The grumpy thread

outlaw118

5 hours ago, Spiny Norman said:

Believe me, I've tried. I don't have all the information they need for the claim and of course I'm not going to get it from Asda.

Worth going to an in-store help desk and camp out until they get bored looking at you.

30 minutes ago, somewhatfoolish said:

Worth going to an in-store help desk and camp out until they get bored looking at you.

Surely just filling a trolley and walking out is how it's done these days?

11 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Seems it must be somewhat dependent on the system in question.

I just out of sheer curiosity tried it here and it worked fine.  Firefox last updated this morning according to the logs.  This is on a Linux host though, so no idea how different things might be with regards to the inner workings of the browser.  My curiosity didn't extend as far as rebooting into Windows and no doubt having to install a couple of dozen updates, to see if it was working as well.

It's doing the exact same thing on my Android tablet.

1 hour ago, somewhatfoolish said:

I tried that in Comet once when they wouldn’t refund me something with a three year guarantee because I didn’t have the box. Who keeps a box three years ffs?

I just stood by the entrance telling people not to buy anything because they don’t honour guarantees. No one turned away or even asked me about it. More interested in the instant gratification of spending £2k on a telly.

Any way my wife getting more and more embarrassed dragged me away.

Not absolutely sure whether this should be in the other thread, because I'm perversely enjoying people losing their shit about this. 

I live right next door to a level crossing on a railway line into Wales (sadly about a mile outside God's own country so I don't get free prescriptions or Bara Brith). Anyway Network Rail decided that the level crossing needed completely ripping out and replacing, quite a major task even on a single track line. They started the works last Friday which obviously involved closing the crossing and the road that runs over it (until Wednesday when they can finish off the resurfacing).

Oh the drama... The village Faceache page is chocka with people whinging about not been able to get through, not been able to take their kids to school or get to work. There are still two ways out of the village on either side of the crossing, and a five/ten minute detour will get anyone where they need to go. Or they can use the booted bony things on end of each of their legs should they need to go somewhere in the other of crossing (which is open to foot traffic).  The irony with this is that amongst the only people not moaning are the two families that live directly next to the crossing where all the noise (night works) was going on*.

I'm not going to mention that they got to close the road again in a few months time to replace the tracks as well...

*The noise used to really annoy me, but happily I invested in a set of super duper noise cancelling earbuds for me and mrs Warch. Not cheap at 6 quid a pair (although you can pay ten times that) but absolutely gamechangingly effective at cancelling out things like Stihl saws, tracked machinery, reversing beepers and concrete breaking right outside my bedroom window at three in the morning.