The grumpy thread

outlaw118

1 hour ago, castros_bro said:

20240627_101214.jpg.a64610efd0f941624cbb33222c03e1eb.jpg

20240627_101207.jpg.b3b7cc08e3749278cd28703adcf0da9a.jpg

Transformers - Robots in Disguise

Caterpillar Boots - Slippers in Disguise?
Be the first, beat the rest, own the world's #1 Work Slippers - Buy Caterpillar!

• Haha 2

I'm grumpy because over the last 2 weeks my wallet has been continually raped by things failing. First my Invertor Charger went tits skyward, £500, then my injector pump followed, £500. then I needed new start batteries, £200, then a blow out, tyre £245, then the alternator, got a new one, no good out of the box, £236. I'll have to send the dud one back but meanwhile had to get another one, £175. Ffs. I'm well pissed off. Grrrrrr and stuff!!

On 20/06/2024 at 20:18, Mrcento said:

Update, i was giving them too much credit thinking they'd just taken a scunner to me for no reason and blocked me.

They finally replied to me.

To tell me it's sold. Like a final fuck you, we never even blocked you for fuck all, we now just want you to know we were just ignoring you the entire fucking time then sold it to someone else despite the fact it was obvious how much you wanted it and were clearly willing to pay.

So they were just being ignorant cunts all along.

5 days of chasing, when i literally could have had the thing at any point that suited them in minutes, even paid in full, hassle free, if they'd just fucking answered at any point over the best part of a week.

I was that fucking desperate for that car, if they'd just said 'Look, i've had a lot of interest at the asking price' i'd have went above it just to secure it. That's the stage of desperation/exasperation i'm at for something, But no, they just couldn't be normal and reply.

Probably done themselves out of several hundred quid and sent the car to its demise in the process to someone that won't be able to get parts and will either just scrap it or ruin it in a field as a toy.

I'm just so fucking done with people and cars. Completely done. Mentally fried. As stupid as it sounds this one has really hit me into a bad place, ffs.

Its sad to say but this is why I avoid going out... people. Utterly ignorant and downright dumb 99% of the time.

• Agree 3

On 03/10/2019 at 14:06, Wack said:

Fucking pension companies 

It seems yes you can access your pension at 55 , but you now need "financial advice" before you're allowed to withdraw any of it , even the 25% tax free amount

The cost of this advice from the pension company 3% of the pension pot , so £300 per £10,000 

What a bunch of cunts they are 

holy thread resurection !!

justhaving a stare at my NEST pension and I have cashed it in , load of shite , never wanted it because I had my own deferred  final salary pension which I now draw, but I got auto enrolled into the NEST at the time despite voicing my choices .  I managed to cancel the first auto enrollment but the 2nd one 4 years later got me ..

its incredible how NEST  have taken charges and reduced  the cash sum , but my deferred serps lump sum with a bank has continued to grow and offers quite a nice income every year in comparison , or a big draw down ... I cant help thinking a lot of NEST customers will be really pissed off in the future .

would be nice if I could complain about the auto enrollment , the ongoing charges , and the taxation . 

hope  they do have  a leaving survey .....

The 159 has apparently munched through another tripod joint. Called my mechanic friend who laughed and will try deferring some other poor soul and slot me in for tomorrow. I’ll start adding them as regular service items to avoid being aggravated by them constantly failing. Service consumables - engine oil, filters, gearbox oil so M32 doesn’t blow up again, tripod joints. 🙄

I love that car, but it’s begging to be traded in for something else.

• Sad 2

On 25/06/2024 at 06:15, iainrcz said:

Have had to constantly fight the urge to slap the Mrs' arse whilst she's sleeping.

I fondle my wife's while she's asleep (there's enough of it). It makes her smile when she's asleep.

11 hours ago, IronStar said:

The 159 has apparently munched through another tripod joint. Called my mechanic friend who laughed and will try deferring some other poor soul and slot me in for tomorrow. I’ll start adding them as regular service items to avoid being aggravated by them constantly failing. Service consumables - engine oil, filters, gearbox oil so M32 doesn’t blow up again, tripod joints. 🙄

I love that car, but it’s begging to be traded in for something else.

Grumpy to grumpy - his garage was flooded last night because Belgrade's outskirts drainage is ridiculous. 🤦‍♂️

• Sad 3

Our AA Cover auto-renewed a month ago.  No notifications, nothing.  I realised last night and my partner checked her bank account.  They'd taken over 500 Quid.

Managed to claw the vast majority of it back for exactly the same cover.  Ironically, for less than we were paying last year.  But they are not on the Christmas list or indeed the renewal list for next year...

• Sad 3

Had this letter from RM:

RMletter.jpg.c1707a8c418e8a0007b1593b4734cea6.jpg

As residents of this cul-de-sac we've not had any bother from seagulls, although one neighbour on the other side has had a problem in her garden with them. Is this a common problem, @Yoss and the other posties?

56 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

Had this letter from RM:

As residents of this cul-de-sac we've not had any bother from seagulls, although one neighbour on the other side has had a problem in her garden with them. Is this a common problem, @Yoss and the other posties?

There's an irony in the fact that they still managed to deliver the letter...

1 hour ago, High Jetter said:

Had this letter from RM:

@High Jetter's postman, earlier

Seagull (@Angry_Gull) / X

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Stanky said:

@High Jetter's postman, earlier

Seagull (@Angry_Gull) / X

I assume this picture was taken by the bird in the bottom right corner doing a selfie. 

It's certainly a new one on me. I've seen lots of reasons for not delivering the mail but never that. Couldn't the postie go in with a bag of chips. 

35 minutes ago, Yoss said:

Couldn't the postie go in with a Machine gun

I despise seagulls.

Today's grump.  Looking to purchase a Triumph Spitfire (not for me I should add).  Found one on ebay, looks ok.  Seller has the ridiculous requirement of a £500 deposit to be paid at end of auction.  It's against ebay Ts&Cs, and against any and all advice ever for buying a car to do that.  So I of course ignored it and bid anyway, expecting to tell the seller I would be arriving on X date, with money to buy the car, and wouldn't be buggering about.

Seller gets on the phone and gives me a load of old shit about the fact that I am "violating HIS terms and conditions" and that by not paying it's giving me an "unfair advantage" over other bidders.  All utter horseshit.  We went round and round in circles for a while, untill I ask if I can just turn up and buy the bloody thing.  "no, it's the principle of the matter now".

Oh do get fucked.  I know selling a car is a ballache and sellers get pissed about all the time, but all I wanted to do was turn up, check the car matches the description and photos, pay the man and take it away.  Not difficult, surely?

Turns out it is.

Wanker.

ARSEBISCUITS.

The wife and I were travelling to Morrisons for a breakfast when we were bumped in slow moving traffic. No idea how fast the guy was going but it made a tremendous  bang and if it wasn’t for the wife’s quick reactions would’ve shunted us the backside of the Jaguar F pace in front.

We were all ok, although I was bloody furious. By the time the driver of the other car had got out I’d calmed somewhat, accidents happen don’t they? The boot is a bit crunched up but opens and closes more or less OK, the bumper has taken a hit but was a bit buggered already, I haven’t checked underneath but I’d be surprised if there’s anything folded up under there. The Clio has bent its bonnet, split its bumper and maybe more behind. 

The driver was very apologetic but as I watched him drive his car up the kerb to swap details he had his phone in his hand, texting? Pretty common in stop-start traffic. 

As nobody was injured he’s agreed to pay for a replacement boot lid rather than going through the insurance which would involve excesses and probably writing cars off. If anyone knows to one to a silver boot lid let me know! It’s for a 2007 Jazz in NH642M. 

IMG_6692.jpeg

IMG_6693.jpeg

42 minutes ago, Talbot said:

I despise seagulls.

Today's grump.  Looking to purchase a Triumph Spitfire (not for me I should add).  Found one on ebay, looks ok.  Seller has the ridiculous requirement of a £500 deposit to be paid at end of auction.  It's against ebay Ts&Cs, and against any and all advice ever for buying a car to do that.  So I of course ignored it and bid anyway, expecting to tell the seller I would be arriving on X date, with money to buy the car, and wouldn't be buggering about.

Seller gets on the phone and gives me a load of old shit about the fact that I am "violating HIS terms and conditions" and that by not paying it's giving me an "unfair advantage" over other bidders.  All utter horseshit.  We went round and round in circles for a while, untill I ask if I can just turn up and buy the bloody thing.  "no, it's the principle of the matter now".

Oh do get fucked.  I know selling a car is a ballache and sellers get pissed about all the time, but all I wanted to do was turn up, check the car matches the description and photos, pay the man and take it away.  Not difficult, surely?

Turns out it is.

Wanker.

This one?

"A CONTACT NUMBER WITHIN 10 MINUTES AND A £500 NON-REFUNDABLE HOLDING DEPOSIT WITHIN 12 HOURS TO SECURE PURCHASE"

With that first condition he obviously doesn't want to sell it.

Maybe his missus is insisting that he does and this is his way of thwarting her with very little chance of her finding out?

34 minutes ago, Lankytim said:

ARSEBISCUITS.

The wife and I were travelling to Morrisons for a breakfast when we were bumped in slow moving traffic. No idea how fast the guy was going but it made a tremendous  bang and if it wasn’t for the wife’s quick reactions would’ve shunted us the backside of the Jaguar F pace in front.

We were all ok, although I was bloody furious. By the time the driver of the other car had got out I’d calmed somewhat, accidents happen don’t they? The boot is a bit crunched up but opens and closes more or less OK, the bumper has taken a hit but was a bit buggered already, I haven’t checked underneath but I’d be surprised if there’s anything folded up under there. The Clio has bent its bonnet, split its bumper and maybe more behind. 

The driver was very apologetic but as I watched him drive his car up the kerb to swap details he had his phone in his hand, texting? Pretty common in stop-start traffic. 

As nobody was injured he’s agreed to pay for a replacement boot lid rather than going through the insurance which would involve excesses and probably writing cars off. If anyone knows to one to a silver boot lid let me know! It’s for a 2007 Jazz in NH642M. 

IMG_6692.jpeg

IMG_6693.jpeg

I hope you still exchanged full details and made sure they actually existed.  I'd not be at all surprised if they immediately vanish off the face of the earth when asked to cough up any money unless chased through insurance etc.

Also do take a proper look underneath before dismissing it as being just a bootlid and bumper.  It doesn't take much at all to bend things on cars of this era, as they're specifically designed TO deform in key areas in an accident to protect the occupants.

Plastic bumpers like that can do a really good job of hiding what shape the crash structure under them is in.  On the plus side, he's almost definitely done plenty more damage to that Clio than you can see, so hopefully gets what they deserve if they were on their bloody phone.

On 19/06/2024 at 20:01, mercedade said:

Missed out on the house I was trying to buy. 

Houses for sale in my village/town are rare things, and this one was a bit weird. Shabby ('potential') but in a weird leasehold arrangement which might have complicated making improvements. 

Went for less than I could afford, but more than I wanted to pay, so feeling conflicted about my valuation skills. 

Was it on a 999 year lease (ie a virtual freehold)?  It's worth having a legal at the title documents before walking away.  I can download them for you if you want (£3).  Just a thought.  Happy to help, am in the property game (not an estate agent, more on the land side but nevertheless happy to help if it means you secure a property you want).

pm me if you like.  No bother if not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The XC70 has had a belt squeal for the last week or so.  I had a look and saw the tensioner wasn't happy and the A/C  stretch belt looked rather old so I changed them, the aux belt looked fairly new however so I refitted that.  Cranked the car up and it still squeals like a pig at an Eton dinner party.  Turns out someone has fitted a belt 20mm longer than the original, so back apart and a new belt fitted, normal service resumed, I must confess it was a bit of a twat to get the proper sized belt on the first time, I wonder if it had been wrong routed previously.

Whilst in the mood, I pulled the cabin filter out although I was fairly confident that it'd be reasonably new, the car is not far off wanting a small service.  

@Marshall2810's dad had it serviced in 2023 and the garage had written on the service book "all filters changed".  Well, unless they were using Volvo OEM parts, they didn't change the cabin filter. Things like this sadly aren't uncommon, I know from the Mitsubishi ASX that had been to the main dealer 6 times and STILL managed to come to me 13 years down the line with the original date stamped cabin filter fitted. These parts are £10 - £20 so someone is on a nice little earner somewhere.  I know when I was at a main dealer coolant was only booked out as 1l at a time, so I'd often 'round up' the remains and keep one or two unopened bottles back to swap for parts for my car come stock take time.

Luckily I'd ordered a carbon filter and oil filter so as to give the old girl a little attention before using her full time, so again I changed it.  It just really pisses me off as a former mechanic that there are so many lazy garages out there who will cut corners.

*** EDIT:- I just want to reiterate I have no issue with Marshall2810 or his dad or anything to do with how the car was sold, apologies to both parties if it read that way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My week included an unidentified dickwad hitting my car and disappearing into Morrisons to shop. 
No use doing anything about insurance.  
So left Postits. 

IMG_9791.jpeg

IMG_9787.jpeg

IMG_9788.jpeg

IMG_9790.jpeg

22 hours ago, MikeR said:

holy thread resurection !!

justhaving a stare at my NEST pension and I have cashed it in , load of shite , never wanted it because I had my own deferred  final salary pension which I now draw, but I got auto enrolled into the NEST at the time despite voicing my choices .  I managed to cancel the first auto enrollment but the 2nd one 4 years later got me ..

its incredible how NEST  have taken charges and reduced  the cash sum , but my deferred serps lump sum with a bank has continued to grow and offers quite a nice income every year in comparison , or a big draw down ... I cant help thinking a lot of NEST customers will be really pissed off in the future .

would be nice if I could complain about the auto enrollment , the ongoing charges , and the taxation . 

hope  they do have  a leaving survey .....

My advisor has said to keep my work nest pension as the returns are good and fees are low.

9 hours ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

Our AA Cover auto-renewed a month ago.  No notifications, nothing.  I realised last night and my partner checked her bank account.  They'd taken over 500 Quid.

Managed to claw the vast majority of it back for exactly the same cover.  Ironically, for less than we were paying last year.  But they are not on the Christmas list or indeed the renewal list for next year...

You've got to watch em. I never do auto renew. 2 years ago we still had a landline - the RAC were ringing me every other day asking why I didn't want to pay twice as much as last year. Strangely they came down to the previous years price...

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, ruffgeezer said:

The latest episode of cunts not doing things right.  

The XC70 has had a belt squeal for the last week or so.  I had a look and saw the tensioner wasn't happy and the A/C  stretch belt looked rather old so I changed them, the aux belt looked fairly new however so I refitted that.  Cranked the car up and it still squeals like a pig at an Eton dinner party.  Turns out someone has fitted a belt 20mm longer than the original, so back apart and a new belt fitted, normal service resumes - air con still shit.

Whilst in the mood, I pulled the cabin filter out fairly confident that it'd be reasonably new.  After all, @Marshall2810's dad's garage have written on the last service "all filters changed".  Well, unless they were using Volvo OEM parts, the didn't change that one as it looked grufty as all hell.

Luckily I'd ordered a carbon filter and oil filter so as to give the old girl a little attention before using her full time, so again I changed it.  It just really pisses me off as a former mechanic that there are so many lazy gits out there who will cut corners.

I have no idea if this passive aggressive moan is a pop at Dads mechanic, Dads description of the car, my integrity having listed the car or all of them?

As you've tagged me publicly rather than by PM I assume you want to make a point and everyone aware rather than provide a friendly watch out so thanks for that. 

I'll certainly let Dad know but doubt they'll be falling out over a cabin filter. If I'd take a naive guess he will have meant the air, oil and fuel filter. I'm not making excuses having only met him once and have no idea of his level of competence professional or otherwise. Feel free to PM me with your bank details so I can reimburse you for the said filter if you feel short changed on the deal.

I'm sorry you've had the issues with the belt and tensioner (which fitting may well have pre-dated his ownership) and the shit air con you've had to endure. Hopefully you can bring the old girl up to the desired standard so it provides you with years of service as it's done for our family.