New car lights - look like xmas trees!

Peter C

Back in the 70's and 80's arrogant, selfish road hogs would sneer at the daylight running lights fitted to Saabs and Volvos.

Now the same arrogant, selfish road hogs are blinding us* with daylight running lights.

When did they suddenly become "cool"?

*except on motorways when the Audi/BMW is so close to the back of your car that you can't see them.

As a bus/coach driver the first thing I do when starting at any time of the day in the depot is switch ALL the lights on - fogs, hazards, interior, the lot - and place my cashbox on the brake pedal. I then do a full walkround inside and out, if everything works I then switch off the foglights and hazard lights before leaving the depot... but I leave everything on. You'd be amazed at how many people "don't see" a bus coming, and it does now ask on our accident forms what lights were on. Less explaining to do if they're all on than all off, cos insurance companies are wanks.

In the car I normally drive with sidelights on if it's daylight/dusk, but dipped headlights if it's raining. Be seen, to be seen and all that... !

what I hate is the fucking front indicators buried in the fucking headlamp unit and usually so close to a 2 million watt LED light that you can't actually see the indicator flashing when in bright sunlight. Some cunt in an A4 nearly totalled me on a roundabout cos I couldnae see his indicators due to the fucking disco on the front of his car.....cunt

I'd happily take almost any Audi over any BMW made over the last decade. Very, very easily.

I would spend decades moving heaven and earth to make sure that my choices were NOT restricted to Audi/BMW! I would take almost ANY other car in preference. (Note the "almost" in there...) As for style, show me a modern car that has any. Any at all, even the slightest trace. Go on, I'll wait... won't be holding my breath. When I work out the pic-posting thing I'll have a story for you about that.

Must admit, after a holiday in Scandinavia, I tend to put my headlamps on much sooner than I used to. Slightest bit of gloom and I tend to have the headlamps on. Never run on sidelights to be honest - they're mere parking lights really and apart from possibly old Land Rovers (where the sidelights often seem to be brighter than the headlamps) they don't show up much.

I have to agree on the Audi thing, much as I hate to admit it. I'm still not sure about the chuffing great grilles they all seem to have nowadays, but they're about the only cars out there which still have sensibly sized / shaped headlights, and the A5 is a proper nice looking bit of kit.

I agree to some extent. I dont really like anything about Audi apart from the well engineered bits although the TT Mk2 has grown on me and the A5 isnt bad. Anyway, I walked past a parked Mondeo, 3-series and A3 about 30 times yesterday, and I was surprised to realise the the Audi was the one with the most traditional lights. None of the lights half-way down the wing/bonnet stuff - the front end didnt actually look too stupid for a modern car.

what I hate is the fucking front indicators buried in the fucking headlamp unit and usually so close to a 2 million watt LED light that you can't actually see the indicator flashing when in bright sunlight.

Agreed. I really dont like the rear light units where the indicator LEDS surround either brake lighhts/rear lights. Not easy to see.

what I hate is the fucking front indicators buried in the fucking headlamp unit and usually so close to a 2 million watt LED light that you can't actually see the indicator flashing when in bright sunlight. Some cunt in an A4 nearly totalled me on a roundabout cos I pulled out in front of him

EFA ;)

I like Audi interiors, and I quite like the way fast BMWs drive (other than the dire clutch action in most).

I think some of the new Audis are gorgeous, in 10-15 years I pretty much guarantee that they'll be lusted after in 'ere. It's just that they're more than a couple of grand to buy, so anyone who buys one now is obviously a complete cunt for having the temerity to be able to.

BMWs are just getting more and more ugly.

From the driving position in a truck, I don't have a problem with DRL's or the newfangled xenon/HID headlights. The pool of light from them, reflected on a wet road, at night can be a bit strong. But it's still the 'driving lights' that get me. Surely they should be used in conjuction with main beams? That's how I do it in the Mondy. Mains off, lamps off. Same for rain - wipers on, dips on. Simple and effective.

It's actually the LED fogs which really rile me. People have long been guilty of forgetting to switch their rear fogs off, once the fog/sheeting rain has passed. Now the new types are just brutal to be presented with, once overtaken - which at truck speeds happens fairly often - and the dingbats have no idea what I'm giving them a very quick flash of my mains for.

Top prize tho', still goes to my fellow truckers with the top and bottom light bars wired into their main beams. It's like driving into Close Encounters Of The Third Kind! Heaven help us, when more of them save up for 10+ Hella HID spots...

Must admit, after a holiday in Scandinavia, I tend to put my headlamps on much sooner than I used to. Slightest bit of gloom and I tend to have the headlamps on. Never run on sidelights to be honest - they're mere parking lights really and apart from possibly old Land Rovers (where the sidelights often seem to be brighter than the headlamps) they don't show up much.

I have had 3 dark green cars and people just pull out infront of them all the time like i am not there. Since then i have driven with my lights on in dark coloured cars.

I have no problems seeing cars in this colour but some people do, like a colour blindness in dull weather.