Wtf is going on with car insurance prices?

Flat4

2 hours ago, Dave_Q said:

Cheers, cunts.

image.png.9dd00e3f122bd90900727a2c947269d4.png

Probably not a terrible total for 3 cars, 2 drivers and a house but last years renewal (with an A4 instead of an S3 on there admittedly) was 900-odd.

Give them a ring. They'll almost certainly knock you off a few hundred quid

On 03/03/2024 at 22:59, Rust Collector said:

Admiral also provide cover for towing by default - I discovered this after phoning up because I couldn't find an option to declare my tow bar as a modification.

I thought all car insurers did. I don't think I've ever seen a policy that doesn't? It might well be that they have to, as it is something included in the licence.

In the same way that you don't get policies that stipulate that the driver can't exceed 50mph, although it's perfectly legal and normal for the car and the road.

22 hours ago, straightSix said:

Give them a ring. They'll almost certainly knock you off a few hundred quid

From shopping around I'm going to have to at least keep the van with them as I'm getting £8-900 for it anywhere else.

My wife can cover hers for £320 and the Audi I can cover for £450 elsewhere so with some dicking around I should be back somewhere reasonable.

21 hours ago, Dave_Q said:

From shopping around I'm going to have to at least keep the van with them as I'm getting £8-900 for it anywhere else.

My wife can cover hers for £320 and the Audi I can cover for £450 elsewhere so with some dicking around I should be back somewhere reasonable.

Admiral kindly put another £600 on the initial quote when I told them I got 3 points recently. With a mere 30-40 mins on the phone going through all the options I ended up renewing everything except the Audi with them for £1200 and the Audi elsewhere for £465. Still a big bump but could be worse.

Just got the renewal in for the Forester. It's normally around £400 for the year, with the bigger alloys and 4 pot front brakes declared. This year's renewal £328! 😮 Not sure how that happened but I'll take it! Haven't even tried the comparison sites because normally they can't get any where near Chris Knott.

Now just the small matter of getting the Granvia insured next month and then Paddy the Corolla renews in June.

My Tipo has been off the road since July 2023, stuck at a garage awaiting some sort of action to diagnose its FTP and fix it.  I declared it as SORN in December 2023.  Its insurance expired in January 2024 but, strangely, I did not receive the usual invitation to renew.  Luckily I checked on askMID today.  It is no longer insured. The only reason I checked was because my modern* was due for insurance renewal later this month. The email this year says 'Will not renew automatically.'  Renewal has gone from £218 (fully comp) to £365.  I thought last year's price was a bit low but this year's is a big hike.  I have decided to stick with them (paid today), mainly because shopping around is hassle and the quoted premium is not too bad for an old giffer (74) with 10 years+ no claims.  I'll visit the Fiat soon to discuss its future with the garage. 

I sold the Audi and bought the Volvo as I was dreading this years insurance hike on the combined policy for it and the Elgrand after reading all this. 

When I got the renewal through, it had gone up by a whopping £50. 😂

Still I'm saving money on tax aren't I.....

Although I've spent £400 on parts for the Volvo.🤔

Plus the terrible fuel consumption. 

And the Volvo insurance was £100 more than expected. 

Follow me for more exciting money saving tips. 

8 hours ago, cort1977 said:

two other moderns insured.

This, i've found, makes the single biggest different on an individual cars price.

I've found even on something with a ton of mods, if it's a 2nd or 3rd car, the price collapses, to the point 'buy more cars' almost becomes sound financial advice.

Was looking at a Discovery recently, £990 was the cheapest quote i could get anywhere (it had mods). That was on a singular 'This is my only car, i have 5 years NCB for use on this policy' quote.

However if i bought another car (Was considering a Skoda that came up for sale near me), put the NCB on that, took out a 2nd policy with no NCB mentioning i have another car with 5 yrs NCB, that £990 quote suddenly collapsed to £500. And given the Skoda was going to be around £600 to insure, it effectively meant i would have been getting to insure a 2nd car for £100 over just having the Disco on its own.

3 minutes ago, garbaldy said:

Well let's face it you can only drive one at a time.  

Absolutely. (And that makes total sense)

But try adding both cars on the one multicar policy.

'That'll be £2000 a year, £800 for car 1 and £1200 for car 2'. Without fail. Separate polices declaring a 2nd or 3rd car is the way to go.

I mean, if you were really devious, you could just buy a really cheap to insure runaround to stick the main policy on, buy the car you want but they are giving you a 'WTF LOL NO' price on then insure that as a 2nd car for near half the cost and probably end up saving about £400 all in AND have a 2nd car to use, effectively insured for nothing....

I had right grief getting anything half sensible for our cars when I renewed this month. Having to phone round all the brokers and companies that don’t come up on the comparison sites was a particularly miserable process.

I’ve ended up with NFU Mutual, who were excellent to deal with. I wish I’d tried them first, but I didn’t realise they did multi-car policies. The chap I dealt with was really helpful and he’s left me his details to contact him directly if I want to add/remove cars or make any other changes.

I did look at individual policies for each car but it made little to no difference in cost for my details and added the hassle of keeping track of them all, differing fees for amendments/cancellation etc. makes it not worthwhile from my previous experience of getting absolutely spanked by the likes of 1st central, esure and hastings.

23 minutes ago, Mrcento said:

But try adding both cars on the one multicar policy

Have done numerous times and always been cheeper having them separate policies for some weird reason.   I've even had a few classics that did the same so ended up insuring them separate too.  

Hastings are awful in my experience.

41 minutes ago, Mrcento said:

This, i've found, makes the single biggest different on an individual cars price.

I've found even on something with a ton of mods, if it's a 2nd or 3rd car, the price collapses, to the point 'buy more cars' almost becomes sound financial advice.

Yeah, that's very true. Once our two main cars are insured everything else is next to nothing. 

Not sure what is happening where I am, but had a look at insuring the A8 in the for sale section as I was very tempted, comparison quotes coming out at £1,200! Bearing in mind I've been paying £200-350 for the last 4 or 5 years on cars. Thought maybe the comparison sites were just anti-audi, so checked my current car and they wanted £900! Currently insured for £320 with 2 or 3 months left. No changes in my circumstances at all, address still the same, any ideas why insurance would triple for no reason???

1 hour ago, barefoot said:

Just had the renewal for the T2 - £193 up from £186 with an agreed value of £30,000, although it's time to submit new photographs and complete the daft form again. I see no point fucking about with other quotes, do you?

That's a good price, I'd certainly be happy with it mine is a lot more.

I presume that it's limited mileage.

17 hours ago, High Jetter said:

Everything else has, service wise, so y not? Not sure it's wholly justified, mind.

Don't worry I get that, given most companies say they were making a 5-15% loss last year, a 25-40% increase depending on risk of vehicle/area would make sense. But not a blanket 300% on anything😕