The grumpy thread

outlaw118

Ps plus is well worth the money its 100 quid/yr and gives access to a huge catalogue of games, plenty of AA rated games in there too, xbox is exactly the same for multiplayer and game pass offers similar benefits.

todays kick in the slats , just had a chance to check the exhaust onthe C1 and its snapped off at the rear box ..

its my fault ..

cant get a new one till Tuesday ...

anyway the old rear box came off ok and just a new clamp needed for the joint ..

23 hours ago, horriblemercedes said:

Is there a mode of transport that is worse than trains? 

I haven't been on one for years and today is reminding me why

A good train journey is absolutely the best way to travel. Unfortunately there aren't many of those left in this country anymore.

This was a trip from Brno to Prague last year. Even at 5.30 in the morning the restaurant car was open and practically empty. So I had their version of a full English (they were giant baked beans and the sausage was a frankfurter type).

IMG_20230315_055324.jpg.9eb1b02921ea65f77fbdd74755c2b958.jpg

Followed by cake.

IMG_20230315_062154.jpg.57859608a2252aaba409224a33a683e2.jpg

With two coffees, all for about £10.

In these surroundings.

IMG_20230315_063945.jpg.6385bcb95af2e3077a601be6fe9c4544.jpg

What's not to like?

17 hours ago, Metal Guru said:

Do buses actually have any springs? The ones round here seem to have a rigid link between the body any the wheels. The whole bus shakes at every bump or pot hole , so every 50 m. Also are bus drivers told not to ease off the brake under any circumstances. ( you know the jolting  stop when you leave your foot planted on the brake pedal.) They ALL do that ffs!

Most modern buses are actually air sprung though I know it doesn't feel like it. That's mainly because the many other joints in the suspension are bolloxed.

Obviously being an ex Routemaster owner I'm biased but they have independent coils on all four corners so ride better than anything else but even they need a decent load to ride properly. They ride far better full than empty. Which makes sense of course. if you set them up to ride well empty then they'd be bouncing off the bump stops when full. When you consider a bus full of passengers will double it's weight it's difficult to find the sweet spot.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Yoss said:

A good train journey is absolutely the best way to travel. Unfortunately there aren't many of those left in this country anymore.

This was a trip from Brno to Prague last year. Even at 5.30 in the morning the restaurant car was open and practically empty. So I had their version of a full English (they were giant baked beans and the sausage was a frankfurter type).

Followed by cake.

In these surroundings.

What's not to like?

That all looks remarkably civilised.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Yoss said:

Followed by cake.

In these surroundings.

What's not to like?

I don't like the motion for a start - makes me feel queasy

Then just the stations and I just prefer travelling in private 

3 hours ago, myglaren said:

That all looks remarkably civilised.

Every two hours there is a train from Prague to Budapest via Brno, Břeclav and Bratislava. They use a mix of Czech, Slovak and Hungarian stock. It's all different but all really good quality and you never know what you're going to get (I'm sure somebody knows but I don't). Whatever the stock, it is usually hauled by a Škoda 109E so that's a bonus too.

On the hours in between there is a train from Prague to Vienna and usually on to somewhere else in Austria which runs the same route as far as Břeclav and is formed of Austrian stock and also has a full restaurant car. So you can get restaurant cars from four different countries on the same route. It is very civilised.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Yoss said:

Followed by cake.

In these surroundings.

What's not to like?

Why am I singing the theme tune from From Russia with love ..... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nyphur said:

One of the very few train journeys I'd happily repeat. Not a rail replacement bus service in sight.

The Czechs (and I suspect Eastern Europeans in general) have a much better way of working though possibly not as safe for the workforce but I'm sure it's okay if you're paying attention.

They will just close one section of line at a time and only on one side. And the App shows you exactly where it is.

So I just found this one on the app.

Screenshot_20240331_161430.jpg.070250b9a55aa70c060602a830b57788.jpg

So it says there is a closure between the two places above that I'm not going to type out because it would take about half an hour. So then you swipe left for this. This shows live running, if it's late the actual times appear in a separate column. But you can see where closure is.

Screenshot_20240331_161513.jpg.af7c0cb19063b5023c0ad06cb4987811.jpg

But unlike here it's not a complete closure. Like I say, it will only be on one side, so at worst you have to wait while a train coming the other way clears the line, then there will probably be a speed restriction past the works. Usually, at most , it will be about a 15 minute delay and the live portal above will tell you how late it is once it has passed that section. You might be lucky and go straight on to the single section and just lose a couple of minutes in the speed restriction.

But as you say, not a rail replacement bus in sight.

Another useful feature of the app is the train formation. Useful if you are a crank, and of no use to 99.9% of the general public but I'm glad it is there. Because you can tell if the train is loco hauled or a multiple unit. This is loco hauled.

Screenshot_20240331_161550.jpg.65672adf2726984755a336646f7edd23.jpg

But still not as good as the Hungarian Railways app which tells you the exact loco or unit on each train so you can find all the old stuff.

• Like 4

There's a nice quiet pub that I come to regularly, about half a mile away is a family campsite which is closed over winter... Until now. 

Now the place is full of fucking amateur drinkers, kids and fannies that put bunting all over their mazda bongos. It's as if these people haven't left their house for 6 months and the concept of a pub meal and a pint is just completely alien. For example the couple next to me have just moved their table so it completely blocks the door out of the kitchen... 

6 hours ago, PicantoJon said:

20240331_114326.jpg.cbfb4f40128d7c629142bec6f281e4be.jpg

Found this whilst changing one of the the injector seals.

Arses. 

1.6HDi?, they can do that without any symptoms, maybe there's been some oil starvation.

3 minutes ago, artdjones said:

1.6HDi?, they can do that without any symptoms, maybe there's been some oil starvation.

That's the one. That was my guess too, annoying seeing how I've been changing oil and filter every 6-7,000 miles. 

12 minutes ago, PicantoJon said:

That's the one. That was my guess too, annoying seeing how I've been changing oil and filter every 6-7,000 miles. 

The only one I've bought that did that had the oil pressure light come on at idle when I got home. It had run perfectly on test a few days before,but then it started knocking. I was able to get another engine very cheaply, so changed it over, but I couldn't help noticing that the sump on the bad engine had a huge dent in it in the vicinity of the oil pickup. No damage to the pickup, but obviously there hadnt been  enough space for oil to get through at high speed. And all the cam lobes had those deep pits.

12 hours ago, artdjones said:

No damage to the pickup, but obviously there hadnt been  enough space for oil to get through at high speed. And all the cam lobes had those deep pits.

From what I could see it was limited to that particular lobe. Doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling. 😬

5 minutes ago, PicantoJon said:

From what I could see it was limited to that particular lobe. Doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling. 😬

Probably best to just run it with regular oil changes until some symptoms manifest themselves.

Full camshaft and follower kits are available, if the worst happens. Approx £300 on eBay with a cambelt kit on top.

i work as a van driver at asda

i hate it

i fucking hate it, i start at 3pm today and i'm really tempted to just not turn up

but alas i need the money

completely inept management, bullying culture, fuck sake i take these jobs for low stress and they're perfect for my income needs

apparently i was meant to be in on friday, despite being told the shift was cancelled and i was about 100 miles away on a day

probably going to get the sack today

don't care

i hate it

My delightful* neighbour Mrs. CUNT has been out screaming in the street at the old lady who lives opposite cunt. Cunt has decided the space in front of Hazel's house is her "reserved" space, for parking of her chav mobile only. She is extra special, and cannot possibly walk an extra 3 yards if she parks behind Hazel's car.

Hazel is unsurprisingly upset at being called a fucking old twat, and being threatened with getting her fucking teeth kicked in if she parks there.

Any top tips, other than a sponsored set fire to chavved up disco day?

• Sad 2

That's threatening behaviour. Tho I don't really expect the plod to do anything about it, but worth a try maybe?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, andyberg said:

That's threatening behaviour. Tho I don't really expect the plod to do anything about it, but worth a try maybe?

I guess the problem is that once they've been round to speak to her, she'll then probably launch a vendetta against the poor neighbour. With people like this, sometimes you need to bide your time and wait for something big to grass on that'll actually have repercussions for them

Hazel's daughter went to have a quiet* word with Mrs Cunt only to get a barrage of abuse, and to be told Cunt is phoning the police right now as daughter is trespassing on her property, and the police will also be arresting Hazel because she's illegally stopping cunt from parking where she wants to. Clearly cunt has been on the special drugs today.

Vendetta is already in full swing, as cunt has previously asserted her rights* to the space. No doubt it's her placing bottles & nails under Hazel's car wheels. Hazel going to get a ring doorbell, though not sure if having evidence will actually help.

I'm sure the police soon put them right if they show.

Then it's another black mark against neighbours...

Is Hazel and others who are affected keeping any sort of log/diary for future reference?

11 minutes ago, andy18s said:

Is Hazel and others who are affected keeping any sort of log/diary for future reference?

There's one neighbour who keeps a decent log on here.

It's absolutely worth reporting it.  Firstly if heaven forbid violence ever did result (not necessarily just to the neighbour), if there's prior history of threatening behaviour on file from this individual it makes the life of the police a lot easier to get things moving quickly and to help make any charges stick because it's not just a one off in incident.

Also this sounds like the sort of crazy individual who they might already have their sights on but short of sufficient probable cause to actually intervene.  A report of them threatening an elderly neighbour to the point they fear for their safety could well be exactly what they need to kick things off.

Make absolutely sure though that if they at any point feel that they fear for their safety that they call 999 without delay.

It would be very funny if CND calls the Police for trespass, especially as criminal trespass only applies in very specific circumstances.   And this isn't one of them.  Would love to see her head explode at that one...

I'll pass on suggestions to Hazel.

She's had a visit from Mr. cunt now, saying please park somewhere else. Mrs. cunt's car cost 30K, and Mrs. cunt must be able to see it at all times for insurance purposes.

£30K for a cat S 2010 disco. Riiiiiiiight.

Apart from anything else mate, you need to do a lord Lucan and get yourself somewhere to give your mental state a good rest

18 minutes ago, andyberg said:

Apart from anything else mate, you need to do a lord Lucan and get yourself somewhere to give your mental state a good rest

Possibly a Reggie Perrin?

Similar outcome but slightly less murdery.

• Haha 1