It's a sad day......

ayd

Never saw the point of the B120, crap performance and in the next insurance bracket (back in the day).I had a GP100 back then which was certainly a much more handsome machine for a 17 year old.There used to be endless discussion about 2-strokes being better than 4-strokes but to be perfectly honest the lads with the 4-strokes often got a better top speed, used less fuel, didn't need 2-stroke oil and had far superior reliablity. They had the last laugh!I've still got my old GT250X7 sitting in the garage that I bought in 1983 as a trade up from the GP100 - it's only done 15,000 miles... :roll:

Posted Image

Im So glad to know im not the only one with this problem, there is nothing worse than being a few miles of somewhere warm and dry and feeling your crotch growing cold and damp.

RK Sprts Jacket - leaks like a sieve

RK Sprorts Rainsuit - leaks in knees and crotch

Alpine Overtrousers - leak at crotch

All utter utter crap :evil:

I want to replace my Mundaneo with a 50cc scooter, they're ideal for this place (except for all the fuggin hills and my 15st bulk), I've got the licence as a free gift on passing the car test, only have to do the CBT if I want to get a 125cc provisional and can presumably derestrict the bastard legally. Question is whadda I buy? It's probably one occasion where I'd make an exception and go brand new as I'd be minded to hang onto it long-term, want a quality make so probably one of the Japanese manufacturers. Race colours would be nice but probably a bit wanky, other than that I don't know much. Advice pleeze?

Guest greenvanman

I want to replace my Mundaneo with a 50cc scooter, they're ideal for this place (except for all the fuggin hills and my 15st bulk), I've got the licence as a free gift on passing the car test, only have to do the CBT if I want to get a 125cc provisional and can presumably derestrict the bastard legally.

The 50cc licence entitlement you got with the car licence only allows you to ride a restricted machine. Riding a fifty will be a throughly miserable experience when you factor in a 'bigger' rider (I'm 15st too) and some hills. Just do your CBT and buy a 125, the running costs overall will be the same or quite possibly less and you'll be more likely to enjoy your riding.

Really, do your CBT. Been there, done that, got the T - Shirt.

I had the same thoughts as you back in the 90's and weighed a sprightly 14st.

I bought a TOMOS Disco A23 with derestricted 50cc motor and altered cog ratio - it managed 45 on the flat and spluttered to about 20 on Euxton hill on the way to work - frankly it was dangerous - not learning from this mistake I then bought a Honda SGX50 which coulnt be derestricted or enhanced in any way but at least did 25 on the hills - it too was a horrible experience.

Then I did my CBT and bought an RXS100 - Mucking Fagic and a world away from the 50cc, it did 55 - 60 on the flat and 40 on the hill (steep hill too) which was fine as teh hill was a 30 zone. Then I bought a 125 and that was Bucking Frilliant, then it got robbed and I got a C90 which was indestructable and still did 50MPH - all the above did just as much MPG as the 50cc bikes and cost teh same to tax and insure.

This year I went back to biking after a break of 5 years, bought an ER500 and nearly killed myself, so sold that and bought a 250 Marauder and a 125 hack for the work run - the 125 handles better and is a much nicer commuter I think and still does 90 odd to the gallon when ridden like a twat (or is that by a twat?). Honestly dont buy a 50, you will hate it.

Advice noted. I think my judgement has been coloured by a mate's brother who (circa 1996) tuned the bollocks out of his Yamaha CW50 and reckoned that 70mph was achievable...125 it is though, the bigger capacity had put me off as being too beefy for a "learner bike" but on seeing the comments here it makes sense.

Advice noted. I think my judgement has been coloured by a mate's brother who (circa 1996) tuned the bollocks out of his Yamaha CW50 and reckoned that 70mph was achievable...

I had a mate in France whose BWhizz would do 80 - it had a Polini big bore kit, expansion exhaust and hoofing great 21mm Dell'Orto carb - but to get it to do that speed he'd had to raise the gearing to basically double what it was originally, so show the thing a hill and it'd fall flat on its face. Plus it did about 30mpg and was unreliable as feck. Great fun to ride on the flat though, if a little scary above about 65...

I had a 1970 Suzuki AS 50 a few years back a nice early derestricted moped scheduled for our youngest. Till I rode it.Yep -it could manage an easy 60 (-which Ii wouldnt have believed if I hadn't done it ) - but the brakes were dire, the handling shocking and the frame wobbled like a lurcher on heat.To add insult to injury -I came off it -on a country road -when a sheep stepped out of the hedge. Just wasnt good enough for avoiding action. !Sheep undamaged, bike mendable, my leathers ripped and a filthy mood -made worse by the Mrs pissing herselfAnd yes - I do ride bikes - a old BMW K100RS (for central London) once a week, and a Honda CBR1100 - for fun. Go for a 125 -much much better, all round

GTD: sell me your X7! A mate had one new, twitchy as ferk in the wet and would power wheelie at the drop of the hat. Bloody quick thing though (at the time) and I heard of people tuning them and going through a set of pistons a month!In fact, if no-one minds, I'm going to relay an appropriate tale to go with this thread:Said mate on new X7 calls round for me with another mate on the back. 'Come on, get your bike, we're off to the pub'. Soft lad here fires up his C90 and off we go. All the bastard way there my mate's pulling wheelies and zooming past me. We get to the pub and he said (in all seriousness) 'what kept you?'. What did he fucking think kept me, holding back the spare 327 horses hidden in my C90 engine perhaps?Anyhow on the way back he's at it again: slow down, let me get past, comes flying past doing 80 odd and then pulling wheelies.By now I'm mightily pissed off and as we approach the housing estate I was living on he was behind me. Now's my chance I thought and gave the C90 some srious banking, looking down at the sparks coming off the well worn away footpegs and thinking I was cool.Until the footpeg (or possibly the stand) hit a pot hole and dug in. Cue dickhead here go flying off the bike and sliding down the road watching the road come to and away from my helmet. Then it's a blank and the nest thing I know is waking up in the middle of the road with my mates pissing themselves laughing and kicking shit out of me to bring me round and lots of concerend neighbours calling the police because they thought I'd been knocked off and was getting a good kicking. Even in hospital I saw the funny side and luckily I wasn't seriously injured.Sorry for the short aside there, it's just it still makes me laugh when I remember it.

I quite have a hankering lately for a little bike to pootle about on. A mate of my dad's has a 1964 Honda C200 (90cc) and it's a really sweet little thing. Any J-bike from the 60s or early 70s would fit the bill I suppose. Actually I also like the early 80s CB125. Very well proportined; my dad had a CB400N.At the other end of the spectrum, I've been round a lot of bike dealers for work and my eye is caught by the Yamaha R125 too. One wonders why you would get a bigger bike as this looks a bit of a flying machine anyway!EDIT: Ah 15bhp/76mph. Oh well, fast enough for me on 2 wheels!Oh...no bike licence though either :(

Actually I also like the early 80s CB125.

Had one of them for years - best bike I ever owned. VCL226X. It was a 1981 so unrestricted (about 16bhp I think) and would rev to 13,000. Great noise too for a 125. I rode that thing from Norwich to Bristol and back one Christmas (1997 if memory serves) and apart from using as much oil as petrol it didn't miss a beat.

GTD: sell me your X7! A mate had one new, twitchy as ferk in the wet and would power wheelie at the drop of the hat. Bloody quick thing though (at the time) and I heard of people tuning them and going through a set of pistons a month!

I'd consider selling it actually - it's a shame it's just sitting in the garage not being used to be honest. It's got more sentimental value to me more than anything but it's unlikely I'll ever use it (as I also have a semi-"fightered" GSX-R 750 that I shipped back from Hong Kong 7 years ago (lived there for 6 years) and guess what - I've never used it either - see the pattern forming here?)It also has a set of Allspeeds on it and K&N air filters as well as inverted ace-bars.I'm going to be back home in a couple or three weeks time so I could take some pics of it if you like?The reg is DVK873W if you want to look up the details on it..... :wink:

Allspeeds? You sir are a winner of the most epidemical proportions! Pictures please when you return and we'll see if we can sort something out if you like?

Allspeeds? You sir are a winner of the most epidemical proportions! Pictures please when you return and we'll see if we can sort something out if you like?

It would have had Microns if I hadn't fitted a Micron to the aforementioned GP100 - of course I didn't know anything about rejetting at that time - and blew a hole in the piston.When it came to getting expansions for the X7 I naturally bought Allspeeds as I thought they'd be better - of course I new about re-jetting at that point and the Microns would have been fine too ;)