The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

10 minutes ago, Iamgroot said:

That hyosung is actually a really nice looking bike, well bought @pilninggas!

You are right, the engine isn't the same as the Suzuki one, it was a bit of an urban myth because I think they built some engines for Suzuki, who they are kind of mentored by I believe. But I bet if you looked at any hyosung 650's on eBay they would tell you it was an SV650 engine....

when you said Aber was a 1 hr radius I thought you might be by me, then quickly realised you were further south when I saw where else was in your radius.

We regularly haul up to Mid Powys. Someday hope to move to mid-Powys or Shrops. 

Last year I wrote off my GSXS (the one in the pic) when a lump of something [conc?] went through the engine, just south of Newtown on the A483 (Dolfor way, the A483 there probably being the best road in the UK in my extended experience). The bike got recovered, written off, I got it back for salvage and whacked a replacement engine in.

+Edit - we quite often ride to places like North Wales, Chester, Lincolnshire, Cornwall etc have a bit of a tourist stop and back home in a day. Sometimes leaving at 7am on Sunday to get 400-500 miles in.

1 minute ago, pilninggas said:

We regularly haul up to Mid Powys. Someday hope to move to mid-Powys or Shrops. 

Last year I wrote off my GSXS (the one in the pic) when a lump of something [conc?] went through the engine, just south of Newtown on the A483 (Dolfor way, the A483 there probably being the best road in the UK in my extended experience). The bike got recovered, written off, I got it back for salvage and whacked a replacement engine in.

Luckily for me, The dolfor road starts only about 2 mins from my house, Last time I was on it I was going round a left hand bend and found a pickup stopped mid corner turning right, I stood the bike up and carried out an immediate and thorough field test of Honda's ABS, which turns out to be pretty good!

Are these about as hopeless as you'd expect for £21.99 and assume you have to safely* take your hand off the bars to fiddle about trying to answer the phone?

UK BT-12 Bluetooth Motorcycle Helmet Headset Wireless Motorbike Headphone FM GPS | eBay

It's more for sat nav use really, (the big plus of biking is the peace and quiet from other people), but it could be handy if expecting a call.

These are what I use (or some very similar, as mine were advertised with thin speakers).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203965304901?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=igfge9zzsq6&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=ZsZncEoNTRa&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Under £12.00, easy to fit in most helmets. Battery life for sat nav about 14 hours. Still loud enough at 130 kph, but you do have to play around with their positioning in the helmet to get the best sound.

Had one set for about 3 years and still good. Both other helmets get worn less, but the headsets seem to retain their power when switched off, even if not used for a couple of months. Recommended

1 hour ago, Cavcraft said:

Are these about as hopeless as you'd expect for £21.99 and assume you have to safely* take your hand off the bars to fiddle about trying to answer the phone?

UK BT-12 Bluetooth Motorcycle Helmet Headset Wireless Motorbike Headphone FM GPS | eBay

It's more for sat nav use really, (the big plus of biking is the peace and quiet from other people), but it could be handy if expecting a call.

They are ok, and do the job on the cheap, I have used them and they are ok but then a Cardo is much betterer but 8 times the price.

On 3/27/2023 at 11:13 AM, andyberg said:

Just taken an Enfield Meteor out for a test ride. Bloody lovely bike, it suits me just right. Comfy and perfect for bimbling around on. Build quality seems really good too. And the best bit is the salesman was not pushy at all, a  nice change. I like the blue better though. Time to talk to the financial director. The bike is so good I would even contemplate selling my GT185 to fund a purchase😱

IMG_20230327_102425.jpg

Had a seat on one at the Scottish Bike Show. Seemed comfy enough but I was concerned the foot forward position would put  pressure on my lower back/tailbone area, how did you find it?

2 hours ago, 5speedracer said:

Had a seat on one at the Scottish Bike Show. Seemed comfy enough but I was concerned the foot forward position would put  pressure on my lower back/tailbone area, how did you find it?

I found it ok, but if I do get one I would look into a gel seat cover or similar. After about an hour my bum was a bit sore. Didn't notice any discomfort in my lower back. It is a comfy bike apart from the rock hard seat. But I think that's a modern thing? My Triumph Sprint's seat is softer and my GT185 softer still. Fowler's, my local Enfield dealer, does 1 hour test rides without a chaperone so you can get a better idea of what the bikes like. I'm going to delay any decision until I come back from my holiday in June. 

16 hours ago, andyberg said:

I found it ok, but if I do get one I would look into a gel seat cover or similar. After about an hour my bum was a bit sore. Didn't notice any discomfort in my lower back. It is a comfy bike apart from the rock hard seat. But I think that's a modern thing? My Triumph Sprint's seat is softer and my GT185 softer still. Fowler's, my local Enfield dealer, does 1 hour test rides without a chaperone so you can get a better idea of what the bikes like. I'm going to delay any decision until I come back from my holiday in June. 

I've got an Interceptor now and ended up putting the Continental GT touring seat on it but the Meteor looks a prime candidate for an Airrider cushion.

Got out on the Hyosung and did about 190 miles - Home to Barry, to Porthcawl, to Hay on Wye, to Aber and back home.

It goes very well - 4,000-6000 rpm equates to decent road speeds and is close to max torque so it gets down the road nicely. Pulls cleanly and rapidly; around town a bit chopsy, but then loads of bikes are due to emissions regs.

Handles well - perhaps better than it should do. Suspension is okay. Front brake good [rear wooden]. Reasonably comfortable. Got about 70mpg, which given i was hustling wasnt too shabby.

Need to decide whether ill keep it or flip it.

IMG_20230404_114845.jpg

IMG_20230404_140809.jpg

What are people's thoughts on the Triumph Daytona 955i?

I'm (still) on the lookout for my first bike and can't help thinking that something Japanese would be a safe bet.

Having said that, a bit of online research suggests these Triumphs are pretty reliable and reviews are generally positive. I love the styling and the sound of the triple.

Worth a look?

6 minutes ago, MrGTI6 said:

I'm (still) on the lookout for my first bike and can't help thinking that something Japanese would be a safe bet.

Having said that, a bit of online research suggests these Triumphs are pretty reliable and reviews are generally positive. I love the styling and the sound of the triple.

Worth a look?

They are excellent bikes, I have had 4 955's of varying types, things to watch out for are swollen fuel tanks, lazy starting (sprag clutch) knackered IACV hoses and quick release connections under the tanks, plus everything else that can go wrong on a 20 year old bike, the single sided swing arm models are better, loud can and a remap gives you 125bhp which is enough for anyone.

If I was buying another it'd probably be another speed triple, I found the daytona's hard on the wrists.

5 minutes ago, MrGTI6 said:

Worth a look?

I have a 955 Sprint, virtually the same bike. It's done 50k miles and still goes well. It's comfy and fast and sounds glorious when it's wound up. It is a heavy old beast though. Mines a gen1 (before2000) apparently the gen2 engine is a bit better, more power and things like the sprag clutch (engages the starter) is much easier to replace. I really like the styling and the feel of the bike. I just find it a bit heavy sometimes for my old legs.

10 minutes ago, Jazoli said:

They are excellent bikes, I have had 4 955's of varying types, things to watch out for are swollen fuel tanks, lazy starting (sprag clutch) knackered IACV hoses and quick release connections under the tanks, plus everything else that can go wrong on a 20 year old bike, the single sided swing arm models are better, loud can and a remap gives you 125bhp which is enough for anyone.

If I was buying another it'd probably be another speed triple, I found the daytona's hard on the wrists.

6 minutes ago, andyberg said:

I have a 955 Sprint, virtually the same bike. It's done 50k miles and still goes well. It's comfy and fast and sounds glorious when it's wound up. It is a heavy old beast though. Mines a gen1 (before2000) apparently the gen2 engine is a bit better, more power and things like the sprag clutch (engages the starter) is much easier to replace. I really like the styling and the feel of the bike. I just find it a bit heavy sometimes for my old legs.

Thank you both. Really useful to know what to look out for and how different variants compare.

I've found a 2002 Daytona online at a dealer which has piqued my interest. It's up for about £2,500 but it's only done 9k. I've just had a look at a few Sprints and they look like good value. A lot with higher mileage, but that doesn't put me off too much provided they've been looked after.

Cheers! 👍

I paid £600 for mine last year. I think I got it cheap mind. It's not in mint condition, you can see some of the 50k miles in its appearance. It's a 10 footer. I added genuine panniers, the bar risers, a new gel battery and Michelin road 5 tyres. Got it through the MOT with just 2 advisories for chain and worn discs. I'll get those sorted this summer. 

16 hours ago, andyberg said:

I got bar risers for mine as I also found my wrists hurt at low speed. The risers have made it much more bearable, not cured it, but much better. I had a VFR750 years ago, I would say the 955 is a better all round bike 

Interesting. I love the look of the vfr750 and considering one as a first bike along with the 675 Daytona or a kwaka zx6r

56 minutes ago, straightSix said:

Interesting. I love the look of the vfr750 and considering one as a first bike along with the 675 Daytona or a kwaka zx6r

Don't get me wrong the VFR is an awesome bike, and again sounds lovely. Especially going through a tunnel on the way to the nurburgring 😉 but I just think the Sprint is a little bit better.

3 hours ago, straightSix said:

2 hours ago, andyberg said:

Don't get me wrong the VFR is an awesome bike, and again sounds lovely. Especially going through a tunnel on the way to the nurburgring 😉 but I just think the Sprint is a little bit better.

I wonder, is there a higher spec option with an extra set of gauges and radar cruise control called the IFR750?

(sorry, couldn't help myself :) )

On 4/4/2023 at 9:26 PM, MrGTI6 said:

Thank you both. Really useful to know what to look out for and how different variants compare.

I've found a 2002 Daytona online at a dealer which has piqued my interest. It's up for about £2,500 but it's only done 9k. I've just had a look at a few Sprints and they look like good value. A lot with higher mileage, but that doesn't put me off too much provided they've been looked after.

Cheers! 👍

I would add to check the chain is adjusted correctly as the rear hub tends to seize if not looked after and that makes the chain unadjustable. Great bikes. I had a 2002 model for 15k and it was good fun, plenty of torque but also sounded good at the top end, Beowulf can.

@jazoli may have the engine spec incorrect as the Sprints (RS and ST) had a good bit less power but the 955i is listed at 147 BHP.

On 3/9/2023 at 6:26 PM, tom13 said:

Also anyone have any experience of thin palmed gloves for road use with good abrasion resistance? I hate the bulky nature of proper road gloves but I would like something with a decent bit of palm protection.

I use a pair of Spidi Urban gloves for summer wear. Very minimal padding. Also available in Autoshite brown. :D

17 hours ago, 5speedracer said:

I would add to check the chain is adjusted correctly as the rear hub tends to seize if not looked after and that makes the chain unadjustable. Great bikes. I had a 2002 model for 15k and it was good fun, plenty of torque but also sounded good at the top end, Beowulf can.

@jazoli may have the engine spec incorrect as the Sprints (RS and ST) had a good bit less power but the 955i is listed at 147 BHP.

Its listed as 147bhp but it never really was, I remapped mine and had it dyno'd and it was 125bhp at the rear wheel, my 150bhp R1 was significantly quicker.

Want that vintage Lambretta look for a faction of the cost.

At an auction in the North East next week, estimate £200-£300. Year MoT. 9,000 miles and service history. No idea about parts or dealers as all the info on the web dates to 2020 and earlier.

Scomadi Turismo Leggera 125cc 

A Scomadi Turismo Leggera 125cc Auto Scooter, registered 2016, petrol, with MOT to 16 March 2024, (atgportals.net)

24d4bba1-047f-44fb-9d8e-afdc0095f049.jpg

On 4/7/2023 at 7:53 AM, Jazoli said:

Its listed as 147bhp but it never really was, I remapped mine and had it dyno'd and it was 125bhp at the rear wheel, my 150bhp R1 was significantly quicker.

I think Triumph later admitted to making their power figures up to suit whatever the opposition were quoting. 

My 955 is getting a bit of attention at the moment. It’s a poor starter, has a battery drain and really needs new fork seals and a chain/sprockets. More pressing was a persistent air leak on the rear tyre. Having investigated it turned out to be a cracked tyre valve stem. Annoyingly Triumph use those tiddly undersized stems Ducati use, not the car type ones most Jap bikes have. Still, gave me a chance to fit a sideways valve so it isn’t so fiddly to do the tyre pressures. 

I did get a pang of sellers regret the other day, having encountered a lad on an old 90s CBR 600f on the trumpet road out from Ledbury, much more agile and with better turn in. I am wondering if I might get another of these instead, it was much more usable.