THE GUBBERMINT ALWAYS KNOWS BEST

Rather exiting news today - I had to spend £130 odd pounds on a single bloody tyre.

Nevertheless it gives me an excuse to post a photograph of the '87 models on the fleet.

..That's quite a lot of money to lay out on a single tyre, was it a metric one or something?

No it's a 225/50 ZR 16 N1

where N1 is the compound.

Oh yes, I forgot about the 'N' Porsche tyres.

Golf work: Both driveshafts bolted up, bizarrely jacking the car up and down, putting the wheel on one lock then the other, jacking the engine up after removing the n/s mount bolt, lowering car, turning wheel and various repetitions of them all led to the n/s driveshaft just plopping into place. It had been about 3mm too long all that time, I moved the steering wheel and found it was about 8-10mm the other way. Result!

Also put all the belts back on, tightened all the engine mounts, double checked everything, buggered off to the scrapyard and got one of the metal water pipes that always rot through and seem like the worst idea in the world, and then braced myself for the first start.

Arse. Battery is flat.

I've been out and bought a jump pack but it needs charging overnight.

O/S outer headlight on my E30 is half full of water , Ive removed it ( easy job :D ) and drained the water out , But can you dry it out any sence , can you fuck :evil: , eventually resorted to a bit of wire with a rag tapped to it and Mrs RPs hairdrier , ive attempted to stop the rain getting in using Captain Tolleys creaping crack cure then some bathroom sealant ,

Hella , Why make headlights you cant clean or dry out you baffoons ,

Only time will tell if this works

Oh deep joy. The fucking hateful bastarding Passat has sprung yet another leak. This time it's the n/s/r footwell which resembles a swimming pool. I think it's due to the panel 'thing' under the battery being blocked so hoping it's ten minute job to do.

It's a pain in the bleeding arse though and I'm getting really pissed off with the sodding thing, it's quite possibly the worse made car I've owned which is quite some going considering the absolute shit I've owned in the past. If I could afford to I'd honestly set about the whole car with a sledgehammer and weigh it in. Build quality my arse, it's fucking shit.

Bernard fixed and running today. Just need to bleed the brakes and replace the front right Brake piston to stop it pulling.

Micra needed tweaking so finally tried to fix the drivers window and used metal putty stuff to fix the glass in the runners. Will see if it will work. Also replace the coolant bottle which has become like egg shell.

Xantia looks like it has LHM leak somewhere at the front. Hoping it is simple

I've been pissing around with my Landcrab today, the MOT has run out on it. I've replaced a knackered CV boot and drive coupling and ordered another coupling for the other side. I've also established that the indicator switch is bolloxed, some terminals have snapped off it causing main beam not to work. Thats about £30 to replace, plus £60 or so for a pair of new tyres and £45 for the test itself, which basically means i cant afford to get on with it for a couple of weeeks. Also the steering rack is weeping some fluid out, is that a test fail?

This is what you get i suppose for driving your old motor all year without doing any maintenance on it of any sort.

Leaky rack is probably an advise rather than a fail, as long as gaiters aren't split or theres mega amounts of play. Actually, just had a look at the online manual and even split gaiters should pass (with an advise) if there's no excess play.

Today I managed to replace the shonky offside wishbone on my Astra. Piece of piss, don't know why I put it off for so long.

Our Saab 900NG on the other hand is being quite the shit. Still can't find the reason for its unstable idle and constant stalling when slowing down.

My 900 (classic) is being a PITA at the moment too. Ever since I bought it back it's had a tendency to stall when slowing down, and recently it's started running on 3 as well - it runs on 4 when first started, but then after a couple of minutes it starts to lose one of the cylinders. I've replaced the distributor cap and tried new leads to no avail - next thing on the list is plugs, but it's got those platinum-tipped plugs that are supposed to last eleventy million miles and they cost a fugging fortune, and I don't want to fork out unless I know for a fact that doing so will cure the problem. So I might just buy a set of cheap standard plugs and fit them to see what happens.

The Justy is now (in theory) ready for a test and once it's passed it will be taking the mantle of daily driver from the Innocenti. It's not as economical as the Innocenti, but I can overtake stuff in the Justy, so it's swings and roundabouts.

Took the Skoda round the block today for the first time in ages - it seems to be driving OK and all the lights and wipers and shizz are all behaving at the moment. I should really take it for a bit of a run to check everything's shipshape but I really need to do an oil change before I do as the oil in the sump still looks like Bailey's from when the head gasket went, and I don't really want to do that as the sump plug was cross-threaded by a previous owner and is an absolute PITA to get to seal properly, so guaranteed it's going to be pouring oil over my driveway for weeks afterwards. I'm going to have to do it at some point though... :?

Made a start on chopping out the grot and old patches on the Sceptre... C U L8ER MIG WIRE!

Picture007-1.jpg

Picture009-1.jpg

Picture008-1.jpg

Picture011-1.jpg

Rot01.jpg

Rot02.jpg

Essential tool...

Picture010-1.jpg

I also swapped the oil filter, as the old stock Unipart one I fitted seemed to be draining back. It hadn't been started for a few months, took a bit of churning to get the fuel through but ran nice. I think the f*ck off £90 battery was a good investment.

My 900 (classic) is being a PITA at the moment too. Ever since I bought it back it's had a tendency to stall when slowing down, and recently it's started running on 3 as well - it runs on 4 when first started, but then after a couple of minutes it starts to lose one of the cylinders. I've replaced the distributor cap and tried new leads to no avail - next thing on the list is plugs, but it's got those platinum-tipped plugs that are supposed to last eleventy million miles and they cost a fugging fortune, and I don't want to fork out unless I know for a fact that doing so will cure the problem. So I might just buy a set of cheap standard plugs and fit them to see what happens.

:?

Saab C900's only like NGK. Dont know why but they do. Any other plugs ends up giving you hassle. I had some really fancy ones in, and the car hated it. Took them back and got NGK (BCP7EV I think) and all was fine and dandy. Stalling can be the throttle body needing a damn good clean with some carb cleaner and toothbrush.

:?

Saab C900's only like NGK. Dont know why but they do. Any other plugs ends up giving you hassle. I had some really fancy ones in, and the car hated it. Took them back and got NGK (BCP7EV I think) and all was fine and dandy. Stalling can be the throttle body needing a damn good clean with some carb cleaner and toothbrush.

It's got a full set of BCP7EVXs in it at the moment. No. 4 is rather sooty-looking though so I reckon that's the one that's been misfiring, but whether it's due to the plug itself or something else I don't know yet (although I'm not sure what else it could be at this stage). I'll try giving the throttle body a clean once I've got the thing back running on 4 and see if it helps the stalling.