FOTU 2023

Ghosty

I did look at taking the van last year but struggled to find a suitable camping location nearby which had availability - which may have been somewhat down to it being a bit of a last minute decision.

I'll need to have a think about it.  I'd *like* to take TPA again given she's virtually unrecognisable compared to when she last showed up at the event in 2019.  Would definitely need a stopover then though, I just don't have the stamina to drive there, get through the show and then drive home in that car these days!

1 hour ago, Zelandeth said:

I did look at taking the van last year but struggled to find a suitable camping location nearby which had availability - which may have been somewhat down to it being a bit of a last minute decision.

I'll need to have a think about it.  I'd *like* to take TPA again given she's virtually unrecognisable compared to when she last showed up at the event in 2019.  Would definitely need a stopover then though, I just don't have the stamina to drive there, get through the show and then drive home in that car these days!

Easy way round that - take the Monaco and get @LightBulbFun to drive TPA, I'm sure he'd be only too pleased. 😜

16 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

Easy way round that - take the Monaco and get @LightBulbFun to drive TPA, I'm sure he'd be only too pleased. 😜

I was thinking about mentioning something like that LOL id be more then happy to put myself forward as a driver, if I was unable to make it myself with REV, ! im just not sure if anyone here would actually dare to give me the keys to anything on the public road LOL

because admittedly I am somewhat lacking in driving experience compared to most others on here!, I mean I would be happy to give it a shot myself, but I know others probably would not LOL

amusingly it would probably easier to sort out temporary insurance for the Monaco then it would be TPA! you know given that a computer system knows what a Renault 25 is, rather then just exploding like they do with a Model 70 LOL

or for example when they ask if its Right or left hand drive, you can just say "Right hand drive" rather than "Uhhh errm...."

but yeah in terms of most comfortable/most at home, TPA would be the one that would suit me best LOL

49 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

I was thinking about mentioning something like that LOL id be more then happy to put myself forward as a driver, if I was unable to make it myself with REV, ! im just not sure if anyone here would actually dare to give me the keys to anything on the public road LOL

because admittedly I am somewhat lacking in driving experience compared to most others on here!, I mean I would be happy to give it a shot myself, but I know others probably would not LOL

amusingly it would probably easier to sort out temporary insurance for the Monaco then it would be TPA! you know given that a computer system knows what a Renault 25 is, rather then just exploding like they do with a Model 70 LOL

or for example when they ask if its Right or left hand drive, you can just say "Right hand drive" rather than "Uhhh errm...."

but yeah in terms of most comfortable/most at home, TPA would be the one that would suit me best LOL

Irrespective of how comfortable or not you are in the car, make no mistake, a couple of hour's drive in an Invacar isn't something to be undertaken without a bit of planning.  I'd not hesitate to do it so long as I knew I had a safe space into which I could crash and recharge for a bit at the other end.  Between the noise levels, degree of forward planning necessary, continual course correction and just having to be that little bit more aware of the idiocy of other traffic a longer trip really is quite mentally taxing.  Especially if you're driving somewhere you don't know so are also having to deal with navigation.  Especially if you're me because I can't navigate for toffee.

When I did the hour-and-a-bit run over to Birmingham earlier in the year it absolutely wasn't pushing any limits or anything, but I was definitely ready to be there by the time I got to the NEC.

Given your relative inexperience driving, especially on longer trips in *any* car, I'd really not recommend it at this stage.

Just annoying how carefully I have to budget my own energy these days as it doesn't just screw me up for the one day if I overdo it, can take days to get back into the shape of a vaguely functioning human being.  As we'll be into the warmer weather again by the time this rolls around I need to be doubly careful of that as any real heat makes that ten times worse.

8 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Irrespective of how comfortable or not you are in the car, make no mistake, a couple of hour's drive in an Invacar isn't something to be undertaken without a bit of planning.  I'd not hesitate to do it so long as I knew I had a safe space into which I could crash and recharge for a bit at the other end.  Between the noise levels, degree of forward planning necessary, continual course correction and just having to be that little bit more aware of the idiocy of other traffic a longer trip really is quite mentally taxing.  Especially if you're driving somewhere you don't know so are also having to deal with navigation.  Especially if you're me because I can't navigate for toffee.

When I did the hour-and-a-bit run over to Birmingham earlier in the year it absolutely wasn't pushing any limits or anything, but I was definitely ready to be there by the time I got to the NEC.

Given your relative inexperience driving, especially on longer trips in *any* car, I'd really not recommend it at this stage.

Just annoying how carefully I have to budget my own energy these days as it doesn't just screw me up for the one day if I overdo it, can take days to get back into the shape of a vaguely functioning human being.  As we'll be into the warmer weather again by the time this rolls around I need to be doubly careful of that as any real heat makes that ten times worse.

indeed pretty much all of that is sadly applicable to me, 

so of course a fair bit of planning would be made and id only attempt such a trip after I had gained confidence in myself and the car

a few people have suggested that once ready I just go up to Red5 and drive her back down, but for the reasons we have both stated, I much rather have her transported back home and then build up confidence and experience by doing local trips about then building up from there :) 

the only thing I have going for me, is I do at least know in a worst case situation, what my limits are, from all the driving lessons I have had, I know that in a very physically painful and mentally taxing situation I manage about 2 hours before I really would have to stop and rest/recuperate (driving lessons where 2 hours a pop here in London because in an hour you would never get anywhere LOL and I can tell that)

thus thats how I plan to plan any big trip i might want to undertake, break it up into 2 hour sections (if not more more frequently) having a good rest period at the end of each section

I also do know that driving REV even in London (from my brief couple trips out to the chippy and back) I am far more relaxed and at ease then I was during any of my driving lessons 

so I am hoping that will help alleviate things somewhat! (as being all anxious physically causes me to also tense up and that causes me a lot of pain)

that could be one of the reasons I find REV so surprisingly comfortable, in that in REV I am always very relaxed, in my own little box, that I am all very familiar with, compared to when I drive someone elses car there is always a degree of "I am driving someone else pride and joy dont break it!" and a varying degree of unfamiliarity, thus ill always tense up a bit in such situations

where as in REV ill be a lot more relaxed and physically less tensed up :) 

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Bump

Getting close now.  Sold out for classic and modern. 

Who's going? I am although no idea which car will be working at that point 

Estelle will be touch and go , Panda needs an MOT, Favorit not driven anywhere for a long time but is MOTd now, XM is working to an extent but I took that last year

20230610_211701.jpg

20230514_124900.jpg

20220718_201146.jpg

4 minutes ago, meggersdog said:

@Spottedlaurel we are booked in at Stamford meadows again this year.

Cheers. Stamford was good, somehow it worked out that we were passing through. Tempted to come along in something, does it get booked-up quickly?

Back to FOTU, I can't make it this year as we're back to an early holiday so won't be around. But the dates work nicely for some sort of autojumble and show that's 20 minutes from where we're staying in France......

6 minutes ago, Spottedlaurel said:

Cheers. Stamford was good, somehow it worked out that we were passing through. Tempted to come along in something, does it get booked-up quickly?

Back to FOTU, I can't make it this year as we're back to an early holiday so won't be around. But the dates work nicely for some sort of autojumble and show that's 20 minutes from where we're staying in France......

Sunday August 27, although the show is free they ask for a £5.00 donation to the roundtable. It's organised by Stamford roundtable. There is a car show rally which takes in the sights. This is £27.00. Not sure if it's booked up already but details here stamfordcarshow.co.uk . 

My plan had been to bring the 25, though with that having decided in the last couple of weeks to be oil rather than water cooled that's now looking unlikely.  Looks like the Rover may end up being backup, though it wasn't really particularly unexceptional in its time...or the Invacar.  Though it's not exactly a short trip for that car...

7 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

My plan had been to bring the 25, though with that having decided in the last couple of weeks to be oil rather than water cooled that's now looking unlikely.  Looks like the Rover may end up being backup, though it wasn't really particularly unexceptional in its time...or the Invacar.  Though it's not exactly a short trip for that car...

how quickly do you think you can get a tow bar (and borrow a trailer) for the P4?, that would make for quite the spectacle! :) 

(although I am always in favour of Invacars being driven to where they need to go of course :) )