It's a sad day......

ayd

current climate killed it, needed minor work but being a 5cyl petrol it's too expensive to run as a fixerupper........loads of people were interested round here but when they realised how mch it'd cost in petrol they lost interest.Had a chat with the bloke and he was saying this is the oldest he's picked up in months, most of his work these days is scrapping R to V reg cars

anyone know the current rules and regs on 50cc Scooters?

In what way? As in whether you can ride one without doing a bike test or CBT?

To ride a scooter you need to be at least 16 years of age and preferably be able to ride a bicycle. To ride this type of vehicle one days training is required. It's not a test but is a way of introducing you to the road.

On completing the course you will be issued with a 'Certificate of Completion of an Approved Training Course' (DL196). You will be able to ride with 'L' plates without passengers and excluding motorways.

Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) was introduced on 1 December 1990 for all new provisional license holders of both mopeds and motorcycles. All learner riders are required to complete CBT before riding on the road (with the exception of riders who have passed a full moped test since December 1990).

Full car licence holders qualifying after 1 February 2001 must also complete a CBT course before riding a moped on the road.

Motorcycle test candidates are exempt from the Motorcycle Theory Test requirement if they hold either:

- A full license for another class included in category A (e.g. light motorcycle - subcategory AI) or

- A full moped (category P) license held as a result of passing a two part moped test.

(A rider who holds either a full car license or a full moped license (gained prior to 1 December 1990) may ride a motorcycle as a learner after first completing CBT as these licenses provide provisional motorcycle entitlement. A full car license issued before 1 February 2001 automatically provides full moped entitlement for which CBT is not required.)

From 1 February 2001, DL196 certificates issued will be valid for a period of 2 years. DL196 certificates issued prior to 1 February 2001 are valid for 3 years. The flexibility for learner riders to take CBT and the theory test in any order is available. Riders will have to retake CBT if they have been returned to provisional status as a result of convictions within 2 years of obtaining their full license under the New Drivers Act or if they have received a disqualification

Take my advice, do you CBT, buy a 125cc - 50cc FTL and are bloody lethal IMHO

Guest greenvanman

What he said, you'll be at the mercy of every idiot on the road riding a fifty. A nice 4-stroke 125 will allow you to hold your position on the road and give you 85-100mpg, but I certainly wouldn't ride anything smaller than my Honda C90.

....but I certainly wouldn't ride anything smaller than my Honda C90.

On the subject of which, I know of a reputedly well looked-after C90 in Enfield area. Can’t remember what age, widow of the same chap also has a Datsun 120A FII (coupe one) to sell which her husband owned from new.

What he said, you'll be at the mercy of every idiot on the road riding a fifty. A nice 4-stroke 125 will allow you to hold your position on the road and give you 85-100mpg, but I certainly wouldn't ride anything smaller than my Honda C90.
Either that or buy a nice modern European 50 (Aprilia SR, Peugeot Speedfight, Gilera Runner...) and get it properly derestricted - should manage 50 then. Don't touch any of the Chinese 50s though - not only are they badly built but they're hopelessly underpowered - 28mph is your lot. Don't buy a geared 50 either - they're no quicker than scooters and you'll look like a plonker banging it up and down the gears every ten yards to try and maintain momentum. Anyone know why you have to redo CBT? Surely the notion of "compulsory basic training" is that it's, well, basic training to give you the skills you need to ride a motorised two-wheeler on the road, and after that you get better and better as you gain experience. So why, after three years' worth of experience, do you have to go back and do the basic training again? I did my CBT once, in 1997, and as far as I'm concerned that once was all I needed. 'Specially since I'd been riding mopeds on the road (in France) for four years prior to that.

I have P on my licence so I take it this is for 50cc Scooters? This thing would only be for popping about an no further than local shops and work and back which is only a short distance so a 50 would be adequate.

Guest greenvanman

Either that or buy a nice modern European 50 (Aprilia SR, Peugeot Speedfight, Gilera Runner...) and get it properly derestricted - should manage 50 then.
I had an SR50 last year for a while and while it wasn't a bad bike in many respects even caning the nuts off it I only ever saw 45 on the (probably inaccurate) clock, going up hills you had to move over into the gutter as it dropped to about 30. Compare that with my unmodified 125 (not one of the faster ones either) which can do an easy 60 on the flat and climb hills at 50. The SR was fully de-restricted, with a carefully run in new barrel and piston etc. The power delivery was horrible too, the throttle was more like an on-off switch with no gradual 'winding on' of the power at all. You were lucky to get 65mpg from it too, my Daelim 125 regularly returns 85mpg and the Cub probably closer to 100 with no need for a bottle of expensive synthetic 2-stroke every month.Finding a decent example of the bikes you mention won't be the easiest task as most of them will have been ridden unsympathetically, at best, by any number of teenage thrashers.As far as insurance goes there doesn't seem to be any advantage there to having a 50 either - when I swapped to the Daelim half way through the year there was no extra charge (apart from the £25 'admin' fee robbery of course :roll:), and on renewal it went down to £80 fully comp!

Sorry to see the demise of your Audi ayd, it looks/looked a cracker. Sadly just too many things against it for me to be able to re-home it - bust inhibitor switch means undriveable, auto box means not a-frameable, and west of wales means £100 in fuel to come and collect it! Ah well.

....but I certainly wouldn't ride anything smaller than my Honda C90.

On the subject of which, I know of a reputedly well looked-after C90 in Enfield area. Can’t remember what age, widow of the same chap also has a Datsun 120A FII (coupe one) to sell which her husband owned from new.
Any idea what colour the Datsun is SL? I wonder if its the one I saw being piloted by an old dear round the corner from me a year or so ago?

Sorry to see the demise of your Audi ayd, it looks/looked a cracker. Sadly just too many things against it for me to be able to re-home it - bust inhibitor switch means undriveable, auto box means not a-frameable, and west of wales means £100 in fuel to come and collect it! Ah well.

Excuses, excuses.... :lol:So, as I passed my car test way back in 1987, does that mean I can do CBT and then ride a 125 indefinitely?? I thought you could only ride for 2 years or something? As usual, it's not very clear is it.

Posted Image

But it looks soo clean! :( Must have been one of the last of it's kind? :cry:

I couldn't see the pictures from work as photobucket has been blocked so all pictures from there aren't visible, same with flickr. So there was me assuming it must have been crashed into or something, but then I get home & it looks exactly as it did before! :shock:

Guest greenvanman

So, as I passed my car test way back in 1987, does that mean I can do CBT and then ride a 125 indefinitely?? I thought you could only ride for 2 years or something? As usual, it's not very clear is it.

Doesn't matter when you passed your test, your CBT only lasts 2 years.

Excuses, excuses.... :lol:So, as I passed my car test way back in 1987, does that mean I can do CBT and then ride a 125 indefinitely?? I thought you could only ride for 2 years or something? As usual, it's not very clear is it.
No you can't. The provisional motorcycle entitlement on your licence lasts indefinitely but it's only valid in conjunction with a current CBT certificate, which lasts 2 years.

Thats what I thought! So you just have to take your CBT again.... what a ridiculous bit of legislation.

That was introduced sometime about 2000 IIRC and designed to force people to go through the test as previouly you would have had people do the CBT and ride round on L plates till the end of time on little 125cc bikes as thats all they wanted (as I used to to) then the bloody 2 year rule came in and that menat either giving a Saturday and £100 quid up every 2 years or paying £40 and doing the bike test - so I did the latter which despite getting carved up and knocked off by a Transit van and doing 20mph more than the speed limit on the way back to the test centre (60 zone dropped to 40 for about 200 yds) the examiner passed me - he was that kind of guy, you had a bike, you were relaxed about riding he passed you - however he did fail some spotty herbert who tried to do his DAS, apparently this 17 yr old pimply yooof did more or less the same as me (broke the speed limit) and the bloke done and failed him.Despite having a full licence I still pootle around on small bikes, had a 500 once, didnt like it bought a 125 again and a 250 - more than enough for me. If you are just doing a short distance find a Honda C90 - they go on forever and are more than capable of doing 50 - and I used to get about 100 MPG out of mine easily. Oil change every 3K miles, new plug twice a year and that was it - even tyre changes could be done in the driveway.

Im sort of torn in my loyalty between the Yamaha and the Honda - the Honda C90 suffered years of abuse in my hands and never let me down, but then neither did the Yamaha RXS100, and was only marginally faster than the C90, and lacked wet weather protection that the leg shields offered.I now have a YBR125 and a GZ250V the YBR is actually very well screwed together despite being built in China by Yamahahahahaahr (mind you so is the CG125 these days) and quite happily does 65ish with even a fat knacker like me sat on top of it. The Yam gets alloy wheels which means no spokes to go "ping" otherwise they are much of a muchness.

yep, CG125, great bike, not as good as a Suzuki B120 tho!

B120 'Student'? Most ultimatist mingebag spec'd bike ever! Of course the real winners amongst you would try and find a KH125 or GT125.

A mate of mine had one of these when I was 17. The rest of us took the p1ss a bit as we all had 2 stroke sports bikes but I think we were all secretly liking it.

Posted Image

I had one of these and I loved it.....

Posted Image

Also had a de-restricted one of these for a while, great fun:

Posted Image

You cannot beat a 125 for ragging around town. They are light, nimble, economic, fun and fast enough to keep up with traffic on the A roads.

Writing this i am wondering why i ever sold mine.

Posted Image

Only problem with bikes is that if it rains its not nice. Even if they say the clothes are waterproof, in my experience they are not.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Well that's the first time i have ever put a photo of my arse on this site at least.

Guest greenvanman

Ah, the Suzuki A100 :)

I owned not one but two of those back in the day, now there's a learner bike with impeccable shite credentials: absolutely no performance, hopeless brakes, piss poor 6V electrics, wobbly handling etc etc. Top lard!

Posted Image

[There were pictures of shiny ones to be found on Google Images but this seemed somehow more apt :wink: ]