FOR SALE: LADA NIVA 1.7i 'OLGA' See Page 8

explosive-cabbage

I am enjoying this, I have always had a soft spot for these things ever since the 1987 Earls Court Motor Show where Lada and Fiat were the only stands that took a 15 year old seriously.

Well done on the wiring. I know it's not tricky if you are patient and methodical but that pile of cables looked pretty scary!

Hello again!

Here's another quick update. Haven't got as much time at home this week due to work commitments, but enough time to get the brake system in bits and find for parts that need replacing. Aiming to get this thing on the road in time for a trip to Center Parcs in September!

First things first.

DSC03248.jpg

DSC03251.jpg

Calipers came off like everything* on the Niva does - nice and simple

DSC03252.jpg

*Not everything

Found a cocoon and a large amount of dead spiders in behind the brakes...

DSC03253.jpg

DSC03254.jpg

Same for the other side

DSC03256.jpg

DSC03257.jpg

Hoses, caliper and disk.

DSC03258.jpg

These front hoses will want replacing. Best do it now before some over-religious MOT test fanatic spots them...

DSC03259.jpg

Onto the rear.

DSC03260.jpg

Those seals look good to me, and 5 years sat in someones backyard doesn't seem to have resulted in serious water ingress and rusting the the mechanics either.

DSC03263.jpg

Probably as good as I could hope for, I'll leave the rears for the time being and see what they are like when its all re-bled.

DSC03266.jpg

DSC03267.jpg

I sat cross-legged on the floor with a toothbrush and a pot of petrol and dismantled the front calipers then cleaned them.

The rubber dust boots over the ends of the pistons were on there way out, a bit worn and with tiny holes on the folds. Replacement methinks. All the internals were fine, 100% better than the clutch slave cylinder! There was one tiny mark of rust on one of the pistons, but nothing to worry about really.

DSC03268.jpg

DSC03269.jpg

DSC03271.jpg

Left in a pot of brake fluid till I have the propper seals to re-build.

DSC03270.jpg

The disks and drums have very light surface rust, enough to warrant cleaning up.

DSC03272.jpg

Found another use for Dad's Dremel!

DSC03275.jpg

DSC03274.jpg

DSC03273.jpg

Literally 10 minutes later, a brand new set of disks and drums. :wink: Some bits of kit are just really useful to have around.

DSC03277.jpg

DSC03278.jpg

Ordered off Neil at Lada Parts UK: Front caliper seals kit, front brake hoses, Rear brake hose (might as well do the whole lot!), and a high pressure fuel filter.

Tomorrow I have to be away by mid afternoon, so limited time. I will probably get the exhaust rear-section off and see where the holes are. I have spotted a new rear exhaust section on the bay for £35 BIN. These Lada parts are abundant and cheap if you know where to look!

See you next week.

Have fun!

Will.

Evening Shiters!

Have to be brief as I'm getting a lift home and can't hold up the olds any longer it'll soon be their bedtimes!

Package through the post! Brake hoses and caliper seals and a fuel filter.

DSC03279.jpg

DSC03280.jpg

DSC03281.jpg

Due to a work sustained injury (dropped an 18 gallon keg of beer in my finger) I've had to wrap it up well.... Cotton wool, then a plastic thumb splint, a wrapping of surgical tape, then a section of bike inner tube and wrapped in duct tape.

DSC03283.jpg

The calipers ready to go back together... Old seals on the left, new on the right.

DSC03284.jpg

DSC03285.jpg

DSC03286.jpg

All done! Really simple.... Just oil up and push together.

DSC03287.jpg

New hoses...

DSC03288.jpg

DSC03289.jpg

The single rear hose from the body to the axle, Really easy to change.

DSC03291.jpg

DSC03293.jpg

The front calipers slotted straight back together and the hoses went on...

DSC03295.jpg

DSC03298.jpg

Had to find another bleed nipple (courtesy of Joe's Volvo) to replace one that had met its maker.

DSC03299.jpg

Brake fluid reservoir replaced and managed to get her bled through before bedtime with some help from Joe...

DSC03294.jpg

DSC03296.jpg

DSC03297.jpg

===========================================================================================================

I'm going to have to leave it there folks, so much to tell and so little time. Don't want to miss my lift home!

Bonus sized update next week, You'll just have to wait! Here's a spoiler.......

DSC03322.jpg

Nice work, will be good to see this one back on the road. Although I'm a bit jealous of how well your brakes had stood up to being untouched all that time, mine was retrieved from the same situation and the whole lot was a complete mess, nothing wanted to come off the car. Maybe Ladas aren't as bad as their rep!

Hi again!

Here's an update on last week's and progress today.

I only have 20 minutes before I have to get the bus home, so it'll have to be quick!

Fitted the new fuel filter...

DSC03301.jpg

And secured the carbon filter for fuel vapor.

DSC03302.jpg

I had to remove the tow bar to get the exhaust rear section off.

DSC03304.jpg

DSC03303.jpg

This joint between the centre and rear sections didn't want to budge, and no amount of wacking was going to help whilst I was laid under the car.

DSC03305.jpg

DSC03306.jpg

I ended up snapping the rotten rear box off and removing the centre and part of the rear pipe together...

DSC03308.jpg

DSC03309.jpg

With plenty of force it eventually yielded, opened up like a bean can...

DSC03310.jpg

DSC03312.jpg

To straighten out the slightly dented centre section pipe I forced another metal tube down inside it.

DSC03311.jpg

DSC03313.jpg

Next to new exhaust..

DSC03314.jpg

Old, rotten rear exhaust section fill of pin-prick holes.

DSC03315.jpg

With a new bracket between the sections, the new exhaust went on really easily, and it was a perfect fit.

DSC03316.jpg

DSC03317.jpg

DSC03319.jpg

I started her up and took her for a spin...

DSC03321.jpg

DSC03322.jpg

DSC03323.jpg

That was all for last week. I have forgotten my camera this week, so no pictures! Sorry. Found a few niggles that I have worked on this week as follows:

There seemed still to be a little air or moisture in the brake lines, probably in the secondary circuit, so I topped her up with fluid and let gravity force it out. On a test run this afternoon the brakes were much more solid than last week, but a brake bias that makes it slew slightly to the right. Maybe more bleeding with Joe's help next week will help.

The exhaust had a slight blow where the new sections were joined, probably due to the mess I made of it whilst fitting the new one. I had the exhaust off again and smeared with plenty of exhaust putty and it seemed to help but it's still not perfect.

After 3 failed attempts I managed to seal a puncture in one of the tyre shoulders. It's not perfect but may last till the tyre wears out.

The car wouldn't start when I came to running her! No power to any major electrics. After a lot of head scratching I found it was a faulty earth to the car body. This called for replacement earth cables off the Rover. Easy job, and I'm glad it was found now rather than whilst on the road!

Test drove again and it ran perfect!

Next week will be MOT prep.

Regards, Will.

Olga was in my ebay watch list, mainly because it was just round the corner from where I work. I was very tempted.

I am SOOO pleased that you bought it and that I never gave in to the twitchy bid finger - If I had bought it then it would still be sat outside my house with a little square of green t-cut off waiting for me to get around to some fettling. :roll:

And we wouldn't have this quality thread either!

Good Work!

Thanks Guys!

Havn't got much done this week, I'm having problems with the alternator. Its not producing power and therefore the car just runs batteries flat for fun. Its proving difficult to find one online and Lada Parts UK doesn't have one in stock. Also the alternator has already been re-manufactured and is missing i.d. numbers, so finding the proper re-build kit could be difficult.

Ill have to do some more searching online next week.

On the other hand the washers/wipers all work, but am waiting for a new washer pump from Lada Parts UK.

See ya next week!

Will

Thanks Guys!

Havn't got much done this week, I'm having problems with the alternator. Its not producing power and therefore the car just runs batteries flat for fun. Its proving difficult to find one online and Lada Parts UK doesn't have one in stock. Also the alternator has already been re-manufactured and is missing i.d. numbers, so finding the proper re-build kit could be difficult.

Ill have to do some more searching online next week.

On the other hand the washers/wipers all work, but am waiting for a new washer pump from Lada Parts UK.

See ya next week!

Will

• 3 weeks later...

Hi again!

I have a camera full of pictures to share with you all!

Went for an MOT yesterday and it passed on everything but the emissions - probably something to do with the Lambda sensor. Long story....

I have loads of pics I will upload when I pass my MOT (hopefully next week) :D

Check back!

Will

• 1 month later...

Is this the thread you forgot about??

After 6 weeks and countless hours of ball-aching around,

OLGA PASSED TODAY!!

I never gave up hope, and after 5 months it paid off!

Full report on the 2 MOTs and 6 emissions tests next week!

Right now, I'm off to the pub for a celebratory steak and a pint :D

Is this the thread you forgot about??

After 6 weeks and countless hours of ball-aching around,

OLGA PASSED TODAY!!

I never gave up hope, and after 5 months it paid off!

Full report on the 2 MOTs and 6 emissions tests next week!

Right now, I'm off to the pub for a celebratory steak and a pint :D