. Anyhow,  a couple have gone which made a little room for it. 

This has entered the fold today. It has twice the required amount of manly/proper bike strokes, but they are quite a snazzy looking thing imho...
346264857_507704261432805_1536760895229933360_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=EY6VK5_PKs4AX_7cSWX&_nc_ht=scontent.fman4-2.fna&oh=00_AfCRH-HPsOttTgYxZy1Zb4iuSBqDglyAswNN4svWFVVRcg&oe=64628EEC
345934897_217220427696619_7818186621803942022_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=bFtXP33cf5YAX8VoXdZ&_nc_ht=scontent.fman4-1.fna&oh=00_AfAvcOpdBvk7MIxEt4bfPNJ4tccCzabnxCPJ_dpusLaVmw&oe=6461DA00
Bit of a 'ten footer' but looks pretty tidy for the age of it (1980). I remember them when they were new, a work colleague at the time bought one  and they still look quite snazzy imho, a bit BMW-ish I thought at the time. Anyhow,  a couple have gone which made a little room for it. 
That is a bit of a honey, takes me right back to my yoof.

Suzuki GSX250

They were hated when they were new. As with most four stroke 250’s - got to admit the looks are a bit marmite, strange choice as they don’t exactly look like any of the other Suzukis in the range at the time

They were hated when they were new. As with most four stroke 250’s - got to admit the looks are a bit marmite, strange choice as they don’t exactly look like any of the other Suzukis in the range at the time
Very true, but like with so many things the intervening years have been kind and now it looks spot on for the era.

1 hour ago, Stinkwheel said:

They were a bit different, but looks wise I think they're great. Stood out compared to the XS/CB250N/Z250, who were probably their main rivals at the time. None of them could really compete with their 2T brothers, in terms of performance, excitement or desirability but still looked well, imho.

Still love to get an XS250SE though, pretty much above all other small 4 strokes. They were pretty crap and didn't like being hammered, but have very fond memories of them.

On 5/7/2023 at 6:37 PM, Iamgroot said:

Nice little local bimble today, if it was next weekend we could have got a silver award in the WNRR!

Screenshot_20230507-171034-016.thumb.png.537eb12b4b74d95be11fc1bfab89f4a1.png

That route was great fun in a 7.5 tonner, must be immense on a bike.