The grumpy thread

outlaw118

im okay - stiff neck - but mostly okay

they seemed okay too, driver got out and ran towards screaming that it was my fault, GF stayed in the car, but she seemed okay too

traffic cop said he would have had plenty of opportunity to see me while sitting at the junction, its a 60 mph road, and yet he obviously didnt look properly before pulling out. i came over the brow of the hill and he was sat at the junction, then he pulled out in front of me, leaving me nowhere to go.

DSCF3774.jpg

Here's my pic ;D I wasn't going to mention it first!

Notice the skid-mark measuring copper - he didn't seem to think autofive was at fault either.

I'm sorry to have to report that that the cortina has shoved its subframe back and the megane drove away looking fairly undamaged. I bet they get a shock when they remove the bumper/try to open the tailgate though.

neck pain has gone now, just a slight headache

on another grumpy note

need to shuffle a lot of cars around tomorrow before starting the scimitar, just checked the weather forecast: Thundery showers all day :(

I had to shuffle 5 cars just to get the truck out (monday's scimitar was still on the back of the truck) so yes, it's going to be fun. Good job most of them drive.

On another note, would you like a nice set of bullbars making up? I have experience in this area...

does "fault" matter in the UK?

Very much so, although a lot of people don't realise it. Keeping your no-claims bonus depends on whether you are at fault. In anything but the most clear-cut cases, insurance companies will usually strive to make everything a 50-50 claim, which means premium increases for both drivers involved, more money for the industry! That's probably a key reason why comprehensive insurance is much more widely available than third-party, and why "legal services" cover is both highly advertised and cheaply priced (if not already included in a policy)- they want to have as much control of the process as possible in order to be able to shaft you on every corner!

As others have said, sorry about the Tina, A5, glad you're all gonna be ok though.

The Rover's rad bodge seems to all good, but here's the grump: the clutch is on its way out big style. No fun to drive now.

I can find a kit for about £40 delivered (should I hunt down cheaper?) but I'd like to know how many hours of labour I'd be charged to fit it. Any idea? It should be as simple as owt being an R8 214. Ta.

Edit: C U L8R BL Wedge, I R now Citroen Ami :)

Computers again

Laptop got the blue screen of death today so im trying to get my desktop back on the net. The dvd drive broke ages ago but now i need it to install software for the usb wireless adaptor. Plugged it all in but now i just get a "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device". If i disconnect the dvd drive it will boot as normal.

Gone into bios to change to boot order but if the dvd drive is connected i only get the option of booting the floppy first, the hard drive doesnt appear. Fucks sake!

It really is sod all to celebrate but we're up to nearly 1,000 pages of grumpiness now. In fact that actually makes me grumpy in a way. Time for some happier car related threads and posts methinks.

I have had loads of people pull out of junctions at the last minute when they see an "old" car motoring towards them. "Got to get out infront of this old crock so he won't hold me up". Bellends.

May be hard to defend your case when you drove into the back of him though, as that usually makes it automatically your fault in the eyes of many people, although from the pics there's obviously much more to it than that!

Good to hear everyone was OK though- shame to see another 'tina bite the dust :(.

Computers again

Laptop got the blue screen of death today so im trying to get my desktop back on the net. The dvd drive broke ages ago but now i need it to install software for the usb wireless adaptor. Plugged it all in but now i just get a "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device". If i disconnect the dvd drive it will boot as normal.

Gone into bios to change to boot order but if the dvd drive is connected i only get the option of booting the floppy first, the hard drive doesnt appear. Fucks sake!

Your DVD drive is borked, NC, and it's jammimg up the IDE interface. Take it out and bin it, or you'll fuck up the motherboard too.

Also (rather than bollocks about finding the right jumper):

1. Disconect the PC from the mains.

2. Look on the motherboard for a CR2016/CR2032 watch type battery

3. Take it out

4. Drink tea

5. Plug pc back in WITHOUT battery

6. Switch on, and you'll get a message like "CMOS SETTINGS NOT SET" or whatever. Shut down

7. Replace battery

8. The same message like "CMOS SETTINGS NOT SET" will appear. Follow the on screen prompt and just set the clock.

9. Save CMOS settings and continue. Your PC may save a CMOS hardware log, and it might have stored messages about the IDE controller which would cause probs down the line.

RE the USB wireless adapter - can you not just plug a CAT5 in and download the wireless driver that way?

May be hard to defend your case when you drove into the back of him though, as that usually makes it automatically your fault in the eyes of many people, although from the pics there's obviously much more to it than that!

I suppose the fact that they pulled from a secondary road onto a main road would be in his favour. Surely the police report will provide evidence in his favour.

Looks a nasty one glad you are okay though and great shame about the car. :(

May be hard to defend your case when you were driving an old car, as that usually makes it automatically your fault in the eyes of many people, although from the pics there's obviously much more to it than that!

EFA. "In a new car, he'd have been able to stop because it would have ABS and all sorts of other things that make you safe, innit". The driver was probably having an argument with his passenger and just pulled out... :-(:(

Thanks ashmicro, the dvd drive is brand new so hopefully ill have time to pop back to the place i got it from tomorrow. It still has a pci network adaptor with a broken antenna but i need to drill out the casing rivets to get it. Then theres the previous utterly useless software from the old wirless adaptor, which you need to be online to uninstall (great logic there). I can only get online now with my phone and xbox neither of which will download drivers.

The whole thing is the computing version of a "drive until the MOT runs out" car

Damn A5! Sorry to see that. Not nice being in an accident, I should know.

At least your Ok and everyone else was. Stick to your arguement, dont let the Megane lot win.

'OMG, THAT OLD CAR WILL BE CRAWLING ALONG, BETTER GET OUT IN FRONT OF IT...'

Sadly that seems to be the attitude of many drivers today, not just with old cars, but small cars too, if I take the K11 Micra out I can almost certainly guarantee someone will pull a seriously dangerous manouvre just to get in front of me, If they cant they usually try and bully me out of the way by flashing thier lights and tailgating me. Sign o' the times I'm afraid.

they usually try and bully me out of the way by flashing thier lights and tailgating me. Sign o' the times I'm afraid.

that's why i have a pile of 1p coins in my car....it's amazing how they back off when the queens head is chipping at their paintwork :D

they usually try and bully me out of the way by flashing thier lights and tailgating me. Sign o' the times I'm afraid.

that's why i have a pile of 1p coins in my car....it's amazing how they back off when the queens head is chipping at their paintwork :D

great idea :D

Thanks for the concern everyone, but im okay and the Cortina only owes me around 400 quid, so im not damaged financially either - thats the beauty of running shite, instead of a 25K shiny car on the never-never

I'm coming to this one late but I'm glad you're ok. Shame about the car though, I believe they're not making Cortinas any more. :(

The one that irritates me (on the subject of being overtaken in old cars) is when someone overtakes me when I'm driving at the 30 limit then proceeds to sit in front of me at 45 when the limit increases to 60. Why do that?

I'm coming to this one late but I'm glad you're ok. Shame about the car though, I believe they're not making Cortinas any more. :(

The one that irritates me (on the subject of being overtaken in old cars) is when someone overtakes me when I'm driving at the 30 limit then proceeds to sit in front of me at 45 when the limit increases to 60. Why do that?

ahh the taxi-habit - it seems all taxis like to travel everywhere at 50mph, in a 30mph zone, or a 60mph road.

whats more annoying when driving an old car is the number of times i pull out to overtake someone, get alongside and then they decide to speed up